To Kill A Mockingbird

CharlieT

Re: To Kill A Mockingbird

Post by CharlieT »

I just watched this on Netflix last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I always list "Hey, Boo." as my favorite line from a movie. The dawning realization in Scout's face is one of the most magical moments of the entire movie.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It is a lovely moment when she greets Boo because now she is not afraid. In a moment all those thoughts are gone. It's gentle and subtle.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

There are some half dozen books that have impressed and moved me more than any others. This is one of them.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I got a question: Did Atticus get paid for taking on the case of Tom Robinson? If so, then is he really that heroic? Lawyers are supposed to defend people that have been accused of crimes. In what way did he do something remarkable? Sure, he was pressured by the whole town not to defend Tom, but that's a risk that every lawyer is aware of when they decide to enter this field:

1. Some people are gonna hate you for defending the accused one.
2. Some people are gonna hate you for failing to prove the innocence of an accused person.

It's part of the occupation, a occupation which Atticus Finch chose to have and one which he probably always did his best in.

Now, I'm not saying that he didn't care about the racial injustice in this situation, but how can we (first time viewers) really be sure that he wasn't just doing his job when he was in the courtroom?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Heroic may be too strong a word. I'm pretty sure he didn't get paid. This was in the days before you were entitled to a lawyer. Tom Robinson certainly didn't have any money. If he was going to get paid at all it would have been some kind of trade.

I think he would have done it because no one else would he knew it needed to be done. I think that is what makes the post trial scene in the courtroom so powerful. He took on more than defending him in court. Where he stayed outside the jailhouse was beyond his duty. I think for 1930's Alabama you might have a case for thinking he might have put his family at risk.

Short of murder this may be the worst crime, from a public perception standpoint, that a black man could be charged with in that time.

I think the film is about Scout watching her father do the right thing and the relationship they shared.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

In the book, Atticus is appointed to the job. The sheriff explains to Scout that a number of people did the right thing, but did it quietly. The court appointing her father was such a case. The issue of compensation doesn't bother me. Today's social workers are paid. Yet, they still perform noble duties. Nurses are paid well. But they give and give and give as much as any profession I know of. It's this desire to serve that inspires people to pursue certain careers. I'm quite sure Mr. Finch is one of those people!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

If memory serves me correctly, in the film's back story, Heck Tate, the Sheriff, is instrumental in bringing the case to Atticus' attention, rightly figuring that he would be the one attorney in town who would give Tom Robinson a good defense.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

That's true. That's why I thought they asked him because his conscience wouldn't let him say no.
Chris

Nick

Post by Nick »

I just think that the title "the greatest hero in American film" is too much. And also, why did his kids call him by his name and not just say dad? Talk about formal family relations, lol.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Nick, in the Southern part of the United States, it was not uncommon to call parents by their first names at that time. It was more a symbol of a warm and loving relationship.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My father and his brothers called their father by his first name. I don't think they did that with their mother.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If anyone is interested the first chapter "Go Set A Watchman" is published in The Wall Street Journal today.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/harper-lees ... 1436500861
Chris

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Was this movie was on TCM recently, I'll scream my head off because I have been wanting to see this movie for a very long time.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Yes. I think even twice within a month or so. I don't see it listed again for the foreseeable future.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Am I overreacting in thinking this is the most exciting literary event in decades? Even Hemingway and his contemporaries didn't go unpublished for 50 years. And this one features some, or at least one, of the same beloved characters. This is monumental!