Do You Have Trouble getting others to watch classics?

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Do You Have Trouble getting others to watch classics?

Post by movieman1957 »

We were with some friends on Sunday and after lunch we were going through some Youtube clips. The Bride decides she wants to show everyone Laurel and Hardy's "Towed In A Hole." With the preface from her that it was only twenty minutes it started. There were mixed reactions.

A couple of the men thought it was funny. One of the wives seemed to think it wasn't smart that you could see the gag coming. I did mention that it was part of the fun because of how it actually plays out. She did laugh at times. A couple of others found things (texting) to do until we could get to their good stuff - "Seinfeld." That's when I found something else to do.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

I say play Laurel & Hardy along side some contemporary music to get the young folks interested. You know, mix in The Boys antics with a little Katy Perry, or a little Justin Bieber (very little), or some fashionable rapper who's name I cannot pronounce. Or even that most modern of song-smith............Allan Sherman!

[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I love Allan Sherman. "One Hippopotami" is a classic. But I digress....
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Hello, Ollie!
Hello, Stanley!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh man, Gary J, I needed that! Beautiful.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Wonderful!
Chris

Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

Thanks everyone.
I don't know if it will stay up as Warner Records has a claim on the Sherman tune.
This video will look rather pointless if the soundtrack is taken off.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, I just want you to know, I showed this video to my entire family, who are all classic film comedy fanatics, as well as Allan Sherman fans. Everyone loved it, but the best reaction of all was my daughter's (who doesn't know Allan Sherman at all). I am indebted to you for inspiring her...

We have movie night now, usually on Tuesday because there are no after school activities.

She loved the video, recognized some of the movies, and then went looking for a movie, since it was her turn to pick. Her first choice was Despicable Me, but because we could not stream it, she went to pick another film. Apparently, she spotted Duck Soup in the listings so we settled in to watch. She absolutely LOVED it, though she says her favorite is still Horse Feathers. She laughed like a crazy person through the movie, especially at

"His Excellency's car!"

and the whole section with Edgar Kennedy and the lemonade stand.

We had a very enjoyable night, so thanks for inspiring Alice to pick a classic film. Oh, and during the mirror scene, she asked if that's where Lucy got the idea.

My job as a parent is done. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Alice has excellent taste. I love "Duck Soup." My Maureen loves "Horse Feathers."

Of course, we had a different Tuesday night. I had practice at church and Maureen had a anxiety attack over her car. How we both long for the days when she was Alice's age.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My first look at these two Marx classics was at a midnight showing in college. Any chance I had of becoming a normal person ended that night!
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

Allan Sherman may of had a short life span as a top comedy recording artist but a lot of what he did still sounds good today (at least to me...)
During his heyday he toured a lot in concert settings and I always wondered how often he performed this number live? It's orchestration calls out for a rather large orchestra as opposed to most of his other tunes. "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh" could get by with just a pizzicato violin.

How old is your daughter Jack? My brother has 3 kids between the ages of 7 to 15 that I periodically attempt to brainwash them with my classic collection. Sometimes these film compilations work better at initiating the young to other forms of cinema. They're not as long, you see.
(Dam that attention-span deficit.)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My parents had Sherman's "My Son, The Folk Singer" and My Son, The Nut" of the original LP. I still have them. My children love his stuff and my daughter still has his Greatest Hits CD on her ipod.

I always enjoyed the liner note that read something like "recorded at a big Hollywood Party." I always thought it great that he was able to make everything so Jewish so mainstream. It helped that he had a decent voice but not a great one.
Chris

Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

Well, it was the 60s. Jewish humor was mainstream then. Come to think of it, John Stewart keeps it alive every night on the Daily Show. Maybe it's never left us. And Sherman had a comic singing voice which suited his material to a tee. Before he hit it big as a best-selling recording artist he had a long productive career in television as a writer/producer. He helped create "I've Got a Secret". I remember reading somewhere that he was instrumental in getting Bil Cosby's first albums recorded. I believe Cosby even offers some liner notes on one of Sherman's albums.

Back in my record collecting days I had all of his albums along side of my Sinatra, Crosby, Astaire and big band albums. People would always ask who he was but the moment I played a tune they would instantly recognize him.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My young nephew likes Bill Cosby's albums. Some things never grow old!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Why is there air?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles