Operation Bikini

Discussion of programming on TCM.
benwhowell

Operation Bikini

Post by benwhowell »

Saturday is my day to clean house and (try to) focus on other "home" projects. TCM is usually turned on at one point. I turned it on this past saturday as Ben was introducing "Operation Bikini." Decided to take a look...Wow! It was the "campiest" USMC World War II drama(?!) I've ever seen! It was part "beefcake/stag" (with Tab Hunter, Franke Avalon, Scott Brady, Jody McCrae, et al) part high school theatrical production (with wooden "tough guy" performances) and part low budget TV show (with all those obvious soundstage/backlot sets and stock footage.)
And what was with that dream sequence "color" insert with Avalon singing about his dilemma in staying true the girl back home while being tempted by the hot "Island" girl...and this was repeated a second time!
The dialogue was a hoot too. And what was Jim Backus doing in this? He must have really needed the work.
Actually, this movie became an immediate "guilty pleasure" for me.
I'm so glad TCM is showing all these gems from the ultimate "grindhouse-" AIP...
Handsome Johnny Eck
Moraldo Rubini

Make it stop

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Oy, that Munch avatar is causing me to go blind! Now I know why it's called "The Scream".

I can't believe you managed to make Operation Bikini sound intriguing...
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moraldo,

When I see Ben's avatar it makes me feel like we are all in the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I don't know about the rest of you, but in my case, I don't just see Ben's avatar while I'm reading his post, I see it for several minutes after I've gone on to other posts and threads.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
inglis

Post by inglis »

mrsl wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but in my case, I don't just see Ben's avatar while I'm reading his post, I see it for several minutes after I've gone on to other posts and threads. That's funny Anne my eyes are still adjusting ha ha,Inglis

Anne
benwhowell

My powers have been restored!

Post by benwhowell »

Well, I see my evil plan is working- to hypnotize all who frequent SSO. :twisted:
Now, repeat after me-
MUST SEE "OPERATION BIKINI!"
Handsome Johnny Eck