Lost John Gilbert Feature Found???

Gagman 66

Lost John Gilbert Feature Found???

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o So what's this? Rumblings on the TCM board this morning that King Vidor's long lost 1926 MGM Production of BARDLEY'S THE MAGNIFICENT, starring John Gilbert and Eleanor Boardman, has been found apparently in-tact, in a French Archive? Does anyone here know anything more about this story?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Gagman,
I noticed when I read more about this on the TCM thread (see here for details, please), that this film seems to have been unearthed by a French archivist. Do you know anymore about this? Will it ever be commercially distributed? Will it need restoration before being shown? Thanks for alerting others about this "lost" film being rediscovered.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

moirafinnie,

:o Well, apparently this story is accurate, and a print of BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT (1926) close to complete, has been found! So that is the good news! However, that does not necessarily mean this movie will be popping up on TCM anytime soon? I hope that it will, but I most certainly wouldn't count on it!

:roll: All indications are that this film is still very much under-copyright? It is not automatically declared as "Public Domain", or as an "Orphaned Film"? I'm rather inclined to doubt that this Frenchman is going to be allowed to just run the film of his own volition, without striking some sort of agreement with Warner's in order to do so?

Yes, I would also assume that at least some restoration work will be required as well? Especially given that it appears to be a Nitrate print that was discovered? I don't believe that the movie is on Safety-Stock? I suppose that it could be? Maybe it has since been transferred to Safety-Stock, or at least to some other type of film elements? Who knows?

:? It seems that some years ago, another King Vidor film starring John Gilbert HIS HOUR (1924), was uncovered in Europe? At least this is what I am now being told. I am still trying to determine the authenticity of this story as well.

:shock: Anyway, Warner's evidentially nabbed the print, stashed it in the vaults, and subsequently it appears that they have forgotten all about it??? The Movie has not as yet been re-mastered, and no one has been hired to score the film, as far as I can tell? So all of this is rather disappointing if correct? :(

:? Again, let me stress that I have yet to confirm any of this? As far as I knew but for a few fragment's, HIS HOUR is still considered to be a Lost film? If a print was in-fact located a few years back, one would think that it would have been a more widely heralded discovery?

:D This was essentially the film that made Gilbert a major property at MGM, his break out success. Gilbert was popular with movie-goers even under his Fox contract. He had enjoyed some solid Hit's. But it was Vidor's HIS HOUR" written by Madame Elinor Glyn. that made John Gilbert a legitimate Superstar!

:) That being said, Turner has at least a couple more John Gilbert features from the 20's that nothing has been done with. MAN. WOMAN, AND SIN (1927), with Jeanne Eagels, and Clarence Brown's THE COSSACKS (1928), with Renee Adoree, and Nils Asther. It's much more likely that we could see restorations of one or both of these movies much sooner, than it is either HIS HOUR, or BARDELY'S THE MAGNIFICENT. I have been waiting on THE COSSACKS in particular for years!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for elaborating on the basic facts of this story, Gagman. I've been doing a Google News search ever since I read your original post to see if anything further appears in the English-speaking or French press. This movie and His Hour sound like ideal properties for TCM to develop, doesn't it?
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I must say that I was the person who first wrote about this discovery on another board. It spread very quickly to various other boards, including yours.

The original news was mentioned by Patrick Brion who is the chief movie programmer on channel 'France 3' (he has been showing classics on it since 1975). He said the film had been found and would be shown on this channel as soon as the film rights are 'cleared'. I should add that Brion has always enjoyed a very close business relationship with MGM and later TCM/Warner as he uses a lot their catalogue.
http://blog.france3.fr/cinema-minuit/in ... /60727-new

Since, I got more info about it. The person who found the film (in a French cellar apparently!!! :shock: ) is Serge Bromberg who is the head of Lobster Films. Lobster is a company which releases and restores silent pictures. So my guess is they will certainly try to release it on DVD.
http://news.sawf.org/Entertainment/45985.aspx
http://www.lepoint.fr/content/cinema/ar ... ?id=213248

As for the film rights, I have no idea regarding the film status in Europe...