WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

JackFavell

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

Hahahaha! Is THAT what they call it? You can really see her 'sense of humor' in the Ziegfeld type shot. :D
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Among other qualities, Wendy!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

“THE SILVER CORD” ( 1933 )

“A man’s mother is his mother.”
Uh-oh...
Eric Linden, Frances Dee, Laura Hope Crews, Irene Dunne and Joel McCrea

Since mostly seeing her as ‘Prudence’ and ‘Aunt Pittypat’ in “Camille” and “Gone With the Wind” I was shocked to the core when I watched my dvd of “THE SILVER CORD” this afternoon. Laura Hope Crews gives an astounding performance as a mother whose pathological neediness cripples both her grown sons with almost devastating consequences.

She is a wonder to behold as she holds you in her grip as you watch her destructive parental machinations play out. Her iron grip of guilt and pity truly enslaves her younger son played by Eric Linden. I was torn between feeling sorry for him and wanting to smack him in the back o’ the head. I yelled and screamed for him to just walk out the door. But he couldn’t. He just couldn’t defy his mother; it was as though there was an invisible electronic fence around the perimeter. It kept him from crossing the threshhold. Crews has made him a virtual prisoner with her emotional blackmail. Frances Dee is Linden's ill-fated fiancee. Now any man who leaves Frances Dee must be insane. She has a shrill crack-up at being jilted by Linden. At first, she doesn't realize she actually dodged a bullet getting out of that relationship. Her desperate hysteria at wanting to escape was palpable. She had seen and had had enough. It’s funny to see her with Joel McCrea but not be with Joel McCrea. They had a whirlwind courtship during this film and married later on in '33.

McCrea. Because he’s the handsome leading man-type, I was wondering how they would portray him as a Momma’s Boy. They did. I was in shock when right before my very eyes this tall drink of water becomes infantilized by Crews. He gets tucked into bed, starts to sort of sound like an overgrown kid; and that kiss from Mom...square on the lips. What the heck is going on here???!!! My jaw dropped. My jaw dropped several times during this film. He has slightly more chutzpah, but just slightly. I think Mom really liked him best and that’s what gets him just the slightest slightest of breaks over Linden. There are none so blind...he spouts his mother’s teachings and gives his wife chaste kisses after his mother ‘chats’ with him. He’s torn and pained and wants his cake and eats it too. His wife is played by Irene Dunne. I thought she was very good in this. It almost made me think of an Ann Harding role. You know, one of those liberated no-nonsense straight shooters. She’s a “lady scientist” and has a showdown with her brand new mother-in-law. It’s a pip. She pieces together what she’s seeing between Mother and Sons in a relationship that’s symbiotic and too too uncomfortably close. She tries to calmly make Joel see that he’s inside an abusive relationship, but he just doesn’t see it. Who doesn't want to absorb, lap up, drink in ( what feels like ) absolutely unconditional love, but is really something more destructive. She gives him one more chance to choose between her and his mother. She cleans house before she leaves, going toe-to-toe with Crews. I loved Dunne’s straight, no chaser, approach; clinical, no beating around the bush.

Dunne: Oh I know Mrs. Phelps all about the legend of yourself as a woman you’ve built up these past thirty years for your sons to worship. But it hasn’t taken me long to see that you’re not fit to be anyone’s mother.”

Crews: I do not deny, I’d cut off my right arm and burn the sight out of my eyes to rid my son of you.”

Oooooh boy...
Joel McCrea, Laura Hope Crews and Irene Dunne

It’s Laura Hope Crews’ movie all the way. She twists and turns her emotions at the drop of a hat. She’s manipulative and deceitful. She plays one son against the other with her lies. She wants them dependent on her. She’s narcissistic. Theatrical. She’s got Münchausen syndrome on steroids. She doesn’t spin and sputter like Aunt PittyPat. She’s gallingly hateful. She makes me see the genius of that sputtering persona she's used in other films. Her speech at the end of the movie makes a great case for her “Mother’s Love.” She made my head spin watching her hypocrisy. No girl would ever be suitable for her boys.

Love means, never having to say “I’m smothered.”
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

I am glad you loved this one Tess. It's Crews' film all the way, but since back then (and now too ;)) they needed big Hollywood names, Dunne is star-billed. I read on the liner notes of the Spanish DVD that Pandro S. Berman thought of Ann Harding for the role of Christina first, but thought she hadn't enough strength to handle the part...whatever that may mean.... :roll (don't agree at all): Then everything pointed at Kate Hepburn getting the role, but it finally went to Irene who did a wonderful job.

It's one of my favorite films from the '30s and one that I shall revisit frequently I bet. There was a time when dialogue mattered....
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've had this one in my case for some time. I guess I need to get it out.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I really enjoyed "The Silver Cord." Listen to me when I tell you Fernando that I was shocked all the way through. What prompted me to see it was Frances Dee and reading a little something that you recently wrote, but for the life of me I can't find that recent review. Here is something you wrote about the movie three years ago. I don't think Katharine Hepburn would have been right for the part. IMO I think she would have been too strong for the part. There was something very today and modern about Irene Dunne's attitude even though sometimes the speechifying was very 1930's. I think one should sit down one Saturday night with some popcorn and the in-laws and share this movie.

Let me know if anybody is speaking to each other in the morning.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Theresa, I can't say that I thought that The Silver Cord would cause anyone to take sides, but was surprised that the movie evoked so many responses when posting about it three years ago here. I enjoyed it as an entertainment, but found the Laura Hope Crews' character seemed a bit unreal but enjoyably theatrical to me. The reactions of those around her were more compelling to me when I saw this movie (esp. Frances Dee & Eric Linden). The clingy moms I've seen in real life seemed far more destructive--and subtle--than Ms. Crews.

It was really fascinating to see Joel McCrea at such a young age playing a character who was so boyish he seemed to be going from one strong woman to another--the very sensible Irene Dunne character--who was never going to subjugate her identity entirely to another.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Most movies heighten reality a bit so Crews' Mother Goddamm was wonderfully uncomfortable to watch and used her theatricality to get her way. ( Something to akin to Redd Foxx's Sanford clutching his heart and telling his late wife he's coming. ) Her speech at the end swayed me a bit 'cuz she was making her case. She was wrong, but making her case. I've been lucky with seeing most of my friends' moms being ladies that seemed even keel. Of course we don't know what goes on behind closed doors but my little friends were all pretty well-adjusted. Thanks for citing your Morlock article of three years ago on "The Silver Cord" I'll give it a read.

feaito

Post by feaito »

CineMaven wrote:I really enjoyed "The Silver Cord." Listen to me when I tell you Fernando that I was shocked all the way through. What prompted me to see it was Frances Dee and reading a little something that you recently wrote, but for the life of me I can't find that recent review. Here is something you wrote about the movie three years ago. I don't think Katharine Hepburn would have been right for the part. IMO I think she would have been too strong for the part. There was something very today and modern about Irene Dunne's attitude even though sometimes the speechifying was very 1930's. I think one should sit down one Saturday night with some popcorn and the in-laws and share this movie.

Let me know if anybody is speaking to each other in the morning.
Ha, ha, ha! Tess. Righto. It would be a grand experience. I showed "Dodsworth" (1936) to my parents years ago to see some reactions, because some of the dialogue could see them reflected, not in Fran's desperate pursuit of youth, but on some other aspects....mmmm....they did not comment much

What do you think of Berman's assessment that I mentioned, about Harding not being right for the part for lacking the necessary strength?

The mini-review I wrote recently upon seeing it again a few days ago and which helped your decision to watch it, is on my Facebook wall, were I'm currently writing most of them. Here it is:
I have just revisited with my wife "The Silver Cord" (1933) titled in Spain "Dos Amores" (Two Loves), the film adaptation of Sidney Howard's stage play about really sick and vicious motherly love as portrayed by Laura Hope Crews (Mrs. Phelps) , in a rather excellent performance. The film shows its theatrical roots, but nevertheless is totally engrossing, with great performances by the three women involved in it: the aforementioned Crews, Irene Dunne, who plays the very modern and independent (for 1933) Christina, a scientist, and lovely Frances Dee as Hester. Joel McCrea and Eric Linden play Mama's boys. Brilliant dialogue and manipulation galore and very "Precodish" IMO. I was able to watch this film for the first time some years ago, thanks to the kindness of my pal Moira; when I knew that it had been released in Spain on DVD I bought it immediately in order to watch it with my wife -who's not very fluent in English- and she liked it and was impressed by Crews' monstrous and devouring expressions of motherly love...in fact we were impressed by Mrs. Phelps because we know a lady that's quite exactly as her now in 2013, that has her own Rob (Eric Linden) tied to her skirts....Vintage
Moira, I see what you say about Crews' performance, because my 21 year old nephew was watching part of the film with us and made fun of Crews' enunciation, but we have to take into account that modern audiences are not used to listen to much dialogue and to long scenes with only conversation (sans action), to film adaptations of stage plays, etc. But as we are used to old films and their style, maybe it does not strike as theatrical or old fashioned. Who knows? But IMO Crews's performance is tremendously effective. I know a lady just like Hope Crews, as I mentioned above and perhaps even more selfish and not at all subtle; a relative I respect describes her as being straightforwardly evil. She'd definitely side with Crews!!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I know what you mean about the careful elucidation of her dialogue by Crews, who was an exemplar of a certain school of acting in that period that was declamatory as well as more realistic than previous generations' acting style. I think her characterization was groundbreaking in its depiction of mother love as a potentially negative psychological impact. I think when we look at The Silver Cord, we probably ought to remember that motherhood was usually enshrined in Victorian sentimentality well into the 20th century, which is one aspect of Sidney Howard's original play that interested me a great deal back when writing that Morlocks piece.

Up till the time of the play of The Silver Cord, I believe that Crews had already garnered a long reputation as a character actress with a comedic gift, so this dramatic role was a bit of a departure for her. Still, she'll always be Aunt Pittypat to most of us--including me!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

feaito wrote:What do you think of Berman's assessment that I mentioned, about Harding not being right for the part for lacking the necessary strength?
Hey Fernando -- :) -- I'm not sure who or where this Berman reference is. But I was thinking about Harding or Dunne or Kate Hepburn in the part of the older son's wife.

ImageImage

It's good food for thought who might play Joel McCrea's wife in "The Silver Cord." For me, Hepburn would be too strong. His character's wife doesn't need another ****-busting female over his shoulder. Between Dunne ( who was great ) and Harding ( who would be wonderful ) I still lean a little towards Dunne. I think Harding and Dunne would be gentle enough with him to help McCrea reason his way out of the mess he's in. She'd gently coax him to see the errors of his Mother's ways. They both play smart women, women who have professions and might just convince their men to let them keep working, instead of winding up in the kitchen witha an apron on right after the honeymoon. I think Dunne would be a touch more down-to-earth than Harding. But I wouldn't have minded her either. They should just know this: they'd have a force to be reckoned with, with Laura Hope Crews.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

How about your new found star, Maven, Helen Hayes?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with your assessment. Dunne was perfect, but Harding would have been good as well. The assessment by Berman was written on the liner notes of the booklet included in the Spanish DVD Edition.

As for Wen's question...Are you asking that to our pal because you have seen the endearing Miss Hayes confront his husband's (Bob Montgomery) snobbish family in MGM's "Another Languague" (1933), a film I have been looking for for years?? I've also read that Louise Closser-Hale plays Bob's suffocating mother and that he's quite mama's boy (What a coincidence it was released the same year than TSC).....I bet it's a very good movie!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Helen Hayes. Hmmmm...I think she might've done well. But I'm not quite quite quite feeling her. Awwww heck, she did do "Another Language" which I enjoyed. And she was fighting a whole family of creeps. I've just finished her biography, and she was quite a down-to-earth, warm, talented lady. Maybe I'm shallow enough to look to cast someone more...glamorous.

Maybe I can SKYPE you "Another Language" Fernando.