The Newsroom

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

The Newsroom

Post by mrsl »

I hope some of you are watching this new offering to HBO from Arron Sorkin. Jeff Daniels is marvelous as a self exiled news anchor after causing some sort of horrible goof on screen but is back on a small innocuous cable station with a very young group of assistants out in the newsroom. He decides he's going to offer the news instead of the latest divorce or star who went into therapy, so when there is a seemingly minor oil spill in the ocean, he latches on to it and is the first with the exclusive on the massive oil spill of a couple of years ago. As he did in The West Wing, Sorkin takes actual events from the news and portrays them as fictional happenings. I DVR this each week because I have a feeling I will want to review the show when it is cancelled as I expect it will be soon because the average TV viewer doesn't know how to take Sorkin. If you recall, it took about 3 seasons for The West Wing to build a real following, and sadly, I can't even remember the name of the TV/media station program a few years ago starring Matthew Perry. However, I love Sorkins work and his way of combining serious and comedy as happens in normal daily life.

Does anyone watch The Newsroom, and if so, do you have any comments about it?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: The Newsroom

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

The show after West Wing was Studio 60.

I am really enjoying The Newsroom. I think Sam Waterston is doing some of the best work of his career as Charlie. And Jeff Daniels is just terrific in the lead role. My only drawback is the love story (or ex-love story) between Daniel's character and his producer played by Emily Mortimer. It feels strained and the dialog around it in the first few episodes brought the action to a stand still.

However, this week, it looks as if they might have had a breakthrough and can move forward without rehashing the relationship every 15 minutes.

Here's hoping, because if they can move that story line to the back burner and concentrate on the news aspects of the show and the interaction between the staff and the higher ups, that's when it really clicks!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've not really seen any of it except a scene where Sam has a fight with Jane Fonda. Inspired lunacy to have Jane as head of the network. Apparently being married to Ted Turner did have a benefit for her career. Inside experience.

Are they preaching or dealing with news?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Sorry movieman but the thought never even occurred to me that Jane might make use of any personal payback. She handled that role so well that all I saw was a woman entirely capable of controlling a TV news channel. Jane has never yet brought any of her past marital experiences into her work and I doubt that she is starting at this late date. I know a lot of people still harbor resentments towards Jane for her childish actions during the Vietnam era, but those same people idolize druggies like Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, cowards like Ted Kennedy, and so on, and so on. It's time to accept she was just as young and stupid as many of us were in our 20's and 30's but because we are unknowns, nobody can continue to remember our flaws except perhaps close family and friends.

Oddly I was never a great fan of Sam in Law and Order, but in this he seems more relaxed and 'in place'. As for the past romance, I wish it had never been mentioned because it has no viable use in this storyline unless Sorkin plans to bring something up later.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The previews of this show look really good. I don't have HBO.