Andy Murray breaks 76-yr jinx

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Andy Murray breaks 76-yr jinx

Post by stuart.uk »

Well Andy Murray at the 5th atempt finally landed a grandslam. To me his achievement compares with Scotland winning the football World Cup, which is now increasingly unlikely Ironically Scotland, just 2 days before, had a disappointing 0-0 draw at home to Serbia in their opening World Cup qualifier. Yet in a National rematch Andy did the business against Serbia's greatest ever tennis player . I notice as well in his corner Andy had the 2 Knights Sean Connery and Manchester United's football Manager Alex Fergurson.

The BBC UK Sports Personality personality is going to be a bit special at Christmas time. Up until yesterday Mo Farrow was favorite with Jessica Ennis a close 2nd. However, Andy has had a great yr, finishing runner up at Wimbeldon, winning the Olympic gold in the mens singles, as well as picking up a silver with Laura Robson in the mixed. Now with winning the U.S Open, he must be in with a shot at winning the award. Now that I think of it, golfer Rory Mcllroy's not finished yet with the Ryder Cup approaching, but he's slipped a bit under the radar this season with all the UK successes this yr in sport.

Talking about slipping under the radar, I can't help but think that Laura Robson has made a massive move up the world rankings after winning her silver with Andy and reaching the 3rd round of the ladies singles, taking a couple of big scalps on the way. It's been suggested that with Andy winning he's gotten rid of Fred Perry being the last person to win a slam in 1936 tag (However, I bet they still use it regarding Wimbledon). It got me thinking that the British media might do the same thing with Laura and another top Brit player Heather Watson, who got to the 3rd round at Wimbledon, and put the burden of the last British woman to win a slam was Virginia Wade back in 1977 onto their young shoulders.
stuart.uk

Re: Andy Murray breaks 76-yr jinx

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi Kingrat

During the day yesterday, there was a big parade of floats in London, full of G.B athletes from both forms of Olympics. Then to cap it all Andy Murray wins the U.S Open tennis. It was the main story on our news programs. We even saw the locals of his local town Dunblane watch the match to its conclusion in a pub.

No-one knows when he'll come back, but his mum Judy is expected in Dunblane within the next week or two
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Congratulations in order for Andy Murray ... I was hoping he would win it did wonders for British Pride and his country. Thanks for sharing this Stuart.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

We're having a wonderful year sporting wise, I'm not known for watching sport but I've always followed tennis and the Olympics, I'm delighted that Murray has won and that all the TV channels have led on it all day. I listened to Jeremy Vine at lunchtime, is he British or Scottish? Is this a case of the English claiming him as British now he's won? I don't think so, I've always followed him, as have many people I know. I can honestly say I don't know who was Scottish out of the Olympic medalists or English, Irish or Welsh, it doesn't matter, they're British and they competed for Britain. I'm proud of Andy Murray today, I know he's very proud to be Scottish and I think that's a good thing. I hope his winning streak continues.

Wombledon next year Stuart? What do you think?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

What, Laura Robson win the ladies singles, beating Serena Williams in final. It's a nice thought, but maybe the Brit girl will need another 2 yrs to get to that level Lol

Yes, Andy must have a great chance of winning Wimbledon. Though he won Wimbeldon I don't think Roger Fedderer is the force he once was, but he's still a danger. I have often wondered if Nadal, like Tiger Woods in golf, puts to much strain on his legs and after his recent long lay off, again like Woods, will he struggle to get back to the top of his game. So Andy may find himself number 1 shortly. And though he's won his first slam Andy may still have to put up with Fred Perry still being the last brit to win Wimbeldon 76-yrs-ago, until if and when he wins the title

I didn't realize that Nothern Irish athletes have the option of competing either for team G.B or Ireland, which is the decision Rory Mcllroy has to make in 4-yrs time when golf becomes an Olympic sport. However, I hope Scotland doesn't get independance in that time, because I think Scot's athletes will suffer if they have to split from team G.B
charliechaplinfan

I hope they keep Team GB, do you know why they have given Irish athletes the choice? Some sports I don't think should be included in the Olympics, football, tennis and golf, they have their own tournaments all over the world, what I like about the Olympics is the chance to watch many of the little known sports like dressage, synchronised swimming, diving, eventing, fencing, judo, gymnastics etc.

I hope Murray does win Wimbledon, it would be great to watch him win on home turf. I've always liked Federer and Nadal, Nadal probably has the edge because he's so humble, I can't say the same about Federer but he's a great player to watch. Let's hope you'll be able to start a thread about Murray winning Wimbledon next year :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

I used to think that Nothern Irish was atomatically British, while the Republic of Ireland was seperate, which I still believe is normally the case. Yet in Rugby we have an all Ireland team, but in football they're 2 seperate teams.

I remember Chris Hoy saying how dependant he was an team G.B for his training as a gold medal cyclist, but might not get the same help as a purely Scottish athlete. However, he's retiring after the Commonwealth games in a Scottish vest. Say what about the recently retired cycling gold medalist Victoria Pendelton taking part in Strictly Come Dancing, our version of Dancing With The Stars.

I'm not sure Andy Murray would have won the U.S Open if he hadn't won the Olympics first. He gave him the self believe he could we a slam. Many say football shouldn't be part of the games, but I'm hoping the performances of the ladies team of G.B will give women's soccer in the UK a massive shot in the arm and help them to compete with the Americans, who are just about the best in the World
charliechaplinfan

I'm not a big oponent of certain sports being included in the Olympics, I just like the chance to watch different sports, we get enough football and golf. I've really enjoyed the Olympics, only partly because it's been here, it seems to have brought the country together, it's not felt like something that has been happening in London but it's been happening for all of us. we were lucky enough to be on the torch route and although it was early in the morning there were so many people lining the route, it was very touching and so memorable for the kids.

I agree with you, the Olympic triumph must have given him a shot in the arm and dispelled the feeling that he would never win a big one. We knew he had it in him.

It's great timing to have Victoria Pendleton on Strictly, I can't wait for it to begin.