The Village, perhaps another Downton

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

The Village, perhaps another Downton

Post by stuart.uk »

The Village is a critically acclaimed drama in the UK. The idea behind it is, that through a 100-year-old Bert, we see life in the same village over the 20th Century. The first season, of 6 epiosdes, has just finished, looking at life during The First War.

Bert's working class parent's are played by John Simm (lIfe On Mars and Doctor Who) and Maxine Peake. I get the impression Peake's character will develop into someone who fights for womens rights. Maxine joked that while the upperclasses in the story wore several great costumes, she wore 2 dawdy skirts for the whole season.

Playing the head of the upperclasses is the underrated Juliet Stevenson (Bend It Like Beckam). Unlike some of her children, her character seems to be rather liberal for someone from her class.

I haven't seen much of it, so I hope I've described it right, but have been impressed by what I've seen so far.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Village, perhaps another Downton

Post by moira finnie »

This sounds great the way that you described it, Stuart. I hope The Village is destined for America too. Here's the first episode from youtube:

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks