Westerns

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Westerns

Post by movieman1957 »

Probably. It may even be the beginning of something like "Dodge City." (The Flynn clip later on.) But I don't recognize the stage drivers.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I didn't recognize them either. It also might be from the dance hall girls picture - did you recognize those pink and blue ladies?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I bet you are right, those dance hall girls have Warners written all over them!

Maven, the John Wayne turning scene is in the Searchers, I believe, I am almost 99% sure. Maybe someone can correct me on this, or back me up. I was so sure when I first looked that it was.

I am not sure about the clip where he has the red checked shirt on though.
Last edited by JackFavell on March 28th, 2012, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

No. I didn't even recognize the underwear.

The red shirt Wayne scene is also "The Searchers."
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:No. I didn't even recognize the underwear.
HA!!!

I swear I just saw that movie, too...with the girls doing the "Can-Can" (I assume).

Here are the ones I remember glimpsing in my first viewing of the video (in random order):

Stagecoach (1939), The Searchers, The Tin Star, The Professionals (not sure---one of the train scenes looked familiar), Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, My Darling Clementine, Fort Apache (I think a cavalry rush may be from this), Once Upon a Time in the West, Destry Rides Again, Winchester '73, High Noon, Shane, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, Jeremiah Johnson, Firecreek, 3:10 to Yuma, Nevada Smith, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Red River, Rio Bravo (the explosion near the beginning, maybe?), The Wild Bunch, Ride the High Country, The Magnificent 7, 40 Guns, No Name on the Bullet, Duel in the Sun, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Hondo

Questionable: Dodge City? (the Flynn/De Havilland western clips); younger John Wayne movie clip where he shoots a Mexican guy, right after Kirk Douglas' knife throwing clip; the Indian brave shooting a rifle
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The Wayne clip shooting the Mexican most likely is "Red River." I think the Indian with the rifle is "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon." (That is mainly because there are other clips in the piece from that movie.) Still not sure about the later Eastwood shot with the big hat.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Brilliant detective work, Miss G!

I looked up some clips from Dodge City and though they didn't have the entire movie on youtube, every clip shown had a sheen of pink and blue over it, just like those dance hall girls. The tones of the movie seem to favor pinkish reds and blues. When I look at those train scenes, they seem awash in those colors in the same way to me.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The color in Dodge City is gorgeous, it's one of the prettiest looking westerns of the 30s. But then I'm a fan of the lovely, saturated tones of early (pre-1940s) Technicolor.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

DODGE CITY is a beautiful looking movie. Flynn appeared in some nice little westerns. SANTA FE TRAIL is wonderful. Non-classic fans may giggle at Ronald Reagan as Custer. But it's a charming, exciting adventure. THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON, Flynn as the general this time, is well scripted and dramatic. VIRGINIA CITY loses steam as it progresses. But the Civil War story is fascinating.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I have to agree with MissGoddess regarding the color photography. Today's audiences have grown so accustomed to color that it is still a treat to see the way color was used in those earlier films. Rich, luscious.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, those films were breathtakingly beautiful! There's just nothing like them and that is what caught my eye in those shots from the video.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Randolph Scott's (cue chorus) "Santa Fe" is a typically pleasant enough fare from the Scott and Brown catalog. Scott and his three brothers are defeated Southern army soldiers in post Civil War time that deal with their loss of the war differently. Scott feels it is all over and if they are going to get along they have to let things go. The brothers aren't ready. They get into some trouble and are soon on the run.

Scott runs into someone he knows who gives him a job building a railroad. The brothers would rather disrupt the process and try and make an illegal living along the way. Naturally, they clash.

Nice colorful photography and a pretty good climax help it along. If you come knowing you're getting a plain old typical film you'll be okay. That may also be enough to disappoint you.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey who play the brothers? I'm going to guess one is Robert Preston. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

No one I knew though one did look familiar. They were made up of Jerome Courtland, Peter Thompson and John Archer. Preston would have given it some heft.

That is one problem with the film is that the brothers aren't particularly menacing. At one point late in the film one fails to react to another getting shot. They all still get along pretty well. Scott cares enough to try and persuade them but there is some double crossing going on.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh that's too bad, though I am starting to appreciate these small normal westerns almost as much as the bigger, more important westerns. Scott is an interesting presence on film, pretty much in whatever he's in. It's taken me awhile but I am warming to him.