Andrew V Mclaglen Fordian director RI.P

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Andrew V Mclaglen Fordian director RI.P

Post by stuart.uk »

The film director Andrew V Mclaglen has died aged 94. As a director I associate him with 3 actors,John Wayne, James Stewart, whom he directed late in their careers and Roger Moore at his peak.

His films with Wayne include McLintock, The Undefeated, The Hellfighters, Chisum and Cahill United States Marshall. With Moore in the 70s was North Sea Hyjack, The Wild Geese and The Sea Wolves. However,IMO as with many others I think his greatest movie was the American Civil war film Shenandoah with James Stewart and Doug Mclure. Stewart and Mclaglen also worked on The Rare Breed together with Maureen O'Hara. McGlaglen also directed the acclaimed American Civil war mini-series The Blue And The Grey.

Mclaglen was the son of actor Victor Mclaglen, who made many films with John Ford, which seems to have greatly influenced him,as many of his films have a Fordian quailty about them, noteably Shenandoah. McLintock has been called a western version of The Taming Of The Shrew, but is very much like Ford's The Quiet Man, both films starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.
Last edited by stuart.uk on September 4th, 2014, 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
pvitari

Re: Andrew V McGlaglen Fordian director RI.P

Post by pvitari »

Um, it's McLaglen.

I actually much prefer McLaglen's television work, which had a precision and snap and thoughtfulness that his feature films, for the most part, did not display as strongly. Of his features, my favorite is Fool's Parade, which gave James Stewart a truly oddball late-career role and is a lot more quirky than most of McLaglen's other feature work.

My husband loves Ffolkes and The Wild Geese -- he could watch movies like that all day. ;)

McLaglen also had the "honor" of directing Mystery Science Theater 3000 favorite Mitchell. ;)

P.S. The Quiet Man is a masterpiece. McLintock -- not.
stuart.uk

Re: Andrew V Mclaglen Fordian director RI.P

Post by stuart.uk »

Thanks sorted out speeling error