The May 2013 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

The May 2013 TCM Schedule

Post by JackFavell »

Did anyone watch Mary Astor and Ricardo Cortez in I AM A THIEF? Oh my goodness, I LOVED this movie!

First of all, Ricardo Cortez and Mary Astor were just great together.. so flirty and sexy. And then there's the crisp and exhilarating direction by Robert Florey, who manages to make this little mystery come alive even when the story is restricted most of the time to a moving train. Florey really gives this little programmer a lot of go! This is why I love classic films! It's got that pseudo-European thing going on - travel from Paris to Trieste on the Orient Express, high class jewel thieves, and a lot of twists in the plot. The supporting cast includes Hobart Cavanaugh, stalwarts Robert Barrat and Irving Pichel, Ferdinand Gottschalk (he's so adorable), and Dudley Digges. My love for Ricardo Cortez goes on, unabated. :D
sandykaypax

Re: The May 2013 TCM Schedule

Post by sandykaypax »

I just caught a bit of it this morning, and now I wished that I recorded it! I love Mary Astor! She could play complicated like nobody's business.

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sandy! I loved how the movie kept you guessing about BOTH of them. Complicated is right!

I'm running low on dvd's and I didn't look at the cast list. I thought I should have recorded today's lineup but of course I didn't.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I swear Pichel and Barrat were in every movie made in the 30's.

Barrat averaged 20 films a year up until about 1936, whereupon he slowed down to about 10 a year, according to IMDB!

Irving Pichel is quite an interesting man. He started out as an actor, showing up in movies as diverse as CLEOPATRA, I AM A THIEF, DRACULA'S DAUGHTER and THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE. He was the voice of Huw as a man, in HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, and narrated SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON. He moved into directing early on, with THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME followed up by SHE and went on to direct about 40 movies, a few of which are favorites of mine, though they aren't really remembered much. THEY WON''T BELIEVE ME, MR. PEABODY AND THE MERMAID and AND NOW TOMORROW are some of the more well known titles. His second to last movie, DESTINATION MOON was just discussed over at the Movie Morlocks page, and he himself narrates the Woody Woodpecker cartoon in the middle of the movie.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I swear Pichel and Barrat were in every movie made in the 30's.

Barrat averaged 20 films a year up until about 1936, whereupon he slowed down to about 10 a year, according to IMDB!

Irving Pichel is quite an interesting man. He started out as an actor, showing up in movies as diverse as CLEOPATRA, I AM A THIEF, DRACULA'S DAUGHTER and THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE. He was the voice of Huw as a man, in HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, and narrated SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON. He moved into directing early on, with THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME followed up by SHE and went on to direct about 40 movies, a few of which are favorites of mine, though they aren't really remembered much. THEY WON''T BELIEVE ME, MR. PEABODY AND THE MERMAID and AND NOW TOMORROW are some of the more well known titles. His second to last movie, DESTINATION MOON was just discussed over at the Movie Morlocks page, and he himself narrates the Woody Woodpecker cartoon in the middle of the movie.
I wish I'd seen the Mary Astor-Ricardo Cortez movie. It sounds like fun.

Irving Pichel also gave the movie world one of its brightest, if short-lived figures: Natalie Wood, whom he discovered as a four year old extra who dropped her ice cream cone on the sidewalk at the beginning of the movie, Happy Land (1943), filmed in Santa Rosa, CA. She was named Natasha Gurdin then and her mother's ambition and Pichel's kindness to her brought the entire family to LA where she was given the less foreign-sounding name of Natalie and took the last name of Pichel's friend, Sam Wood. Pichel and Wood went on to make three more movies together as director and actress, The Moon Is Down (1943), Tomorrow Is Forever (1946), and The Bride Wore Boots (1946).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

My favorite Pichel-directed movie is QUICKSAND (1950) or, as its alternate title should have been, ANDY HARDY DOES A BAD THING AND IT ONLY GETS WORSE.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

While, I'm watching MACAO starring Mitchum and Russell ... I wanted to tell you all that there is one movie that I wanted to see for EONS is on Friday Night at 5 PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME ...

ALICE IN WONDERLAND ... a 1933 Film. Why?

My parents and grandparents both saw this movie and they were overjoyed the magic wonderment of this charming movie back in 1933 and they were entertained by it. They were flabbergasted of how good it was. Anyway, I wanted to share that with all of you here. I saw clips of it while watching movies on TCM and I was intrigued by it.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

ChiO, that alternate title made me giggle out loud.

You can see Quicksand here in a clean version that looks like it's got a minute or so of commercial interruptions:

[youtube][/youtube]

there is a more scraggly but commercial free version here:

[youtube][/youtube]

Moira, Thanks for that info on Pichel and Natalie Wood. I really like Tomorrow is Forever as well and now I've got two new Natalie/Pichel movies to look out for.

kingrat, I think I've seen Lightning Strikes Twice, maybe during that string of Ruth Roman movies that played a little while ago? I remember liking it, especially Roman, but mostly I remember Mercedes McCambridge because it's another role where she gets to boil up and spill over. I would love to get a copy of An American Romance, it's got a cast that looks really interesting. I wonder if I should use up one of my last few precious discs on it? Anyone seen it before?

Rita, I saw the trailer for Alice in Wonderland and I have to say, the trailer itself is pretty amazing. I don't remember the song from the trailer being in the movie, though it's been years since I saw it. I remember liking for it's extreme weirdness and all the guest stars, plus as you probably all know by now, I like episodic tales even when they aren't altogether successful.
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

The trailer for "Alice in Wonderland" caught my attention, too. I snipped it from the day's recordings and played it over a few times just to hear the song. The voice couldn't belong to Chester Morris, could it? Naw. But... Could it?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I was trying to figure it out myself, Ingenue, the voice sounded soooo familiar! I'll have to listen again. You have a great ear!
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

There's a lovely thing going to be on TCM this Friday: at 11:00am EST, it's "The Captain is a Lady". And such a cast it has!:

Leading-man Charles Coburn gets varying attentions from Cecil Cunningham, Helen Westley, Beulah Bondi,
Billie Burke, Marjorie Main and Helen Broderick. And yes, these are the stars of "The Captain is a Lady"!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the heads up about The Captain is a Lady and Alice in Wonderland coming up. Those casts are incredible.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

I'd meant to post more about "The Captain..." but hit Submit, by chance, instead of Preview, and thought, "Do we really need any more incentive?"