YOU Tube'n

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
ChiO

Re: YOU Tube'n

Post by ChiO »

From the Internet, so it has to be true:

Television: The Music Of Lennon & McCartney
9.40pm, Thursday 16 December 1965 (46 years ago)

The UK regional broadcaster Granada screened a special programme, The Music Of Lennon & McCartney, on this evening. It was shown across the rest of the United Kingdom the following day.

The 50-minute show been conceived by Granada producer Johnny Hamp, and was directed by Philip Casson. Filmed on 1 and 2 November, it was the biggest music spectacular produced to date by Granada Television, and was designed to showcase the songwriting talents of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

Appearing on the show were The Beatles, Cilla Black, Peter and Gordon, Lulu, Henry Mancini, Esther Phillips, Fritz Spiegl, Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, Alan Haven, Marianne Faithfull, the George Martin Orchestra, Dick Rivers, and Peter Sellers.

The show opened with an orchestral version of I Feel Fine, performed by the George Martin Orchestra.

Peter and Gordon sang A World Without Love, Lulu performed I Saw Him Standing There, and there was an instrumental version of A Hard Day's Night by jazz organist Alan Haven and drummer Tony Crombie.

Dick Rivers sang Things We Did Today in French, the George Martin Orchestra performed Ringo's Theme from the A Hard Day's Night soundtrack, and and Paul McCartney introduced American composer Henry Mancini, who performed If I Fell.

Esther Phillips had flown in from American especially to perform And I Love Him. Six members of the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra appeared as Fritz Spiegl's Barock And Roll Ensemble to perform She Loves You in the style of Mozart, before Peter Sellers performing a much-celebrated Shakespearean version of A Hard Day's Night.

Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas performed Bad To Me and Do You Want To Know A Secret, Cilla Black sang It's For You, and Spanish dance star Antonio Vargas performed She Loves You.

The Beatles themselves performed Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out. Paul McCartney also sang the first verse of Yesterday, before the song was completed by Marianne Faithfull.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

wow. wonder if there's a complete copy of that show? wow.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

For you, Knitty, anything.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

And a Sellers outtake
[youtube][/youtube]
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Holy camoly,Batman!!! I've been away all day, just now found this post. I was on my feet all day, dead tired, but this will be the first thing I watch tomorrow. Thank you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's a nice fall day and I just felt like posting this clip from The Hudsucker Proxy because.... it seems right. My favorite sequence in any Coen Bros. movie.

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

[youtube][/youtube]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Beatles and WKRP - Fond Memories of Yesteryears ...
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Missgoddess,I've just seen JIGSAW for the first time and am afraid I only spotted Burgess Meredith.
Maybe I wasn't concentrating, but the relationship of Franchot Tone and Doe Avedon(Betty Harper) confused me. At first I thought they were brother and sister!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

This time of year means many things, but near the top is
Mischa and Gelsey performing the Grand Pas de Deux
from The Nutcracker.
[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

sigh

I haven't seen that in years, ChiO. I was mad about Mischa back then, I must have watched them dance this twenty times, back in the day.

Maybe not Christmas oriented, but I think some of the fellas here at the O will feel like it's Christmas watching the girl in the yellow dress from Susan Stroman's CONTACT:

[youtube][/youtube]
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

How cute is this, an iPod/Walkman...from the 1920s!

[youtube][/youtube]
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ms.G your avatar of Richard Boone is wonderful. I don't recognize the movie or the lady, details???
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi, Nancy! That's Vera Miles with Boone, and the picture is from a TV pilot they made together called Kona Coast. It was competing with another pilot called Hawaii Five-O in 1968...and you know which series got picked up. :D
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I "met" Mr. Boone at the LA airport in 1970, he was waiting for someone, and we were standing in line for our baggage. Sweet, gracious, and very VERY tall. Ms. Miles never looked better!!!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I "met" Mr. Boone at the LA airport in 1970, he was waiting for someone, and we were standing in line for our baggage. Sweet, gracious, and very VERY tall.

Really? :shock: :shock: Marvelous! I'm afraid had that been me there would have been an international "incident" in baggage handling! :D
-- Will Rogers