Comedy - Romantic and Otherwise

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
movieman1957
Administrator

Comedy - Romantic and Otherwise

Post by movieman1957 »

Just like some of the other forums maybe a thread for movies that won't have their own thread. So for romantic comedies and other types can go here.

The Bride and I watched "The Thrill of It All" with James Garner and Doris Day. It's a fun film. It is so of its time but there are some fun things in it. Garner plays a doctor who becomes overshadowed by his wife (Day) when she becomes a popular TV commercial star. There's a lot of play about the roles of husbands and wives but the real treat is in some of the dialog. With supporting roles of Zasu Pitts and Reginald Owen and a "TV" cameo from Carl Reiner there is fun to be found here. The kids are also lots of fun and contribute mightily to the feel of the film.

Sure some of it is a bit ridiculous (the finale) and it is probably 15 minutes too long but I think if you like Day and the type of 60s kind of romantic comedy then this may be right up your alley.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Re: Comedy - Romantic and Otherwise

Post by MissGoddess »

While I prefer Move Over, Darling, I like some of the bits when the doctor (Garner) is helping the pregnant woman when they're stuck in traffic. (Like the guy who sells the husband his newspaper for an exhorbitant amount and then offers to sell him anything else).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The first hurdle to overcome is the idea of Arlene Francis and Edward Andrews having a baby at their age. In real time she was 56.

It's been some time since I saw "Move Over, Darling" as I really like "My Favorite Wife" so I think "Why bother?" but I guess I should watch it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I guess you could say Arlene Francis was being depicted ahead of her time what with women freezing their "eggs" and having babies later these day, haa!

There is no way that Move Over, Darling can touch My Favorite Wife so in my mind I simply think of it on its own as a 60s fluffy and I also think about the fact that Marilyn was supposed to do this film with Dean Martin and Cyd Charisse. If you have never seen the footage Cukor managed to get before Marilyn was out, it's very interesting to compare. There are two scenes fairly complete and two other shorter ones, including the infamous pool scene where she's nude. But what makes it worth checking out is seeing Marilyn with the kids, it's very touching, and I sorely wish she could have finished the film if only to see her on screen for the first time as a mother.

With Move Over, Darling, I find funniest Doris' spying on Garner and Polly Bergen in their hotel room, and of course, the courtroom asides with Edgar Buchanan as judge.
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Having seen the first half of the unfinished Something's Got To give with Marilyn, Cyd Charisse and Dean Martin, I can't help but think it would have been a classic. As far as I believe, after being fired MM was reinstated, but died before filming could resume. It later became Move Over Darling
Last edited by stuart.uk on August 16th, 2011, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

stuart.uk wrote:It later became The Thrill Of It All
Move Over, Darling. :wink:
-- Will Rogers
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I've been enjoying 1937's movie satire Stand-In, with Leslie Howard (whom, I've found, seemed better suited to comedy), Joan Blondell, and Humphrey Bogart. Lots of fun so far - I only made it halfway last night before I had to call it a night and get myself to bed for work in the morning.

I've had two Paulette Goddard vehicles set aside for a while now, and might try to work them in this week while school's still out: Suddenly It's Spring (1947) and Standing Room Only (1944).
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Sorry got my movie titles mixed up
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I recently read an interview with George Cukor who dismissed Marilyn as an actress and said the footage shot with her was unusable, yet I've seen some of the clips and I'd thought there would have been another hit for Fox. I'm sure she would have had great chemistry with Dean Martin and like Miss G says she was touching with the children.

Great idea for a thread :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

People are often appalled that I like romantic comedies. They are, in fact, my favorite type of movie. My peers have an unexplained disdain for the genre. It took me years to realize they're thinking of the latest Sandra Bullock meets anybody named Jason story. Something basically about young people using cell phones. Dude! I'm talking about Howard Hawks, Billy Wilder, and that little Chaplin fellow. That's romantic comedy!

BALL OF FIRE
THE APARTMENT
ANNIE HALL
CITY LIGHTS
MODERN TIMES
HOLIDAY
THE PHILADELPHIA STORY
MY MAN GODFREY

That's romantic comedy!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What a great list! I love all of those. I do like While You Were Sleeping with Bullock.

I'll see your list and raise you

It Happened One Night
Harold and Maude
Midnight
What's Up Doc?
Roman Holiday
The Desk Set
Ninotchka
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Love in the Afternoon
A Little Romance
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Wall-E
The Lady Eve
His Girl Friday
Four Weddings and a Funeral
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Most folks know I love anything both Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts do, so I won't include them in my thoughts, but my list is broken up like the title of this thread. A lot of what I like depends on the star, and I find most of my favorite comedies is with Cary Grant, and Jimmy Stewart is a close second. I definitely don't like slapstick and never seek it out, but I have to admit that sometimes LaVergne and Shirley had me roaring with their slapstick antics back when they were on in primetime.

ROMANTIC COMEDY
Clark Gable

It Happened One Night
It Started in Naples
The Grass is Greener

FAMILY COMEDY
Cary Grant

Father Goose
Room for One More
Houseboat
Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House

Jimmy Stewart
Take Her She's Mine
Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation
Dear Brigitte

Arsenic and Old Lace

I love romantic comedy, I didn't list movies that I have mentioned previously like Holiday, and in most cases, depending on the actor, family comedy makes me laugh, unfortunately there is no replacement for Jimmy Stewart especially when he is frustrated as in all of this movies that I listed. Arsenic and Old Lace doesn't fit into either category, so I just left it hanging there. I will admit it's hard to make me laugh at anything on screen, mainly because I know it's all make believe, but sometimes as with romantic love stories, you can get caught up in the moment and feel the thrills and chills the actors are portraying. With comedy, you don't have that 'gotcha' feeling.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MissGoddess wrote:
stuart.uk wrote:It later became The Thrill Of It All
Move Over, Darling. :wink:
I'm going to check out Move Over, Darling one of these days ... sounds like a funny romantic comedy of its own!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'll see your list and raise you

I'll take four cards.

SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS
HANNAH AND HER SISTERS
MONKEY BUSINESS
HOLIDAY AFFAIR
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Unless I've missed it, we've overlooked one of the most slam-bang brilliant of all the husband and wife duals. Leo McCarey's adorable THE AWFUL TRUTH. And not a cell phone in it!