Randolph Scott - Tribute

RedRiver

Re: Randolph Scott - Tribute

Post by RedRiver »

I borrowed a Scott western yesterday. Haven't watched it yet. RAGE AT DAWN? Rage at something! Any fans? (I should have reviewed this thread before posting!)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

RAGE AT DAWN is the title. Having gone back I'm a little surprised that it isn't even mentioned in this thread.

I'm at a point where I have lost track of the differences between the pre-1956 westerns of Scott. They generally are all entertaining. Not at all deep but just straight forward Saturday afternoon fun. Some are better than others. Even reviewing it at imdb doesn't bring back a flood of memories. Don't let that stop you though.

Than only one I really had a problem with was "THE STRANGER WORE A GUN." That was as much for the laughable 3D shots in the film as any weak part of the story. Claire Trevor costars there.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

TEN WANTED MEN costars Scott along with Richard Boone and Skip Homeirer. Scott plays a successful rancher who has his brother and nephew out to help establish some law and order in the legal system. The problem is Richard Boone figures that is going to interfere with his plans to make a lot of money. Boone hires the ten men to get after Scott and his family.

Trouble starts right off when Homeirer gets off of the stage at a welcome party and immediately hits on a young Mexican girl that also happens to consume Boone's life. His jealously and growing hatred for the family drive him to want to take over the town. He hires this group of men with Leo Gordon, Denver Pyle and Lee van Cleef heading it up to make trouble. Things don't go as planned and it more becomes a personal vendetta between Scott and Boone.

Boone, as villain, while doing a good job of being the bad guy lacks any real finesse in the character. He is a brute and a liar. It is easy to want to compare his character (and performance) to "The Tall T" but it is a different movie so it is pointless to do so.

The climax of the picture is a long gunfight between the main parties. It is pretty exciting and well done. A couple of technical things are a distraction and not all the performances are up to par. All in all it is a typical Scott effort and one where I think the viewer would enjoy it but it may not be long for one's memory.

Courtesy of Me-TV.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Great title!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If anyone is interested there is a blog-a-than about Randolph Scott going on over at "50 Westerns From The 50's."

https://fiftieswesterns.wordpress.com/
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Going back almost 13 years now I am surprised the "Hangman's Knot" is mentioned only in passing. Our Man of the Thread stars with Donna Reed, Lee Marvin, Claude Jarman, Jr., and Ray Teal. A band of Confederate soldiers attacks an Army gold shipment and find out at the end of it that the war was over three weeks before. A group is after them for the "crime." Scott and his group make it to a stagecoach station with Reed caught up in their attempt at escape.

In the house now is the drama over how to handle the gold, the men who are after them, and their escape. Reed is an Army nurse who has to treat some of the victims. They try to make good with the people caught up in their mess and show they aren't as evil as seemed. Eventually comes the splits in the group and their attempted escape.

A better early Scott western from 1952 carries good drama, an appropriately fiendish Marvin, and the lovely Reed for good measure. Even though it is mostly set in a house it doesn't feel all that claustrophobic. Good action, especially the fight with Marvin and Scott (unfortunately marred by all too obvious stand ins) highlights the film. Fine performances from everyone involved.

One scene where Marvin would like to get to know Reed a little better, against her will, really shows off Marvin's gift for being a bad guy.

Well done.
Chris

Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Hangman’s Knot is one of my top ten westernS. Great cast and solid plot.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

This July The Criterion Collection will release The Ranown Westerns: Five Films Directed by Budd Boetticher. This boxed set of 4K and Blu-ray discs will offer the following quintet of westerns starring Randolph Scott, directed by Budd Boetticher, and produced by Harry Joe Brown (who, together with Scott, formed the production company Ranown):

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »