Little Women

JackFavell

Re: Little Women

Post by JackFavell »

Oh I know, miss Ro! I am a bit new to the later version, having only watched it in the last couple of years for the first time, cause I was too snobby about the Hepburn version to try it. I found I enjoyed it very much to my surprise.

I can't possibly decide between the two, especially with the role of Amy, played to perfection by BOTH Elizabeth Taylor and blonde Joan Bennett. I think Taylor is funnier, but Joan really has that selfish streak down already, and this was years before her turn as Kitty in Scarlet Street!

I find it strange that I like Douglass Montgomery best as Laurie, I used to not really care for him much, but times have changed and I found him charming today.

I do like Beth played younger, and Margaret O'Brien was such a good actress. But I like the way they deal with the Beth parts of the story in the earlier film.

Professor Bhaer is another tough call... I find Paul Lukas to be the better actor, however, Rosanno Brazzi is far more to my taste as a love interest. I think this one comes out a tie.

As for Jo, I think Hepburn wins hands down, she's just every inch the role. I have found a real respect and liking for June Allyson also in the last few years, again to my surprise. But Hepburn has it all, the New England upbringing, the tomboyishness, the will to greatness... June, thank goodness didn't try to copy or walk in Hepburn's footsteps, she gives a really good performance. But I love Kate's Jo. I feel for her and with her.

Great to know we were watching at the same time, my friend. Even if we are miles apart, we can still feel connected through classic films and TCM. Merry Christmas!
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Jackie.. I think if we had to compare notes.. ha. I am opposite of you in that I prefer how Beth's story is told in the later version. (but again.. I think it is just because of how well I love Margaret's portrayal) As for Professor Bhaer.. hmmmmmmmmmm I really don't have a leaning on him.. ha. I like them both (maybe for different reasons.. but not in a specific enough way to say what those are)

And you have the two Amy's described perfectly. (I love Elizabeth Taylor.. she is hilarious.. but I do think Joan does a very good job with the selfishness as you say) They are like the professor.. ha. they both work well for me (for different reasons) so I think I like one about as much as I do the other.

As for Marmee.. aggh.. I am still on the fence. ha. I really love the conversation w/ Mary Astor as Marmee where she talks about how she DOES have plans for her daughters.. for them to be kind and have self respect.. I can't recall the exact words (you'd THINK I could as many times as I've seen it.. ha) But I always love Spring in the Marmee role too.. so ha.. I am going to call it a draw.

And I agree, it is good that June did not even try to duplicate Kate. I think they both do a good job, but Kate pretty much gets top prize, from me too, I think.
To be honest.. for me, maybe the BEST way to watch is to have one play right after the other.. ha. (too bad they put them so far apart today.. so early in the day.. and so late at night.. I am thinking I may fall asleep before the 49 even gets started, ha. (good thing Meet Me in St. Louis is on tonight.. if only so I can get my Margaret O. fix. ha)

You are right in saying it is fun to know we were both watching at the same time. We should check our calendars and next time you should come on over.. I'll make a big ole tub of popcorn and a big plate of brownies.. you bring the Dr. Pepper and we can watch movies and gab and blab to our heart's content. ha. :lol:

Merry Christmas to you too, young'un. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That would be such fun, Ro. I actually dream about doing that!

I was thinking about you when I saw the 49 version was on at something like 3 in the morning! I do remember that speech of Mary Astor's, now that you mention it... it's lovely. Another reason why I didn't even ATTEMPT to compare Marmees!

Have a wonderful holiday. It's been great chatting! Aren't you proud of me that I didn't even bring up the 90's version? :D
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

JackFavell wrote:That would be such fun, Ro. I actually dream about doing that!
Wouldn't it be a hoot.. we'll have to invite Neighbor Knitty too.. she is just across the state line from me (come on over sometime Neighbor! I still owe you a Rose of Sharon and a Lilac bush.. ha.. Jackie.. do you need any extra landscaping to take home with you???) :D
JackFavell wrote:Have a wonderful holiday. It's been great chatting!
You too, dear girl.. always a pleasure.
JackFavell wrote:Aren't you proud of me that I didn't even bring up the 90's version?
Ha!! I DO remember you telling me about that one. I think I even checked it out of the library once but just could not bring myself to watch it.. silly me. Someday I will give it another try.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha, I don't need any butterfly bushes, thank you! I swear I could sell the things, they grow up in my yard like weeds, reproduce like rabbits.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jacks, those bushes are for me....and I'll bring Topsy's carmel/cheese/cinnamon mix popcorn. It's a local treat, and the best ever.

I grew up with the 49version, but after seeing Kate's version, I consider it the 'real' one.

Mary Astor was filming both Little Women and Act of Violence at the same time....now THATS acting!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Wooooo HOO! Topsy's Cinnamon popcorn.. Oh my goodness me, oh my!! :lol:

Hiya, Neighbor.. hey I grew up w/ the 49 version too.. in fact, I think my very first time ever watching it was one Christmas when we came out here to KC to visit my Grandma for Christmas (way back in the early 70's when my dad was stationed in Alabama w/ the Army) You and I might have been watching it together.. way back then. ha. Who knew?? I don't remember the first time I saw the Kate version... but I do know it was some years later.

I don't think I have seen Act of Violence, but judging from the title.. ha.. that WOULD be quite a contrast going from one character to another, I bet.

(meanwhile.. Jackie.. Butterfly bushes would be GREAT in my flowerbed out front.. but I do know what you mean about how they take over and repopulate.. ha.. that is why I have so many rose of Sharon.. Neighbor Nancy.. sorry that the year got away from me or you'd have those bushes in the ground already.. agh.. I had too many irons in the fire this past year.. I DO solemnly promise.. this spring... after all, your neck of the woods is only a hop skip and a jump away) :)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That is acting! And Ro, you should definitely see Act of Violence... I think you would get a lot out of it. Although at first glance it doesn't seem like your kind of movie, I think you'd end up liking it.
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

I went in and looked it up.. and I remember a conversation between (I think) Mr. Movieman and FrankGrimes in my "Noir Walk" thread at TCM about how shockingly violent parts of this movie were.. yeah, that Mary was doing quite a job if she was going back and forth between those two...I bet Marmee was probably a nice change of pace for her after that, ha.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Hepburn simply radiates Jo. As for the 1990s film, I heard it was quite good. Haven't seen it.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The 1994 version with Winona Ryder as Jo and Susan Sarandon as Marmee is quite good, Red! Mary Wickes plays Aunt March and Kirsten Dunst (young Amy), Samantha Mathis (older Amy), Trini Alvarado (Meg) and Claire Danes (Beth) play the sisters. Beautiful score by Thomas Newman.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Kirsten Dunst (young Amy)

Spider-Girl!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

The Hepburn version was good although I didn't like the guy who played the professor, and my favorite version was the June Allyson one, playing Jo. The 1994 Winona Ryder was also enjoyable, and my favorite scene of the three, was Jo and Laurie dancing in the hallway at Lauries' Christmas party. A version of the same scene was done in all three movies and the newest had a lot of cute antics going on.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

All three films are quite good. It's kind of amazing, there is only one other movie I can think of that has been remade as often and as well, though I know I am stepping into a hornet's nest for saying so.... Shop Around the Corner has been done differently 3 times, and each has merit, though of course, none can really match the brilliance of the Lubitsch version.