Annie Get Your Gun & other Western Musicals

Ayres

Post by Ayres »

Girl Crazy is kinda western.
Moraldo Rubini

Yehaw!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Ayres wrote:Girl Crazy is kinda western.
Hey Cowgirl! I already mentioned Girl Crazy!
Moraldo wrote:Girl Crazy is somewhat of a parody of the western; eastern sophistication versus the rough and tumble west.
We need to russle up some new ones...
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

Oops. Guess you'll have to treat me rough, then.

Off to Hollywood tomorrow, kids! Will report upon return.
Moraldo Rubini

Girl Crazy!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Now you have me singing!

"Treat me rough!
Muss my hair!
Don't you dare to handle,
me with care!
I'm no innocent child, baby!
Keep on treating me wild!
"

You're going to Hollywood! Can't you give us a hint of what you're planning to see? How exciting! Yippee!
melwalton

Western musicals

Post by melwalton »

'Rhythm on the Range' Paramount 1936 with Bing Crosby had a good score including Johnny Mercer's 'I'm an Old Cowhand'
'Cowboy from Brooklyn' WB 1938 with Dick Powell.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Mel,
Welcome to the boards. It's always good to see someone with a keen interest in musicals. I'm fond of Rhythm on the Range as well, though this is off point, and not a Western, I also like Crosby's warbling in Sing You Sinners (1938) and love the eccentric musical We're Not Dressing (1934), which I guess most people don't care for.

The best singing of Crosby's life on film, for me, is High Society(1956), especially "I Love You, Samantha" with Louis Armstrong, along with "True Love", "Well, Did You Evah", and "Now You Has Jazz".

I hope that you'll enjoy our site. We're glad to have you here.
Moira
Last edited by moira finnie on October 4th, 2007, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melwalton

Crosby

Post by melwalton »

Hi Moira
Thanks for your very nice welcome.
I thought 'We're not Dressing' was very good altho' I liked 'She Loves Me Not' and 'Mississippi' a little better. I didn't see 'High Society'. I liked 'Sing You Sinners' with 'Pocketful of Dreams' and 'Small Fry'
Yes, I'm a nut for swing music,
Great forum, thanks again.
melwalton

Crosby

Post by melwalton »

Hi John, Like you I haven't seen it in ages ( wish they'd show musicals from the 30s) but I do recall the songs. very good score; 'Once in a Blue Moon', 'Good Night, Lovely Little Lady', 'May I?', She Reminds Me of You', 'It's the animal in Me' and the one that was so very popular, at the time, ' Love Thy Neighbor'
Be great to see it again.
Personal opinion; Paramount had the best songs WB second,
EleanorPowellFan

Western Musicals

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

I'd have to say that in the 50's musicals became more theatrical they real broadway musicals style which is what many western musicals were like. I personall prefer musicals from the 30's and 40's.
melwalton

musicals

Post by melwalton »

Hi. Eleanor.
Good to see a new member who likes musicals, especially someone I agree with, wholeheartedly. The 30s had the songs, so many great ones and the singers, Crosby, Powell, Faye, Langford, Waters etc, etc.
Welcome. .... mel
EleanorPowellFan

Hey Mel

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

Hey mel thanks for the welcome, I think Frances Langford was a great singer, I think she was the only singer who could really portray what Broadway was all about in it's true sense.

She was pretty and very charming, just recently I found a site called Old Time Radio that has uploaded radio shows of her and Don Ameche in The Bickersons. The script writing is just excellent and her acting is the best, I really wished Frances was included in more films.