WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Lzcutter »

David,

That was a great summation of Meet John Doe and I think Kyle would have loved it.

Bit of Kyle trivia about the movie, it was his his choice to talk with Robert O about and he was the last interview of the morning the day we filmed our wrap-arounds as fan programmers for the channel's 15th anniversary.

Rather than hurry off the set, Robert O and Kyle continued talking. Kyle brought up the the various similarities between Coop's character and Jesus. He and Robert talked in-depth about the film for another twenty minutes or so. It was fascinating discussion and one I am very glad I got to witness.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The John Doe movement grows and spreads like Christianity. After it falters, Miss Mitchell even exclaims that it will be "Born Again". It's the message that matters. Not the personalities. My first viewing of this classic was, in fact, on Christmas Eve. My family watched it on TV as we got ready for the big day. It was one of those movie watching experiences that shaped me. This was when a lot of people didn't have cable, and nobody had video. An opportunity such as this was rare and beautiful!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Here's a man won't get drunk,
Can't get drunk, shan't get drunk.
Walk the line, chalk the line
Peter O'Pea!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I caught a few minutes of a comedy called DAN IN REAL LIFE. Steve Carrel and some people I never heard of. It looked pretty good. But I wasn't about to watch it on commercial TV. Should I head for the library?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I saw WHITE HEAT today on TCM and it's one of the most exciting crime drama that I ever seen in my lifetime and the performances of James Cagney and Virginia Mayo as Verna was fantastic. It was fast paced, gripping, and so many twists and turns of a government agent infiltrates a gang run by a mother-fixated psychotic that makes a great film.

Wonderfully directed by Raoul Welsh and also starred Edmond O'Brien, Steve Cochran, John Archer, and host of great character actors and also not least to mention a great supporting actress by the name of Margaret Wycherly who played Ma Jarrett.

I was surprised how good it was.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

WHITE HEAT is superb! Almost unbearably exciting, with characters you can reach out and touch. Who do we root for? The good guy or the main character? Who's the hero of the story? Brave officer Pardo (I think that's the name)? Or oddly likeable Cody? This is THE GREAT gangster film!
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

The past two weekends I've seen two new films at the theater, and one old favorite at home

Big Hero 6 - a new animated superhero movie from Disney/Marvel. Lots of fun. Kids and I enjoyed it immensely.

Interstellar - very cerebral, science-heavy film. They explain Einstein's theory of relativity for the masses, and you have to understand it to understand the movies entire premise. Good film with solid performances by the leads, but honestly, I will have to watch it again just to understand everything completely.

My Man Godfrey - one of the all time greats. No need to explain for this crowd here! :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

this is more likely to be playing in New York and LA than in Red’s hometown in Kentucky.

No zombies?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just watched KING KONG 1933 on TCM today and I was entertained by it ... I'm not going to go into much details here; but it was one of those movies that you never get tired of it and at the end ... as the Carl Denham said these immortal words ...

Police Lieutenant: Well, Denham, the airplanes got him.
Carl Denham: Oh no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was beauty killed the beast.

Well Said, by Carl Denham!

[youtube][/youtube]

Ending of this movie ... Truly Epic!
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Truly agree, Eric. It's an always-entertaining classic. All the more amazing when you consider when and how it was made. With all their computer graphics tricks, today's films are rarely entertaining on a second viewing. I don't think they're likely to still be watched 80 years from now.
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A friend of mine makes a convincing argument that this is The Great American Movie! The persecution of the ugly, the depth of loyalty, the comparison of the two "jungles"; the one in New York being by far the more dangerous! I don't attach quite so much praise to the movie. But my friend has a good point!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

What Films Have I Seen Lately? Mostly repeats. Old favorites I've posted about many times. But I did check MGM's grand IVANHOE out of the local library. This flashy spectacle has endured some criticism over the years. Yes, it's a tad melodramatic, in your face. And this is a bad thing? I'm not going to rework my Top Ten just to slip this one onto the list. But I enjoyed it considerably. It's adventurous, dramatic and exciting.

Robert Taylor is not my favorite actor. He's not well cast as Sir Wilfred of Ivanhoe. So don't give him an Oscar! Ladies Fontaine and Taylor are lovely. George Sanders is his usual devilish self. Even Robin Hood makes an appearance, addressed only as Loxley! This is not one of the great movies. But it's fun, colorful, and insulted my intelligence not at all. So satisfied was I, I went back to the library and asked them to order 1953's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE! It looks like I'll be spending more time with Sir Robert and director Richard Thorpe. What ho!
Last edited by RedRiver on November 23rd, 2014, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

The 1933 Kong film is truly one of my very favorites of all time. I have watched it so many times, and will watch it so many more. I've introduced my kids to it, and share the love of it with my youngest at least. We also have bonded over Ray Harryhausen movies, watching all of them together. It's one of the handful of things I will always treasure.

On to what I've seen lately. Last night I watched The Kennel Murder Case, another William Powell classic, with, yes, Eugene Pallette in yet another terrific supporting role full of one liners delivered in the way only he could. Then, this afternoon (I'm living as if it weren't almost Sunday morning), I went to see the latest Hunger Games film, Mockingjay part 1. 2 hours of buildup, and a year to wait for payoff. I tire of film series stretching out for maximum dollars (did the Hobbit really need to be three movies? Sheesh!). Still, it was a good buildup, so I'll be around for the end next year.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Today I watched Torch Singer, a 1933 Claudette Colbert vehicle and one of her last pre-code films. A racy tale involving premarital sex and pregnancy, the titular character is forced through circumstance to give up her baby for adoption. Later she becomes a famous lounge singer, and accidentally ironically falls into a job as a radio personality for children as well. This leads to much melodrama and a typical happy ending, but Colbert is terrific as always.