Steve Forrest The Baron RIP

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Steve Forrest The Baron RIP

Post by stuart.uk »

It was sad to here of the passing of Steve Forrest, the brother of Dana Andrews. I remember him in a very small role in The Bandwagon, followed by a good supporting role as a GI training for Korea in Take The High Ground. He was also good as Elvis' older step brother Clint Burton in one of the great underrated westerns Flaming Star.

When Roger Moore made the early Saints, the show was produced by Monty Bermen and Roy Baker. However, when Roger's contract was up for renewal, he stated he wanted to make more Saints provided Bermen wasn't involved with the show. As a result Bermen left and produced The Baron, a show very like The Saint. He brought Steve over from American to star in the show as John Mannering an antique dealer, who also works for British intelligence with assisant Cordelia Winfield, as played by the late Sue Llyod. Though shown in America, The Baron doesn't appear well known there. However, most folk of a certain age in the UK will associate Steve with John Mannering more than anyother character he played.

Other roles I remember was Johnny Rondo in The High Chapperal. He appeared to be killed off in one of the latter episodes of Gunsmoke, but his role was reprised nearly 30-yrs later in Gunsmoke The Return To Dodge, where tries to kill an aging, but still fit Matt Dillon. He was also in the sequel to Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, The Sundance Woman with Katherine Ross.

Here's a clip comparing Simon Templar to John Mannering

Apart from The Baron, he did star in another series SWAT, this time in America.
Vienna

Re: Steve Forrest The Baron RIP

Post by Vienna »

I also liked Steve in DALLAS. He had quite a long running role in it alongside Barbara Bel Geddes.