Mr. Wu (1927)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Mr. Wu (1927)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Lon Chaney in a dual role--what's not to like? 8) Anybody staying up for this one?
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Mr. Arkadin,

:? My only recording of this film comes from a 2000 TCM broadcast. I recorded it on Super VHS-ET in EP mode, at the time. I have since transferred the film to DVD-R, but it had some minor tracking glitches. In 2003, or 2004 TCM ran the movie again, but I happened to miss the airing on that occasion.

:x Far from pleased about having to record the film with the new TCM Logo Bug popping up every 15 minutes, or so! This is not really so much in the way of a Duel-Role for Chaney, as He plays the Elder Mandarin, and than later the Younger WU. I believe the grandson? Nothing like THE BLACKBIRD (1926), where Lon portrayed two very different brothers, who were in reality the same person!

:D MR. WU boast's a very good supporting cast, with Louise Dresser, Ralph Forbes, and Anna Mae Wong. However, the best reason to watch this one is the ever delightful Renee Adoree, who plays the Mandarin's Daughter. This film just might shock you a bit, with it's highly disturbing, and tragic turn of events?

:roll: The Maria Newman score starts out with promise, but quickly evaporates into something virtually intolerable much of the time! I really wish TCM would have this picture scored again!

I will be very interested to hear what you and other people here , have to say about this movie once you have seen it?
Last edited by Gagman 66 on October 29th, 2007, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Gagman, I have an old copy (I think the 2003 show you missed) that I transfered to DVD awhile back. It was recorded in EP as well so it looks a bit grainy. I'm glad to get another shot at a decent recording. While I'm not really thrilled at TCm's logo popping up on my recordings either, it's better than not having the film at all.

How did your Blackbird print come out? Still dying to see that one.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:) The print of THE BLACKBIRD is nearly pristine! The recording is average, but still looks pretty good. It has no musical score, but I can add one. This film should be high up on TCM's agenda. A full-length Tod Browning/Chaney, film in top-notch condition! With Renee Adoree too! :oops:

:o In all honesty, THE BLACKBIRD is probably a much better movie than the much ballyhooed lost 1927 feature LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT!
Last edited by Gagman 66 on October 29th, 2007, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I definitely would agree with that statement. London After Midnight is a very poor film in my opinion. It's remake Mark of the Vampire (1935), is a better film in every way.

Other than Chaney's makeup (which I personally think was nowhere near as good as some of his other concoctions) and his walk that influenced Groucho Marx, there is not much here. I think the segment of the TCM DVD they wasted with that project could have been better served with the film He Who Gets Slapped (1924).
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on October 28th, 2007, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Mr. Arkadin,

:) Well, HE WHO GETS SLAPPED, THE UNHOLY THREE (Silent, and Sound versions), and TELL IT TO THE MARINES are all coming to official DVD shortly. Part of the 2nd Chaney TCM Box set collection.

:? I was holding out hope for THE BLACKBIRD, or maybe THE MOCKERY, to also be included in the set? There will be a new documentary on Tod Browning.

:roll: Unless TCM has re-mastered the films, and is replacing the scores on both HE WHO GETS SLAPPED, and THE UNHOLY THREE though, I would just as soon that they had chosen some other titles?

To me TELL IT TO THE MARINES is the best of the bunch.
Last edited by Gagman 66 on October 29th, 2007, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Heard they were doing that, but we are still waiting.... :?

What about While the City Sleeps? Also curious if they will include the 1930 talking version of Unholy Three.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Mr. Arkadin,

:shock: No, Derek announced over on his board, that this release was coming up shortly! In February I believe? I'll see if I can locate the post?
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hey, I believe you. 8) Just been hearing about it for about a year now. Do you have The Mockery? I've heard about that one, but never seen it.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Mr. Arkadin,

:o I'm I seeing things, or maybe not seeing things? Was that An entirely "Bug-Free" MR. WU? I don't believe it! I think it was? I never spotted the new, or old logo, even once?

:) When TCM aired THE FRESHMAN a few weeks ago, I believe that the logo never turned up a single time during that broadcast either? Really happy if there were zero station ID's tonight? WOW!

:roll: Yes, I do have THE MOCKERY (1927), and WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1928), as well! Both have very good scores! The prints are probably solid, but unfortunately, the recordings themselves were poor! The latter is apparently missing about a reel? Though it still holds up quite well.

:) I also have WHERE EAST IS EAST (1929), a film that has been shown on TCM with it's Vintage score in the past. I haven't seen it though. This recording has no musical accompaniment of any kind. The print isn't bad. The recording is better, than some of them.

:P Someone was actually marketing these a little while back as LON CHANEY BOOTLEGS VOLUME ONE, & TWO! I am not kidding here!

Yet another rare Chaney feature is THE ROAD TO MANDALAY (1926). But this version is pretty poor quality, and is very truncated! :(
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hmm, you and I need to talk. I was waiting for the show to start and dropped off and awoke 10 minutes in. :? I'll send you a PM later.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Gagman 66 wrote:The Maria Newman score starts out with promise, but quickly evaporates into something virtually intolerable much of the time! I really wish TCM would have this picture scored again!

I will be very interested to hear what you and other people here , have to say about this movie once you have seen it?
I recorded it but haven't watched it. Did it still have the Maria Newman score? I feel like you do -- her scores tend to get on my nerves after about 15 minutes.