WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

That's it, Red! It's got you as soon as you start watching.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Theresa, maybe you are right about Young's casting in TWBM...The mystery of why she he made women fell so hard for him, not so obvious...good!

Chris and RedRiver, I'm glad you also liked H.M Pulham Esq., it's a little known Vidor, which should be out on DVD. Maybe it is on the Warner Archive Collection; Need to revisit it again. This is what I wrote at IMDB when I watched it back in 2005:
What a remarkable movie! It contains, as far as I've seen her, Hedy Lamarr's best performance ever...she's luminous here, human, warm, heart-wrenching, not the aloof goddess of other MGM films (which I like too, by the way). She gives a complex, multi-layered performance as a liberal, independent, unprejudiced, modern working woman who falls in love with a lad (grandly impersonated by Robert Young) who comes from an aristocratic, old fashioned, "blue-blood" family from Boston.

They meet while working together in an advertising/publicity company, but their relationship is not an easy one, due to Marvin's (Hedy) unease with his family's morals, mores and ways...

The movie is told in flashback, with Harry Pulham (Robert Young) remembering his childhood and younger days, when he's well into his forties and married to a woman of his same "Social Circle" (Ruth Hussey-what a good actress she was, giving a first-rate performance in a role so different from the one she played the previous year in "The Philadelphia Story").

You can tell this movie was directed by a first rate director like King Vidor, who could handle so well "sociological" issues.

Good performances too by Van Heflin as Young's pal, Bonita Granville as his sister, Charles Coburn as his father et al.

An engrossing film, watch it on TCM, where it's scheduled regularly.
feaito

Post by feaito »

With three other couples we watched "Mrs. Henderson Presents" (2005), a Stephen Frears film for which Judi Dench was Oscar Nominated. I chose this film quite randomly, just by a sort of intuition that it'd be perfect for everybody, and indeed, all of them enjoyed this comedy-drama based on fact.

Denc'h's magnificent as the unique Mrs. Henderson, a rich widow who's having a field day with her new investment: a Vaudeville Theatre, which is run by Producer Bob Hoskins (also grand). Set in between 1937-1944. Tremendously amusing and well-done.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Fer - I loved your review of H.M. Pulham Esq.! It gave me a very good idea of the film without giving too much away, and now I surely must see it!

I have never heard of Mrs. Henderson Presents. I'll be on the lookout for that one as well, it sounds very much like a movie I would go for.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm pretty sure "Pulham" is on DVD. It hasn't been all that long since I watched it. I haven't had VHS in several years. In a vague way, this reminds me of the sweet Ronald Colman vehicle, THE LATE GEORGE APLEY. I'm not sure why. Tone? A sense of duty and tradition? Hard to say. They're both mature and literate.
feaito

Post by feaito »

You are right Red, its' available on the W Archive Collection, I checked it a today in the morning...Haven't seen the Colman filn you mention, Would like to.

Wendy, I don't like giving away too much when I write about a film...spoils the fun. You'll love Mrs. Henderson, one of the production companies is the BBC. Did you receive Mrs. Erlynne? :wink:
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

feaito wrote: Wendy, I don't like giving away too much when I write about a film...spoils the fun. You'll love Mrs. Henderson, one of the production companies is the BBC.
I hope this isn't giving anything away, but as film buffs we should all get extra enjoyment out of viewing MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS as it is a more comprehensive telling of the true story told in the classic film TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT (1945)....just without Rita Hayworth.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I did not know that, thanks Jez! I've never seen that Rita vehicle and I'm not familiar with its plot either. Has it ever aired on TCM? Not on TCM Latin and not released on DVD as far as I know...
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Fe - no, has never played on TCM as far as I know (I've had TCM for 10 years) but I've seen it on US television in past decades. But guess what?????
[youtube][/youtube]

Enjoy!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "The Strange Woman" (1946) directed by Edgar G. Ulmer.

It is a strange movie. Americana film noir? Heddy Lamarr is a determined woman in mid-19th Century Maine who becomes a lumber baroness while driving men to their doom. In some ways, this film is a kissing cousin of "Leave Her to Heaven" and, perhaps, "Mildred Pierce." Ulmer's direction is (naturally) very stylish. The film is about lust, but in such a way that there is nothing to censor. Lamarr gives a good performance as a woman who drives men mad, but I just kept thinking that this is really the type of movie that would fit Barbara Stanwyck much better. I guess this was Ulmer's "biggest" film.
feaito

Post by feaito »

:D Thanks Jez!! :D
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I loved Mrs. Henderson Presents. It told of the WWII bombings and how Mrs Henderson entertained the troops in her underground bomb sheltering building.

Another WWII movie is "The Last Of The Blond Bombshells" with Judi Dench and also The Last of the Blonde Bombshells also stars Leslie Caron, Olympia Dukakis, and jazz vocalist Cleo Laine. It is a fun movie about a war band of women who try to comeback for a Prom gig.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for that recommendation Uncle Stevie!
feaito

Post by feaito »

On Saturday and Sunday I saw:

"The Star of Midnight" (1935). A greatly amusing Whodunit released by RKO "inspired" by MGM's success of the previous year': "The Thin Man", starring Bill Powell as well, as a debonair and suave (what else?) lawyer who likes playing the detective. The Star of the title disappears one night and everybody's looking for her. Ginger Rogers plays Powell's "groupie" and she's fine chemistry with him. Recommended viewing for Classic '30s mysteries fans.

"Valentine's Day" (2010). A film greatly inspired by Britain's 2003 "Love Actually", but not as good. Ideal for watching with your better-half, if overlong and overstuffed with too much leading actors. Light as a feather.

"Drama" (2010). A Chilean film that's too self-conscious about being sophisticated, avant-garde and intellectual. Good performances, but not easy to swallow or to follow. The director of this film -Matía Lira- must be an admirer of the Nouvelle Vague. :wink:

"The Shawshank Redemption" (1994). A film that had been on my pending list for "decades". It's ranked N° 1 at imdb.com and many people complain about it! Nevertheless, quite compelling, well acted and absorbing -if rather predictable at times- story of an educated man (Tim Robbins) unfairly convicted for murder. He and Morgan Freeman (as a fellow inmate) are superb. Engrossing.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

People complain about SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION? Good Heavens! That movie is outstanding. It's actually better than the book. How often does that happen?

I watched THE ACTRESS. Jean Simmons as young Ruth Gordon, aspiring, and incredibly naieve, actress. The great Spencer Tracy her crusty old father. This is very much a play. Most of the action takes place in one room. But it's a play well staged by George Cukor. The characters are good. The dialogue intelligent. The cast? Well...

Jean Simmons was always good. Here, she virtually explodes with vitality. Just the way a young dreamer would do. Tracy is quirky, cantankerous and perfect. This is one of those performances where you just marvel at the depth of this truly fantastic actor. I've forgotten who plays the mother. She, also, is exceptional.

The movie was based on Gordon's autobiographical play, YEARS AGO. It's a sensitive account of a family's coming to grips with "The Theatre Bug."