Shall We Dance, but not Astaire version

stuart.uk

Shall We Dance, but not Astaire version

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler

I accidently came across a delightful modern day musical Shall We Dance with Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Jennifer Lopez.Though it's a 21st Century Musical, I felt it paid homage to the classical movies of the 30s and 40s. I can't help thinking Richard Gere became more attractive with his grey hair than in his younger 'Officer And A Gentlman' days. I also recently watched him play Emila Earheart's husband in a biopic of the great lady avaitor where she also had an affair with a character played by Scot's actor Ewan McGreggor. No disrespect to my fellow Scot, but why would a girl have an affair with him when she already had Richard Gere?

However, back to the move. Gere was a fed up Lawyer, who from a train saw Jennifer Lopez dancing. He became obbessed by her and joined the dance class where she taught. However, he was mainly instructed by an older female dancer. He did at one point ask Lopez out for dinner, but was told in no uncertain terms he was wasting his time. However, by now he'd caught the dancing bug, though he kept wife Susan Sarandon in the dark. Sarandon, by now had hired a
PI to find out if he was having an affair.

I did get a little worried a little worried at the hints that Lopez, who was beginging to warm to Gere, might have an affair with him and the same with Sarandon and her PI. I felt it would have spoilt the delightful innocence of the movie. To my delight that didn't happen with Lopez going off to the World capital of ballroom Blackpool and the now acclompished Gere teaching his wife how to dance.
JackFavell

Re: Shall We Dance, but not Astaire version

Post by JackFavell »

I've never been too crazy about Gere, and I would go for MacGregor like a shot! This sounds like a charming movie, I'd never heard of it before, but I usually don't pay too much attention to Gere or Lopez.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

this is a remake of a MARVELOUS Japanese movie, which is much, much better than the Richard Gere movie of the same title. Even though it is subtitled, you barely have to read them to know what is going on. There is a much better story about the young female dance instructor, a much better story about the man who yearns first for her,and then to achieve success in learning to dance. The others in the cast are just as interesting as the leads. If you can, seek it out!

here is just a small piece of the movie:

[youtube][/youtube]
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I luuved the Gere movie and I think Richard Gere is a better actor personality in his senior years than before. There are so many movies he made that I liked.

Another "Dance" movie I like very much is "Dance With Me" with Vanessa Williams, Chayanne, Kris Christopherson, and Joan Plowright. It is a story of a Cuban adult BOy who is invited to America by the owner of a dance studio to do maintenance work for the business. He falls for Vanessa Williaams who is a beautiful Professional Dancer and the story goes on from there. They discover he has a natural dancing talent and enters a Ballroom dance contest with Jane Krakowski as his partner. It is a good love story with much dancing. All should like it.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

JackFavell wrote:I've never been too crazy about Gere, and I would go for MacGregor like a shot! This sounds like a charming movie, I'd never heard of it before, but I usually don't pay too much attention to Gere or Lopez.
For once Wendy we don't agree, whilst I wouldn't class Richard Gere as one of the best movie actors of his generation he's always interesting and is a bit of a risk taker with the roles he takes, I've always thought he was a bit special which is unusual as my favourites tend to be dead.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Heehee, me too, I really go for them if they have been gone for at least 20 years.

I certainly like Gere better now than when he was more of a leading man, he obviously wants to be an actor not a star, which is admirable.
charliechaplinfan

Yes, in the beginning his film roles was based on how good looking he was and how many clothes he was prepared to shed, I personally woludn't have thought he'd have lasted that long as an actor but he made some good choices in his later years.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've known a few women who love that grey hair. (That's good news for me!) A lot of people took notice of Gere with INTERNAL AFFAIRS. He played a huge ***hole, and played it well. Then PRETTY WOMAN came along; the romantic Gere. Not long ago, I caught most of UNFAITHFUL, an oddly unpredicatable story of adultery and its repercussions. Sad and different. I liked it.

I'm not forgetting AMERICAN GIGOLO. I'm merely focusing on the not so young part of his career.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I can't lie...I like Richard Gere. I was all over him back in the day.

Image Image Image

Whether he was a young pup trying to decide what to wear ( and dressing to a Smoky Robinson song in "American Gigolo" ) - or the romantic leading matinee idol who needed a comeuppance a la "An Officer and A Gentleman" - or - the mature leading man, I've always enjoyed watching his work. I especially liked him in "Internal Affairs" where he was an S.O.B. cop that was almost too much for Andy Garcia to handle; "Primal Fear" where Edward Norton was the only thing that could tear my eyes away from Gere; and (for me) the very very enjoyable "Final Analysis" with Gere and his "No Mercy" costar, Kim Basinger...another film I enjoyed him in. Speaking of "No Mercy", I've got to get that movie.

"Unfaithful" - I really liked this film. Love Diane Lane...and as for Olvier Martinez, what a delicious French pastry HE is.

Yes Richard (and Olivier - Halle Berry's latest beau) shall we dance? I'll certainly follow his lead.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really liked Unfaithful too, but I'm afraid I like the co-stars you mentioned, Ed Norton and Andy Garcia, better than Gere himself. I do admire his steady work on his craft. He just doesn't do anything for me. It's not that I won't watch him, he's just so bland to me.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I hear you. The other two have more texture, character to their roles. But as Countess DeLave said, "I didn't pick him for character." ;-)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

HA! Good one, T! :lol: :lol: :lol:
charliechaplinfan

Wonderful :D it sums up his earlier career, I haven't seen some of the films mentioned here, I guess I should if I call myself a Richard Gere fan.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think this thread just changed Geres!
charliechaplinfan

Thank you Nancy for recommending the Japanese version of this movie, I rented it from love film, I'm not used to Japanese comedy but this film had a real light touch and was both delightful and very easy to watch. I loved the scenes of the Tower Ballroom which is half an hour from here. I love watching dancing and I enjoyed all the petty rivalries and tantrums that dance comes with the dance circuit. I'm going to succumb and rent the Richard Gere version, just because he's a handsome kind of guy and I think he'll be kind of sweet in this role. I've read reviews that say that Jennifer Lopez is really miscast as the dance teacher and is somewhat grumpy throughout but I'm not going to let that put me off Richard Gere learning to dance.