'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by CineMaven »

Masha wrote:Have you considered that the vast majority of the water in the world is poisonous to humans? Oceans, seas and large lakes have salt. Many ponds and streams are acidic or contain lethal quantities of minerals. I have read that less than 0.5% of the water in the world is safe to drink.
Yup. All the more reason to watch and regulate companies who carelessly contaminate our drinking water and say nothing, in order to protect their companies' profits.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Wish that wit had been available to help me at 5am today to shovel our sidewalks and alley out from under the 6.5 inches of snow that fell yesterday.

What a mess it's going to be if it ever gets above freezing and stays there for three or four days.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I hope our 60 degrees heads north and east for you, O. We are finally able to see the ground again, in all it's muddy brown glory. Even though mud season is now upon us, I'll take it any day .

Masha, my favorite variation of that poster is Keep calm and Carry YARN. :D
Last edited by knitwit45 on February 18th, 2014, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for sharing that Video - Masha!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Rain!

It came last night, floating in, like a goddess, on a sea of heavy, dark clouds. We raised our parched, dry lips upward and drank it in. The goddess bestowed her gifts over the City of the Angels, nourishing our dried and brown hillsides with her nectar. Reminding us all of that raindrops on a roof while you sleep can be very therapeutic, as long as you don't live on a hillside- this being the City of Angels after all, where houses can careen down hillsides with little warning when the rains come.

The goddess blessed our sleep and tried to heal our land and our souls. We fell hard. as any sap would in our shoes. So many months without this elixir of life can make even the strongest grow weak at the sight of it. Like Burt Lancaster, Robert Mitchum and so many others, we believed the goddess when she promised to stay, to be with us in the morning and that she wouldn't leave.

And then, like every femme fatale from Ava Gardner to Gloria Grahame to Jane Geer, she was gone.

We awoke groggy and off balance.

In her place was sunshine promising a day that would take away the glistening sidewalks, take away the nourishing rain, blasting our hopes with its bright rays.

We wondered if it were all a dream. a mirage out here in the Cadillac desert of the West where dreams seem real and goddesses play with our very souls.

Where water has become almost a priceless, out of our reach, dream of better times gone by.

But, we abide, here in the City of Angels, always hopeful, always optimistic. Our golden land will return, our prayers will be answered.

Just not today.

The goddess has vanished in the twilight before dawn, leaving us with just a taste of that which we crave most-RAIN- and a weary heart.

But, there is talk, that the goddess may invade our dreams again tonight and bring with her a bounty of RAIN and thunderstorms.

And so we wait, perchance, to dream of glistening sidewalks reflecting neon signs, rain coming down in buckets and, in the shadows, the goddess, who will promise to stay, promising to make it all alright, if we give her just one more chance.

And we will.

We always do.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Maybe you should watch Joan Crawford as Miss Sadie Thompson. The patter of rain is almost continuous!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was really brilliant, Lynn. Here's hoping the goddess will stay, at least a little while...
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Here in Seattle, its pretty much a rain country and today we got a nice Spring-Like day and having said that any kind of RAIN in Los Angeles would be a godsend ... Loved your report Lzcutter! :)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As cold as it is in Kentucky, we're usually out of the woods by the first of March. Then we have to worry about tornadoes!
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

[youtube][/youtube]
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

We are rocking and rolling here in the City of Angels this morning. At 6:25 am, we had a 4.4 (downgraded from the initial 4.7) earthquake. Lucy Jones, the "Earthquake Lady" as the news dubs her, is the seismologist at Cal Tech and the go to gal for the news when things like this happen.

She says it was centered in the Sepulveda Pass, about five miles from our house. Felt like it was right under the house. Largest one we have had in the City of Angels since Northridge, twenty years ago.

Yesterday, we peaked out at almost 90 degrees, giving some credence to the urban myth that weather plays a factor.

But definitely explains why the turtles and our dog, Boshido, have been acting so strange the last 48 hours.

All is safe, nothing even fell off any shelves, which is weird considering how strong it was and the amount of stuff we have.

"I feel the earth move, under my feet" as the song goes.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Glad to hear you're safe. We got 8 inches of snow - again. Tired of it, tired of shoveling it, tired of looking at it. Oh, it will be 65 on Saturday.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."