Juanita Quigley

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Fossy

Juanita Quigley

Post by Fossy »

Juanita Quigley

Born 1931 Juanita made her film debut at age 3 years. She appeared in thirty five movies and starred in one, as Cinderella in the short movie Cinderella`s Fella (1940). I first noticed Juanita in the Deanna Durbin movie That Certain Age (1938). I was so impressed that I checked with IMDB and was shocked to find her listed as “The Pest”. What a name to give to a little girl. When she retired from movies she became a Nun. After a time she left the convent, married and had two children, Erik and Marta. Juanita was widowed in 2012.

Since I started collecting movies, I have thanked about twenty former movie actresses for the pleasure they have given me via their movies. Two have actually responded. One of these is Juanita Quigley. That makes her very special.

Of her movies that I have, I could not find her in The Blue Bird (1940), and Luxury Liner (1948).

In the movie Have A Heart(1934) Juanita is listed as “Rosie at the Dance School (uncredited)”, however when she was dancing she was having trouble keeping her knickers up, so she was not holding her partner and dance teacher Sally (Jean Parker) showed her how to hold her partner, addressed her as Juanita. When Juanita lost her knickers she kicked them aside and kept dancing. The dog grabbed her knickers and raced off with Juanita in pursuit.

In The movie Imitation Of Life (1934) Juanita appears briefly as Jessie, three year old daughter of Bea (Claudette Colbert)

In Riffraff (1935), plays a full part as the daughter of Lil (Una Merkel) and does a great job.

The Devil Doll (1936), another small part. A spoiled brat, she takes a fancy to a doll and demands that her father buy it for her. She takes the doll to bed, and during the night the doll comes to life and attacks her father, sending him insane.

Now her star seems to be rising, with full supporting roles in
Born To Dance (1936)
Woman Against Woman (1938)
Having Wonderful Time (1938)
That Certain Age (1938)
The Vanishing Virginian (1942)
A Yank At Eton (1942)
National Velvet (1944)

After National Velvet (1944) there was a gap of four years before Luxury Liner (1948) ( I still have not found her) and then a two year gap before Mystery street (1950) as daughter (uncredited)”. She appeared for about five seconds and had about seven words to say (or was it seven seconds and five words), and if one blinked, one would miss her.

IMDB lists her final film as Porky`s II—The Next Day (1983), but some sources cast doubt on this.

I have only commented on the films I have.
mongoII

Re: Juanita Quigley

Post by mongoII »

I recall that Juanita was a real cutie pie in "Imitation of Life", among other films.
It's nice to know that she is still with us.

Joseph Goodheart
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

THE DEVIL DOLL? Have I seen that? Surely, I have. I'm quite sure I'd like it!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Oh, of course. Lionel Barrymore and shrinkage! I didn't recognize it from this description.