THE TCM 2013 CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL: TOTAL IMMERSION...

CineMaven

THE TCM 2013 CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL: TOTAL IMMERSION...

Post by CineMaven »

The Fourth TCM Classic Film Festival ( 2013 ) was so much fun. I didn’t see as many movies as I have seen my past two years, because this time, I was taken under the wing by a group of film buffs that made being a part of their shenanigans just that much more fun and interesting.

Under their wing - Classic film fans from all parts
of the world.

I did see most everything I wanted to see, and...I made a new discovery thanks to the help of new friends.

Here are my digs:

Image Image

...And I was snug as a bug in a rug ( with a bed four times as large as my sleeper compartment when I took Amtrak back. )

The night before the festival I was to meet my new friend ( that I met here in NY ) and her friends at The Formosa. At the Roosevelt's valet area all the beautiful people were wrangling for their cars. I was surrounded by short spandex skirts and high high stiletto high heels. ( Stilts! ) I didn't want to fight through that ( and besides, no bellman would probably pay l'il ol' me any attention with all those 20-year old legs & thighs flying around ) so I went back to the desk and asked the Hotel to call a cab for me. "What's the address to the Formosa?" I ask. "Just tell the cabbie, The Formosa. He'll know." Wouldn't you know it when I hop in the cab and tell the driver where I want to go as we leave the parking area, the cabbie says "The Formosa? I have to call a friend."

:shock:

When we get to Santa Monica Blvd., he pulled up in front of some club looking at his GPS or something. I told him I was stepping out to ask directions; I wasn't trying to beat the fare. ( Stepping out a cab in NY w/o paying your fare is a capital offense! ) When I asked the doorman at this club where the Formosa was, he pointed diagonally across the street. "D'0H!!!" And now the cabdriver knows where the Formosa is.

I met up with my new friend, her old friends, and drinking ensued at the Formosa!

I bought the SPOTLIGHT pass, which garnered me this bag of goodies within the nice big primary colors bag we got:

A lapel pin, Marx Bros. DVD, Alfred Newman Movie Soundtracks, "Hollywood Rides
A Bike" book, and various magazines, and a festival poster.

If I have any complaints about the festival, ( and I’ll get ‘em outta the way now ) here are two things that irked me:

( * ) I did not like the bifurcated logo for the TCM Film Festival, that represented nothing of classic film for me.

Image Image

Was TCM being a bit whimsical? I guess. I understand them joining genres together: ( Samurai / dance; western / motorcycle flicks; crime / romance; hot air balloon / parachute ) If only they had used some iconic images in those representations.

There'll be differing opinions on that score I'm sure. Speaking only for myself, I’d have been happier if they used the images of iconic film stars. I think we have enough glamour girls and western stars and dancers that are easily recognizable and representative of different genres.

( * ) I understand those holding the Essential, Classic, Matinee & Palace passes ALL stood in ONE LINE. That makes no sense to me and seems a bit unfair. Someone who buys a Matinee Pass ( $349 ) decides to get on line a half an hour earlier than someone who bought a Classic Pass ( $549 ) thus allowed to go into the theatre first? Huh?!! Why spend that extra $200 if you’re not going to get priority entry. I’m not talking about what events you’re allowed to enter. I’m talking about the priority you’re given when you can enter.

...And if TCM says they can’t have four or five lines clogging up the entrance to the theatre, then I say don’t have four or five level of passes.

As for bobbing and weaving my way down Hollywood Boulevard between The Egyptian & Grauman’s Chinese Theatres, it got so that I was able to recognize the same indigent people on the street during my four days in Hollywood. Everybody’s gotta live, but woweeee. I guess that’s Hollywood! Is there a Chamber of Commerce in the house? :roll:

THURSDAY - APRIL 25th 2013

Thursday morning was a breakfast get together to welcome TCM-City's Butterscotchgreer into the Festival fold. It was nice meeting her for the first time...putting a face and bubbly personality to a name from the TCM Message Board. I was a bit distracted at breakfast ‘cuz a lot was going to happen that day, but it was very pleasant getting together with her and the other denizens of TCM-City. Butterscotchgreer treated herself to her first trip traveling alone. She couldn’t know it then, but she wouldn’t be alone for long.

My group o’ gals wanted to go to Club TCM to participate in the “S0 YOU THINK YOU KNOW THE MOVIES” trivia contest. They’ve asked me to be on their team. Sure, I’m game. They kept telling me that there was this other group of folks who kept telling them “You’re going down!” What? Threaten us? Harumph!!! We’ll see about that. We’re all pretty movie savvy so I had no fear or worries. This would be a piece of cake.

After the first question, I was scared out of my wits. Crikey,these questions were tough!!! I didn’t expect: “Name the actress who played opposite Bogart in “Casablanca.” But I also didn’t expect: ”Name the actor who played John Foster Kane’s son in ‘Citizen Kane.’" They’re joking, aren't they They weren’t. My heart sunk with each question. But hell, our goal was just to beat Team Emberly, not feed the damn fish! Ugh!!

After we lost the trivia contest ( TCM-City's Filmlover and his group were the champs! Congratulations!) I raced over to wait on line to get a bleacher seat for the RED CARPET event. I walked the red carpet my first year. Walked...HA! I was rushed along by a TCM wrangler. As the carpet became a blur with them rushing all of us along, I could see the people in the bleachers had a ringside seat of everything. Right then and there I vowed...next year. Well for the past two years I’ve sat in the bleachers AND LOVED IT! In fact, I was on line with the same ladies I was on line with last year. It really felt like Olde Home Week. ( Hey Mary, Patty, Lu & Pat!! ) You wait on line, you’re given a number and you enter the velvet rope area in an orderly manner. ( Woe unto you if you have to use the restroom BEFORE the numbers are given. Those linespeople are strict! In fact, I tricked one of them to get a number for one of my new fast friends on line whose sister went to the ladies room. Shhhhh! )

There’s the press on the one side of the carpet, Tom Brown ( dashing in his tux ) on the carpet, and us bleacher babes on the other side of the red carpet. It’s so much fun to scream and shout and applaud the stars strolling down the carpet. We fight to get their attention away from the press. It was great seeing the passholders in all their Sunday finery walking down the red carpet too. We give ‘em much love as well. This year I saw JANE WITHERS, TIPPI HEDREN, BARBARA RUSH, MAX VON SYDOW, JACQUELINE WHITE, COLEEN GRAY, ANN BLYTH etc. on the red carpet. I screamed the loudest for Ann Blyth. She is my raison d’etre for coming to California.

SPOILERS

I couldn’t stay to the bitter end of the Red Carpet review b’cuz I had to get to the theatre to see my evening’s movies.

“THE KILLING.”

I rushed from the Red Carpet to see the Coleen Gray intro. She seems frail, but has presence of mind to relay working on set and with Kubrick ( though she wished he had a more hands on approach with her. ) Coleen! Coleen! I’m looking at a woman who looked into the eyes of and held in the big strong arms of John Wayne, Victor Mature & Tyrone Power. (( Sigh! )) Some girls have all the luck. You can see King Rat’s more detailed account here. I also thank you Brother Rat, for coming to my rescue with my Soaking Wet Buttered Popcorn Malfunction! Yuck!

And then there is MARIE WINDSOR.

Marie Windsor as Sherry. She'd rather be a widow quicker
than Tammy Wynette can spell D-I-V-O-R-C-E.

I know “The Killing” is oftimes compared to its counterpart “THE ASPHALT JUNGLE” but “The Killing” is different from “The Asphalt Jungle.” “Asphalt...” focuses on the cast of characters and their backstory; “The Killing” is kind of cold and dispassionate. The plot is about the precision of the heist. Crazy Timothy Carey does his Kirk Douglas teeth impression. I think the man is certifiably insane. ( Not that anything's wrong with that! :P ) But they let him out of the booby hatch to make movies. He’s off-kilter and his scenes with James Edwards were tense! It was as taut as pulling a rubber band you have on your wrist as tight as possible. James Edwards starts out with the upper hand over Carey, as an authority figure in uniform. But when Edwards starts being overly grateful for Carey talking to him as an equal, it was too much for Crazy Guggenheim. His final shocking response to Edwards does the trick to push the security guard away once and for all. After all, Carey has a racehorse he has to kill.

I loved the boxer ( Kola Kwariani ) who causes a distraction at the bar. He seemed a European type gentleman, with the strength of ten men. ( He reminds me of Stanislus Zbyszko in “Night & the City.” ) And hey look here...it was so nice to see Joe Sawyer tenderly interact with his invalid wife, a 180 degree contrast opposite the antithesis of marriage: Marie Windsor / Elisha Cook, Jr. - George & Sherry. By jiminy they were absolutely in a Marriage made in Hell. Wait a minute. Hell might’ve been too good for ‘em. When Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck are bad, I love ‘em. But I think I have room in my heart for Marie. Ahhhhh Marie, Marie. Her Sherry is ALL about the money. And George ( Cook, Jr. ) is all about Sherry. I thought I was looking at the drama between a snake vs. a mongoose in their scenes together. I fell into the rhythm and pattern of their language and way of communicating. Their slow quiet way of speaking w/nary a breath taken between sentences...between words...between each other. Heaven to watch! It was a match made in psychosexual symbiotic hell.

“The Killing” in Kubrick’s steady and sure hand was like watching a Swiss master watchmaker thread the intricate plot around the minutest of cogs. What a tasty time piece Kubrick baked. And when this souffle all falls apart ( sort of like my butter soaked bag of popcorn!!! :-( ) as it does...as it must...in the only silly and foolish way fate deals its blow, Sterling Hayden’s reaction is perfect. Stunned, this automaton can only be just pulled away by his girlfriend ( Coleen Gray ) from the scene of the crime. Just walk away. I’m telling you, it’s perfect. But you know this already.

The last ten seconds of the film is beyond perfect. Ahhh! The good ol' days. When movies knew how to end.

My movie companion paid homage to her Scandinavian roots with “NINOTCHKA” and was scheduled to see “SUMMERTIME” but I persuaded her to see:

“SAFE IN HELL.”

SHE: “What’s it about?”
ME: “I’m going to let it unfold for you. It’s a pre-code.” ( Haha! So...they call me Concentration Camp Groucho? Ey? Say the Secret Word: pre-code and... )

Film historian DONALD BOGLE interviewed William Wellman’s son and Wellman, Jr. is quite a wealth of information on his father. When “Mild Bill” Wellman & Mr. Bogle start rattling off his Dad’s movies, I’m astounded at the myriad of genres Wellman had command of. I wanted more of Donald Bogle at this festival. And of Wellman as well ( father & son. )

There is a packed audience in Chinese Multiplex Theatre 6 for “Safe In Hell” and I just know in my bones that my movie companion will NOT be disappointed.

“Safe In Hell” is almost a sort of a kind of a sick, twisted “Snow White and the Seven Dwarves” tale, with Dorothy Mackaill saddled with this motley crue of felonous scum. She is somehow able to control them. ( After all, they don’t bum rush her in her room, do they. ) Mackaill’s a hard brassy blonde, with some softness to her, but not much, really. A woman’s lot in pre-code is never an easy one. Fate throws the deck at Mackaill and Mackaill throws it right back at Fate and the crowd loved the film, you can tell. She’s my hero. She won’t compromise. And there’s a price to pay for that. In her high heels, walking down a dirt road, she meets Fate.

And I survive Day One of the Film Festival. :o
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Re: THE TCM 2013 CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL: TOTAL IMMERSION...

Post by JackFavell »

Oh man, Maven, you've got me all atwitter, hearing about your first day. I can't wait for Day number 2. I like how you mix the personal in with your reviews. It's really fun to read what you have to say about the festival, like I was almost there myself. Your reactions, the crowd reactions, and even the movie stars reactions, well, I like the little personal touches you give in your write-ups - odd occurrences, how your friends met up with you... all of it makes a much bigger picture of what was happening there.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Great rundown of the good (The Killing, Safe in Hell) the bad (but entertaining, like Timothy Carey), and the ugly (what's with all the line/pass confusion??), CineMaven.

BTW, did you actually say that Bill Wellman, Jr. appeared at the festival and a certain Lzcutter was not there?

Hey, did anyone talk about Dorothy McKaill's very, very long retirement to Hawaii?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Fabuous! Brava! More!

So glad to hear about what all I missed! Good points about the passes and the logos...

There was one of the logos that, at first glance, looked like a bisexual cowboy/ harlot/flapper or something. I was confused.

I just don't think a classic film festival logo should confuse the average passholder. It should have some sort of classic film image with some sort of classic film star or iconic film palace. (The image is on the cover of the pocket guide in your earlier photo.)

But the images didn't particularly bother me like they did so many other folks I heard complaining about them. They just didn't inspire me or touch me like the images from the first three years.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm not quite understanding what you wrote about Nina Mae McKinney, kingrat. Nina Mae was in Safe in Hell, but Lena Horne was years away at this point from her first picture. I am confused. Maybe I am just not reading you right?

Nina Mae and Noble Johnson are part of the reason I love Safe in Hell. It's just wonderful to see a picture with actual African Americans, not dumbed down or forced into particularly unflattering stereotypes.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Intrepid reporter Sue x 2 Applegate (( :) )) has noted in her TCMFF 2013 thread, that I won a prize at this year's festival. And yup, I did. This is how that came about:

While waiting at the Egyptian for the start of films screened there, VERIZON had their kiosk set up for free Wi-fi and giving out prizes for their Trivia Contest. They’d read a question aloud, passholders are to raise their hands, and when they’re called on, if they have the right answer...they win a prize. Simple.

I had watched folks play the game during several forays of my waiting at the Egyptian courtyard, not feeling the need to play along. Gabbing with line-mates was fine and fun.

So this day I was there to see the 9:30am screening of “GILDA”:

I was half-paying attention to the game. But in VERIZON GUY'S question, I heard my name:

“What was the name of the movie that starred Teresa Wright and Gary Cooper?”

I quickly raised my hand.

He called on me.

I made a corny showing of my knowledge by saying:

“PRIDE OF THE YANKEES”

...and started walking toward Verizon Guy to get my prize.

He said I was wrong.

WHA’??? Wrong?

I wasn’t all the way up to him, but the crowd saw me stepping out into the courtyard, CocksureMaven that I am.

Wrong? :oops:

He asked someone else and there were cries from the crowd of:

“PRIDE OF THE YANKEES.”

Verizon Guy said that wasn’t the answer in the book. The book said:

“CASANOVA BROWN.”

Well yeah, that’s right TOO. But “Pride of the Yankees” was done by Cooper and Wright and he didn't say "first" or "second" movie.

So the game continued with other winners for other questions. I knew I was right...and the crowd knew they were right. But it's all good. Heck, I'm already at the film festival, what more do I need.

One of my movie pals walked over to me from her passholder line on the other side of the courtyard, and told me she was going to IMDB the info and show the guy. I didn’t want to push it. I knew I was right and that’s all I needed. I told her not to, that it was okay. But she went off into the courtyard anyway, and showed Verizon Guy her IMDB info.

He then makes an announcement before the crowd that he looked at the young lady’s IMDB info, and that it, indeed, lists “Pride of the Yankees” as a movie made by Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright.

He called me up to get my prize. And here we are...me & my TCM blankie.
[u][color=#4000BF]Sue Sue Applegate[/color][/u] wrote:Image
Ooh. And I just found this lovely image. Somebody won a prize!
Would that somebody like to tell us all about it?
Thank you Christy for asking me to share this. And thanxx to Lara G. for going to "bat" for me.

...Just like Lou Gehrig would've done.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's great, CineMava Brown! I LOVE that blankie. very stylish, as usual for TCM items. You make me jealous - not only do you have TCM blankie, you are quite photogenic.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Justice shall be done! :-)
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi there. Thanxx for the compliments folks. :-) ( Brother Rat, some of my friends may say my opinions are Number Two, but I say "ACK!" to them. )

FRIDAY - APRIL 26th 2013

Shall I broaden my horizons ( “I KNOW WHERE I’M GOING” ) or go with the comfort food of familiarity ( “LIBELED LADY.” ) I went with what I know and with what I wanted to experience with a crowd of my peoples:

“LIBELED LADY”

You can't go wrong with a four-star cast!

This was my sparkling martini movie; an M-G-M, 8 x 10 glossy of a movie. Four bonafide stars shining in their own way. Of course, Harlow shines brightest in a showy role. She sinks her shimmery satin persona into you and doesn’t let go from the moment she bursts into the newspaper room, loaded for bear. And the bear is Spencer Tracy.

Myrna Loy is beautiful with several stunning costumes. But she’s mostly the “straight man” in all this. The big takeaway I took away from “Libeled Lady” is the teamwork between Tracy and William Powell. Why had I not notice that before? ( There are none so blind as those who... :roll: ) They are both so natural, speaking their lines as though they emanated from their own thoughts. They fluidly worked off each other...Powell having the slightly upper hand. Their comic timing is impeccable. In fact, I like Tracy and Powell better than Tracy and Gable, and that’s sayin’ sumthin’. The house was packed for this jewel of a movie, and I heard a whole lot of laughs. The story is so perfectly constructed ( though Powell and his fishing sequence went on just a tad too long for me ) and I loved everybody's bits of business with everybody else. Oh yeah, I made the right decision.

“THE NARROW MARGIN”

I made a mad dash to the Egyptian for the noon screening of “The Narrow Margin.” Eddie Muller had the honor of interviewing Jacqueline White before the film. I blew it! I had the opportunity to talk to Ms. White when I had my breakfast get-together with Sue Sue, Lzcutter, ButterscotchGreer and Countessdelave. But again, faint heart does not fair maiden win. Christy could tell us a little about going over to the Snyder Twins’ table and meeting Jacqueline White.

During the Muller interview it came out that Jacqueline White also appeared in “Crossfire.” What?!! I totally don’t remember her in that film, the white light of Glo-lo blinding me. But funny, last Tuesday during the TCM’s Tough Guys umbrella, “Crossfire” played and there she is. She’s the wife of the young soldier trying to get Gloria Grahame to do the right thing.

Jacqueline White had a quiet beauty in both “The Narrow Margin” and “Crossfire” and on the Egyptian stage this afternoon. If I had to categorize her, I’d say, before there was Eva Marie Saint, there was Jacqueline White. I confess I must go through her filmography to see what other films she appeared in that I was too blind to see. Here she is at her interview:

I found her to be quietly elegant and very present in speaking about her experience making the movie. She told a cute story of her husband mockingly feigning illness while she went off to make movies. She quit soon thereafter to raise her children...and husband. ( Ha! ) “The Narrow Margin” was her last film.

And what a good film it is. My takeaway from the entire festival has to be MARIE WINDSOR. She was the IT Girl for me: a brunette viper with bedroom eyes and a tongue as sharp as a laser beam. The better to cut you down to size, my dear; unless you're a hunk like Charles McGraw or Vince Edwards. She could be hurt by brutes bigger and swarthier than she. Oh wait, she could be threatened by big blonde brutes too a la Sterling Hayden. In general, just give Marie the dialogue and step out of her way, thankyew. ( I've got to do some research on her. ) The story was sharp, taut and suspenseful; near-misses, mistaken identity and a bratty kid, good character actors throughout. Wrapping the story around the confines of a train was great too! Tightly directed, no fat. No where to run, very little place to hide. Sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.

BTW, I liked Christy’s sweet, succinct, pre-festival review of “The Narrow Margin.” Check it out here.

“NOTORIOUS”

TCM had actress Rose McGowan here at the Egyptian to introduce this Hitchcock classic she really admires. My whole little movie group was here for this one. One reason is Cary Grant; the other...Ingrid Bergman. Up there on the big screen, you can’t hide a poor script or bad acting. This Hitchcock thriller does NOT disappoint. You can really see the plot unfold. The movie might feature Nazis and uranium, but it’s all about love and the fear of trusting. Grant is dashing and withholding. Bergman, looks radiantly beautiful. You can see all her little natural touches. ( I wait through the whole movie just to hear Bergman say this line: “What a little pal you are Dev. Right below the belt everytime." ) The audience had a nice laugh when Mrs. Sebastian lights her cigarette at the news that her daughter-in-law is an American spy. ( Mother Knows Best! ) And even though the crowd knew what was coming, they gasped appropriately, as the uranium-filled wine bottle crashes to the floor. Even when you know Hitchcock, you're still getting a thrill. Pure and simple, “Notorious” is just a good solid movie. And there were never two more beautiful leads than Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. They make my heart ache.

HOLLYWOOD HOME MOVIES

Trekking back to Club TCM for this bit of interesting fluff, ”Hollywood Home Movies” played to a packed room, where the home movies show us stars at play. Doug Jr., Dietrich and Desi Arnaz are among the stars in home movies presented by Faye MacKenzie, Bob Koster ( director Henry Koster’s son ) and the irrepressibly saucy Mitzi Gaynor.

I didn’t see the “South Pacific” screening, but I got a brief taste of being mitzified here. She’s got a lot of swell stories. I’m sorry I didn’t see more of her. She seems like a hoot. Oooooh, I wonder what it'd be like to team her with Debbie Reynolds? :shock: :shock:

“IT ALWAYS RAINS ON SUNDAY”

It was only seven in the evening, but the running around started taking its toll on me and I hadn't even started drinking yet. I went to see this for Googie Withers, who blew me away in “Night & the City.” But alas, I kept dozing off during the picture. Please read King Rat’s account here for the movie. The last ten minutes of the movie with a chase scene in a railroad yard was riveting. I owe this movie more of my attention.

After the movie ended, I thought I would see Eva Marie Saint talk of her experience working with Brando and then catch that rousing rockumentary “GIMME SHELTER.” But I heard the soft plaintive cries of “You’ve GOT to see Jean Arthur.” “I love Jean Arthur,” from my movie crew. “You’re not going to see Dietrich?!” Well, what’s a Maven s’posed to do. You can’t fight Jean Arthur fans. Especially if you're out-numbered.

“A FOREIGN AFFAIR”

I’d have to get through Mayonnaise-y John Lund, but the light at the end of the tunnel that would guide me through this movie I always resisted when it aired on tv, was Dietrich’s sequins. And as a new Jean Arthur fan ( but Jean in the 30’s ) why was I skeptical? I needn’t have been. It’s the vim and vinegar of Billy Wilder that will pull you through! Sharp observations of post-war Berlin and Army “morale.” Everybody’s using everybody, hip hip hoooooray! Black market. Is there anyone more glamorous than Marlene Dietrich? Dietrich has got to be the most glamorous actress in Hollywood. You're just not going to see her with an apron on, though you will see her walking in the desert with high heels traipsing after some monk. Some of my friends were literally singing out loud to Dietrich’s nightclub songs. All the words! ( :shock: ) How do folks so young know this stuff. Classic film buffs...they come in all countries and ages. As I scanned down the row where all my sisters under the mink, were lined up, they occasionally looked over at me to get my reaction/approval to Jean Arthur. I’m a neophyte to Jean, and have to revisit all the movies I’ve already seen of her since I’m now on the 'liking her' side of the fence. Well I’ll tell you, if I EVER doubt Jean Arthur again, I’ll never tell you. She was very good in this movie. Precision, comic timing, an efficiency expert type. Not one false moment as the uptight Senator. She did this bit with putting away her glasses that made me fall out as it went on and on and on. Jean Arthur was like Gypsy Rose Lee in reverse, with those glasses. John Lund was pretty good too. He handled the Wilder material quite well. The movie resonated with me for the rest of the night, Wilder’s piquant observations making me silently say “WoW!” Instead of dousing out the night with the midnight show of “Plan 9 From Outer Space” I was invited back to the girls’ flat for some scrambled eggs, wine and watching videos. A nice way to top off DAY 2 of the festival.

(( The modern-day shots posted, are still images from my video of the stars at the festival ))

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Thank you! I've been waiting to hear all about what I missed!

I am so glad you went to see Libeled Lady. I was in Night of the Hunter, and then off to River of No Return where Sam and I sang along with all those iconic ditties. "One Silver Dollar..."
CineMaven wrote:
Shall I broaden my horizons ( “I KNOW WHERE I’M GOING” ) or go with the comfort food of familiarity ( “LIBELED LADY.” ) I went with what I know and with what I wanted to experience with a crowd of my peoples:

“LIBELED LADY”
I went with my heart's desires this year, too!

Mitzi and Debbie! What a combo! They should both be on the cruise!

Breakfast was fun with all those gals and our friends!

(Removed photo link to tweak it.)

I will have to hunt for the rest of those breakfast photos!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow, I don't know where to start, after reading your review of the 5 MOVIES 5 (Wish I could make that blink on and off like a theatre marquis).

I am envious of your getting to see so many great films, but of course that's a given. Marlene Dietrich in A Foreign Affair on a big screen WITH PEOPLE SINGING ALL THE SONGS???? That's craaaazy good!

"TCM Black Market....Come, I'll show you things you cannot get elsewhere...."

I'll trade you some John Lund for a glimpse of Marlene 10 feet tall...

[youtube][/youtube]

I'm so glad you are growing into a Jean Arthur fan. It's funny that she and Marlene are both blondes and yet polar opposites.

I really have to watch Libeled Lady all over again now, and with a totally different mindset. Powell and Tracy, eh? Incredible. It's the one combo in the film I never even thought to watch.

When I saw The Narrow Margin for the first time, I had my socks blown off by Marie Windsor. She's just SO damn good. Gotta see more, more, more of her. Any suggestions? I'm sad, because I am all too aware that there are only a finite number of her movies.

“What a little pal you are Dev. Right below the belt everytime."

So were there any surprises for you in Notorious? Things you hadn't seen on a small screen?

"Some kind of love test.
That's right."

Mitzi is a pistol alright! Does the woman NEVER age? Sheesh. I remember her shows on TV were so full of pizazz.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

VIDEO STYLE

COMING SOON.

...As soon as I stop lazing around the tv and get crackin' with the editing.