YOU Tube'n

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: YOU Tube'n

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, great! I love this period of British movies from Gainsborough, full of guilty pleasures and stories that fed the lonely hearts of a vast wartime audience of women longing for escape, affection, and a vicarious expression of largely unacknowledged passion. If you like Madonna of the Seven Moons, I think that the Victorian era Fanny By Gaslight (1943) with Patricia Calvert, Stewart Granger and James Mason and The Man in Grey (1943) might be enjoyable for you too.

I would most like to recommend Love Story (1944), a film with the WWII-era setting with Granger and Margaret Lockwood. It is particularly enjoyable for Lockwood and Patricia Roc's performances and the swooning music. I once read a critic's dismissal of this movie as "garbage." Clearly, that man has never tried to gain much insight into the heart of an adolescent female.

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Moira! I love Margaret Lockwood so I will definitely be watching LOVE STORY (which I bet is a heck of a lot better than the 70s movie).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Another treasure trove of movies! Thanks everyone!
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

MissGoddess wrote:Let me know what you think of it, Jez!
Ah well, it's a Gainsborough isn't it, and your enjoyment may vary (as Moira states) based upon if these films are your cup of tea. I enjoy watching these films, and found this one to be very entertaining, but didn't quite meet my expectations in regards to the story - guess I was hoping for a more positive resolve of Maddelena's psychological issue. I did think Patricia Calvert did a fine job with the role; was hoping to like Stewart Granger more, but those pack of Gypsies turned out to be more nasty than romantic, although
I thought it quite fun seeing Nancy Price (I Know Where I'm Going) as their matriarch. Overall, nice to see this, but one of the lesser Gainsboroughs for me.

I see Fernando and AnnHarding discussed this film earlier:
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... nna#p86950
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Don't miss the piece on James Mason: The Dark Young God posted by Susan Doll at the Movie Morlocks today. It all relates to the Gainsborough films as well as some of his better later movies such as The Reckless Moment.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

There's a lovely website devoted to the multi talented and fascinating Nancy Price and her home in Findon here: http://www.findonvillage.com/0361_margot_and_nancy.htm
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Quite fascinating indeed! Perhaps a bit of that English eccentric quality - dedicating a memorial to pigeons killed on active service during the war - love it!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love that, Jez! :D

I wish there were more info on Nancy Price, she was an extremely interesting person.
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

MissGoddess wrote:I'm thrilled to find that someone uploaded Gary Cooper's last film and his only real "thriller", The Naked Edge (1961), co-starring Deborah Kerr.
I'm not sure what a real thriller means but Coop did make a war-time nuclear espionage thriller, CLOAK & DAGGER, back in 1946. In some ways it is a precursor to Hitchcock's TORN CURTAIN in the use of a storyline that recruits a scientist to become a spy. Fritz Lang is on hand to punch up a few scenes, such as this one...
[youtube][/youtube]
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

You're right, Cloak and Dagger is a thriller, I was just thinking of the more psychological kind, vs. spies and wartime activity. There's one fight scene in C&D that's really brutal, one of the harshest I've seen. The General Died at Dawn is also an adventure thriller, but not a psychological one either.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

The fight you are thinking of could be the one included in the link above. Coop and Marc Lawrence get all handsie with each other as they tussle in a doorway taking turns gouging each others eyes out. Lang fills the soundtrack with the outside street ambiance as the two men fight almost in silence.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The Gainsborough movies are guilty pleasures. I adore Phyllis Calvert, she's the archetypal English Rose and perfect in many of her movies including Madonna of The Seven Moons and James Mason is so dastardly in the Gainsboroughs, these roles don't make full use of his acting talent but he's an excellent baddie, far more exciting and attractive than the good guys in these movies.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I had a post prepared yesterday for D-Day but life intervened and I never got it posted.

So, in memory of all those whose actions that day make the freedom we have today possible, here is some remarkable color footage of that moment, so vivid it looks as though it occurred only yesterday:

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I saw that footage when I was in Normandy last year, in the town of Avranches where the mulberry harbours were assembled. It makes one think how much we owe to those men.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin