WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
MikeBSG

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched Alfred Hitchcock's "Topaz."

It turned out to be a lot more interesting than I expected. Perhaps the film's problem is that it is too "epic" to be "suspenseful."

Two things surprised me. I really liked Roscoe Lee Browne and the sequence in which he slips into the Cuban suite to photograph the document. That was really first-rate Hitchcock.

The other thing that surprised me was how much I liked John Vernon's performance as the Cuban official who realizes that Karin Dor is a traitor and kills her so she won't be tortured. I have seen Vernon countless times, but he never had as much of an impact on me as he did here.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I love Topaz. Here's my ancient thread (with Marnie [1964]) on the film. Incidentally, I was not having an argument with myself in the thread, but another poster, who left the forum, deleting all his posts.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 55&start=0
feaito

Post by feaito »

Last night I watched the other film based upon a non-horror Stephen King book that had eluded me: "The Green Mile" (1999), directed as well by Frank Darabont, set in a prison too and nominated to Academy Awards, and apparently won none?

This film is more moving than "The Shawshank Redemption" (1994). The central character, "Big" John Coffey is one of the most endearing characters in film history; a pure soul if I ever saw one -Michael Clark Duncan is magnificent- On the other hand, Doug Hutchison (Percy) plays one of the most despicable and unpleasant character ever...My wife was weeping at the end of the 3 hour and sth. film. Fabulous; liked it too much.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Watched Spileberg's "The Adventures of Tintin" (2011), an amusing flick that did not meet my expectations.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

'Nando, I watched it yesterday, also. I thought it was just above a 'dud'. It went on forever, with so much unnecessary violence, didn't add to the movie at all. The voice actors were good, but I was ready to hit the 'stop' button...
feaito

Post by feaito »

It should have captured better the essence of the original Tintin....
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday I watched "The Anniversary," (1968) directed by Roy Ward Baker and starring Bette Davis.

It was okay. Not really my kind of film. I guess I had two problems with it. First, the structure. It seemed that every 7 minutes there would be a shocking revelation, and this rapidly became old or emphasized the artificial nature of the film.

My other problem was that the youngest son's fiancee, the only nice character in the movie, was too nice. Bette Davis' character kept insisting that the fiancee would turn into another version of herself to trap the son. I just couldn't see that happening. I would have liked an actress in that part who could give the impression she could grow up and be Bette Davis.

Anyway, the success of this film let Baker go on to make some of my favorite horror films: "Five Milllion Years to Earth," "The Vampire Lovers," "Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde," "Asylum" and "And Now the Screaming Starts."

Speaking of Roy (Ward) Baker, Cal Thomas' column today dealt with all the Titanic hoopla. Thomas quickly dismissed "A Night to Remember" as an inaccurate "Hollywood" film about the disaster. Get your facts right, Cal.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love The Actress. The acting is pitch-perfect, PERFECT. The blending of amusement and pain makes it a hard watch for me, I don't think I could bear it if Tracy did not turn out the way he does!There is a double thrill with this movie that you can watch Jean playing Ruth and see both of them in it. I am fascinated with Ruth Gordon and how she ended up with the career she had. I can't decide if she is normal in a crazy world, or an oddball who sticks out like a sore thumb. Anyway, there is something about her that makes me interested in her thoughts and background. I get the impression from this movie that she willed herself to be fascinating and actually managed it!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

MikeBSG,

As I believe you are suggesting, Cal Thomas is thinking of TITANIC, the silly but enjoyable melodrama with Clifton Webb and Ms. Stanwyck. To be perfectly honest, I like it better than the more clinical British film! It has that GRAND HOTEL quality many of us appreciate. Webb delivers the performance of his impressive career. It's a sensitive, well written role.

Fact checking is easier now than ever before. Yet the results are worse. Maybe there are just too many facts to check. The Chicago Tribune once described a boxing film with William Holden and Barbara Stanwyck called BODY AND SOUL. Boxing? Yes. BODY AND SOUL? No!

Jackie DeFavell,

Acting is what carries THE ACTRESS, and "Perfect" is the word for it. An ensemble of pretty good players would have gotten lost in this subtle, quirky material. The audience would not have stood for it. Instead we got a group of supremely talented performers, all in tip-top shape. Spectacular work!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The worst faux pas I've ever seen was by the film critic of the NY Times who last year stated in one article that Cary Grant and Grace Kelly bantered suggestively in North by Northwest. I mean, C'mon! You are a film critic for the NY Times! I can understand the slip up happening, but it's pretty huge to have missed correcting it before getting into print.

Red, do you remember in THE MEN WHO MADE THE MOVIES Cukor talking about Spencer Tracy in THE ACTRESS - the scene where he is watching Jean sing and dance? Cukor said that he watched Tracy's face as the camera rolled, and the way his expressions changed. Tracy apparently actually turned red at one point, watching his daughter. That's acting.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Grace Kelly bantered so suggestively she looked like Eva Marie Saint!

Garson Kanin swore Spencer Tracy could look unshaven without make-up. That's hard to believe. But that's the story!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

No, Cal Thomas referred to the 1953 "Titanic" as well as "A Night to Remember."

I remember when "Film Comment" had its "Guilty Pleasure" column in the early 80s. The playright Christopher Durang talked about several films, including the 1953 "Titanic." That may have spoiled the picture for me, although I have to say I liked Barbara Stanwyck in that film. But then I like her in everything.

Has anyone else seen the 1943 German "Titanic"?
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

MikeBSG wrote:Has anyone else seen the 1943 German "Titanic"?
Yes I have. It was broadcast a few days ago over here. It's a typical piece of Nazi propaganda. The owner wants to win 'the Blue Ribbon' at all cost even if it means risking the life of the passengers. The only heroic figure on board is a German officer (oh surprise!). That said the film is rather well done, except that the posh ladies on board are pretty overdressed and wear typical 40s hairdos and make-up. The man (Herbert Selpin) who directed the film was later arrested and killed by the Nazis (who made it look like suicide). And Goebbels banned the film. He thought the sinking looked too frightening for the civilians of the time, who were themselves being bombarded daily.

I saw A Night to Remember some years back on BBC and didn't like it much. Everybody looked so heroic and stiff-upper-lip, it looked unbelievable to me. A bit like Kenneth More in Reach for the Sky (that one is a real hoot!). But I guess it's far better than this overlong piece of bore called Titanic vintage 1997. I had to watch it on board a plane when I went once from London to San Diego....OMG! What a bore....!
Last edited by Ann Harding on April 12th, 2012, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.