What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Western Guy

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by Western Guy »

Henry Daniell fascinates me. I wish someone would get around to writing a biography on him. He did have that aloof presence but I recall reading somewhere that he was incredibly kind and gracious to his fans and never refused an autograph. A very underrated actor, though, who never quite received his due.
Joe Macclesfield

Post by Joe Macclesfield »

I wish I could recall where I read those comments about Henry Daniell W.G. I see an underlying warmth in some of his performances that sort of belies that aloof impression; the solicitor, "Mayhew" in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION, for example. Do you? P.S. Why not write a biography of Mr. Daniell yourself W.G.?
"...Then as a bee, which among weeds doth fall,
Which seem sweet floures with lustre fresh and gay,
She lights on that, and this, and tasteth all,
But pleasd with none doth rise and sore away..."
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I agree, Joe. There is a kind of warmth that comes through in some of Daniell's performances, even in THE BODY SNATCHER. But he just had that overall bearing to be more effective in villainous parts.

Joe, I've published six biographies and it's a lot of effort to do it right and generally for minimal compensation. You really have to have a passion for your subject. And I think researching Daniell would be quite a task.
Joe Macclesfield

Yes. I was going to make that very observation W.G. I think that--after this reach in time--the real Mr. Daniell would prove quite elusive to any biographer. Also, a biography of Daniell would probably prove too esoteric a subject to make the book saleable. I reckon a book could be got-up along the lines of the old "Films Off..." series. But, again, it would only be of real interest to aficianados.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

That's true, Joe. I don't think the autobiography I worked on for 8 months with Dolores Fuller sold a hundred copies. I got a nice Vegas vacation out of the project but that's about all. Still, I admire these authors so dedicated to their subject that they're willing to spend countless hours and dollars in in-depth research, knowing full well they might not even break even. Again, it's got to be a passion. I admit I would have written the George Raft bio for free simply because I've long been enamored with his life and career. But when I was asked to pen a bio of Jack Palance, I demurred. Not that I don't admire Palance (besides, he's a fellow Ukrainian and I did have the opportunity to briefly meet him as a young'un), but I just couldn't conjure up the interest to do the job well. It's the same with Daniell. I'd be the first to purchase a bio on him, but I just can't muster the enthusiasm to write one.
Joe Macclesfield

I'm currently waiting on the arrival of THE MAN IN THE ATTIC (coupled with: A BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER). Jack Palance isn't easy to "get a handle on". I guess now he's mostly remembered for CITY SLICKERS. That's a long time (and a whole world) away from the pictures I remember him best in (SHANE, ATTACK, I DIED A THOUSAND TIMES). He's the only "Mr. Hyde"--that I can think of--who genuinely suggests actual physical menace (and he suggests that, some, as "Jekyll" too)!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yeah, Palance's Hyde makeup really suggests . . . genuine evil. Barrymore's, too, but he always seemed a bit more exaggerated to me. March's monster was maybe a bit too bestial (though still my preferred version) and Tracy's not menacing enough. MAN IN THE ATTIC is okay, but Palance is too obviously the murderer that any buildup of suspense suggesting his guilt is jettisoned from the moment he appears onscreen. The same with Laird Cregar. I would have preferred if that "shadow of a doubt" -- maybe provided by an effective "red herring" had come into play before the true identity of Jack the Ripper is revealed. Kind of a lost opportunity IMO.
Joe Macclesfield

My brother, Jim, keeps at me to get the Barrymore version. I like Barrymore, but the clips I've seen looked a little creaky. There's a great (and frightening) moment in the March film. Jekyll's just broken off his engagement. He leaves, but pauses, to glimpse "Muriel" through the French windows. At the same moment (with his back to the camera), he changes into Hyde, seeming to fill-out, and grow in stature, at the same time. A masterly moment!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

[quote=" I like Barrymore, but the clips I've seen looked a little creaky. "[/quote]

That's my feeling as well, Joe. God love the silent era. But some of the films are pretty primitive.

I'm another big Henry Daniel fan. A sharp and pointed actor. That's an awkward phrase. What I mean is, he spat dialogue with fire and venom. You never had to wonder what his character was feeling at a given moment! We're all over the place on Lewton. BEDLAM is wonderfully creepy. ISLE OF THE DEAD is flat-out ghostly, as is THE SEVENTH VICTIM. But I like my suspense right in the gut! I prefer I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE to any of the others.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Western Guy wrote:Henry Daniell fascinates me. I wish someone would get around to writing a biography on him. He did have that aloof presence but I recall reading somewhere that he was incredibly kind and gracious to his fans and never refused an autograph. A very underrated actor, though, who never quite received his due.
When I was 12, my family took a vacation trip to California. I was lucky enough to score Mr. Daniela's autograph. He was very kind to a shy little girl, and very very gracious.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

That is so cool that you got the chance to meet Henry Daniell. And it shows what a talented actor he was. Cold, aloof and intimidating onscreen but - as Alan Napier said - a nice man.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

KnitWit, you were probably the only 12 year-old who knew who Henry Daniel was!
Joe Macclesfield

Has anyone seen Lewton's THE GHOST SHIP? It's hard to define; not really a horror movie, but it does have quite weird and chilling moments.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

RedRiver wrote:KnitWit, you were probably the only 12 year-old who knew who Henry Daniel was!
Red, it was because my dad recognized him, having lunch with Charles Bickford. Dad and I asked mr. Bickford for his autograph, then we went back to our table. Dad looked over and realized who was also sitting there. We went back, Dad apologizing profusely, and Mr Daniell smiled and spoke to me for a minute, then signed my book. The thing I will never forget, though, was the huge smile on Mr. Bickford's face..he was so happy his friend hadn't been overlooked. It was truly a sweet moment.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Joe Macclesfield wrote:Has anyone seen Lewton's THE GHOST SHIP? It's hard to define; not really a horror movie, but it does have quite weird and chilling moments.

Are you talking about the 1952 Movie - Ghost Ship?

Full Movie on YouTube.

[youtube][/youtube]

This is a very strange and somewhat weird and bizarre movie if I recall and I vaguely remembered it.