Sport Spouses

Chit-chat, current events
Uncle Stevie

Sport Spouses

Post by Uncle Stevie »

One of my favorite players on my New York Yankees is Nick Swisher. He is a very good player and is the life of the Clubhouse. He is always smiling and joking around. I just discovered why he is always smiling. He is married to Movie and TV actress Joanna Garcia, a very pretty lady. Now, everytime I see him up at the plate I think of her. I first noticed her in "The Very Merry Daughter Of The Bride", a Hallmark movie. she has appeared in very many movies and TV series.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
knitwit45

Re: Sport Spouses

Post by knitwit45 »

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

As far as I know there aren't any famous Orioles' wives. In fact you could make an argument there aren't any famous Orioles' players. (It's nice to have a team on the upside of .500 for a change.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:As far as I know there aren't any famous Orioles' wives. In fact you could make an argument there aren't any famous Orioles' players. (It's nice to have a team on the upside of .500 for a change.)
No "famous Orioles' players?!" How can you say that about any team that once had Andy Etchebarren on their roster? Twice named an all-star, he is the only ball player I've ever known from the time of his first pro games (Elmira Pioneers) to his present position as manager of the York Revolutionaries in Pennsylvania. Even though he has been dogged by rumors that he may have been an unacknowledged offspring of Leonid Brezhnev (check out those caterpillars on his forehead), he has a reputation today for an "interesting managerial style," as you can see below. When I was a very little kid begging him to sign my catcher's mitt, Andy always had time for me. He is great.
[youtube][/youtube]

P.S. Haven't today's Orioles just gone into extra innings for something like their last fifteen games? Sounds as though they are trying pretty hard, Chris...though it would be nice if everyone could get home before midnight.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I meant current Orioles players. I bet most fans around the country could name more than a few players. Orioles history is full of famous players and great seasons. Etchebarren was a favorite player and he has a great name. I saw him a number of times at games when I was a kid. My best ball player name - Rocky Colavito.

The Orioles have won 15 extra inning games but blessedly they weren't in a row. The other night they did play 18 innings in Seattle only to follow it with an 11 inning game.

They are 21 games over 500. It's the first winning season in 14 years. Only the Pirates, I think, have a longer losing streak.
Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Jim Gentile, Ron Hansen, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Milt Pappas, Jack Fisher, Steve Barber, Mike Cuellar...lovely names from my youth.

Wasn't there a guy in underwear...Jim Palmer? :shock:
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Palmer still does the television broadcasts but the word is now he wears pants.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:Palmer still does the television broadcasts but the word is now he wears pants.
Ha! Too bad. I was only joshing with you about the "famous Orioles," Chris! It would be nice to see them make a comeback as a powerhouse team, especially if they could beat the Yankees. I am still waiting for the Mets to do so as well. *sigh*
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks