Tyrone Power

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Tyrone Power

Post by moira finnie »

In Rage in Heaven (1941) Sanders plays a decent friend to Robert Montgomery's madman. Naturally, Ingrid Bergman finds him a sympathetic and appealing man and strives to protect him from the web of destruction that he weaves around both of them. Not a great movie, but the scenes between Bergman and Sanders are very appealing.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Ty is good in this one, too, though you can't convince me that Roddy McDowall grows up to be Ty!
He lost his English accent in the process.

Sanders as a lumberjack?!!
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't think I've seen SON OF FURY. I probably assumed it was a horse movie!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[color=#800000][u]RedRiver[/u][/color] wrote:I don't think I've seen SON OF FURY. I probably assumed it was a horse movie!
No horses in "SON OF FURY" Red. But it does star ( IMH0 ) two of the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen in my entire life, of any motion picture EVER made. See:

Dang...I don't even need the sound on.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Our friend and former Guest Author, Martha Crawford Cantarini asked me to please post this image. According to Martha (who posts here as rerun):
This was on Wilshire Blvd. Between Westwood and Beverly Hills. We (my
parents and I) lived in the lower apartment closest to the street.
Tyrone had the apartment just above us. As soon as I got home from school
every day I would put on my skates and skate up and down waiting
for Tyrone to get home. He was soooooo nice and always a kind word and great
big smile.

Ah - memories are made of this!

We should all have such sweet memories...cool art deco style building too!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
rerun

Post by rerun »

Alice Faye quote: "He was the best looking thing I've ever seen in my life. Kissing him was like dying and going to heaven."
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I'm a big Tyrone Power fan and everything I've ever read about it makes him sound like he was one of the loveliest men ever in Hollywood -- and I don't mean because of his looks.
moira finnie
Administrator

The Tyrone Power Centennial

Post by moira finnie »

This May 5th marks the 100th anniversary of the day when actor Tyrone Power came into the world. He left it all too soon in 1958, but in 2014 many of us will take time to celebrate his work and life in observation of the centennial of his birth next month. If you know of any events not listed here, please feel free to add them to this thread.

Here are a few of the festive events marking the occasion:

The Power-mad Blogathon celebrating all things Tyrone Power will take place on May 5th. Please click on the image below for more details:

Film historian Matthew Hoffman, who curates the Pickwick Theatre Classic Film Series in Park Ridge, IL, is hosting the first of many celebrations of the life and work of film legend Tyrone Power on May 1st leading up to the 100th anniversary of the actor's birth on May 5th. That evening will feature two of his best remembered films on the big screen for lucky attendees: In Old Chicago (1937) and Jesse James (1939).

This Tyrone Power Centennial Event is particularly noteworthy for the planned presence of the actor's younger daughter, Taryn Power-Greendeer, and his godson, theatre producer Michael Butler ("Hair") at the festivities. The theater will also offer limited editions of the American debut of Romina Power's memoir, "Searching For My Father, Tyrone Power." This first edition will only be available at centennial events such as this celebration. For more about all things Powerful this May at this theater, please visit this link: http://www.parkridgeclassicfilm.com

You can see Matthew Hoffman discussing this event and Power's career here too:
[youtube][/youtube]

A treasure trove of information about the actor and his distinguished theatrical family can be found here as well:

The Tyrone Power Pages

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

CineMaven wrote:
[u]Jezebel38[/u] wrote:I spy Ty as one of the theatre ushers - front row third from left.
:) You're right Jezebel. Thank you so much for watching. :)
That picture was taken c.1930 at the Paramount Theatre (corner of Gilbert and McMillan Avenues) in the Walnut Hills section of Cincinnati. Tyrone Power worked there when he was in high school (Purcell Marion, IIRC).

I'm glad I found this thread. Our movie group has been watching several Tyrone Power movies in recent weeks. We celebrated his birthday earlier this month by watching THE MARK OF ZORRO, and we just watched RAWHIDE last week. He certainly was a hard-working actor; he didn't want to be just another pretty face.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Rawhide" was a pretty intense picture. Jack Elam was just evil. Thanks Dan.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

movieman1957 wrote:"Rawhide" was a pretty intense picture. Jack Elam was just evil. Thanks Dan.
Yeah, everybody in our group said that. One added, "Him and his 10 IQ points."

To which I replied, "He probably lost the rest in a card game with Hugh Marlowe."
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

My dad when a young man served him a hot dog at The Varsity restaurant near Georgia Tech. Told me his Hollywood appearance was as advertised.
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith