Morgan Freeman Comment

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I remember reading "Dondi" when I was a kid in the early Seventies. It was the only "story" comic strip I read, as opposed to funny strips like "BC" and "Peanuts."

I know there is a "Dondi" movie out there because I read about it once in a book on movies of the Fifties. (Maybe it was "Movies are Better Than Ever," I don't remember the title.) Boy, did that author have fun ripping the "Dondi" movie apart for cheap sentimentality. He made it sound utterly awful.

The reason I remember "Dondi" the comic strip so well is that the stuffiest of my aunts told me that "Dondi" was the best comic strip for someone like me to read. I thought that was really a weird thing to say.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

MikeBSG wrote:I remember reading "Dondi" when I was a kid in the early Seventies. It was the only "story" comic strip I read, as opposed to funny strips like "BC" and "Peanuts."

I know there is a "Dondi" movie out there because I read about it once in a book on movies of the Fifties. (Maybe it was "Movies are Better Than Ever," I don't remember the title.) Boy, did that author have fun ripping the "Dondi" movie apart for cheap sentimentality. He made it sound utterly awful.

The reason I remember "Dondi" the comic strip so well is that the stuffiest of my aunts told me that "Dondi" was the best comic strip for someone like me to read. I thought that was really a weird thing to say.
Maybe because it showed a "good" little boy, and had no violence? I don't recall if I ever actually saw the movie, but I do sort of remember the theme song, which was sung by Patti Page. I just looked Dondi (1961) up, and Ms. Page was actually in the film, along with David Janssen, Arnold Stang, Gale Gordon and a few other character stalwarts. The boy who played Dondi was not one of the cute Italian boys we've talked about. The name listed is David Kory. IMDb says his mother was a Rockette.

About the comic, I remember that Dondi wore the kahki green clothing of the GIs, much too-big shirt and pants, and a hat with the brim turned sideways (kind of looked the way skinny hip-hoppers look now - like they are wearing their dad's clothes). And I remember that Dondi used to say "Goshes!" and call the GIs Uncle this and that. Since this film never plays on TV, it probably was pretty excruciating.