The Q & A with J.R. Jones about THE LIVES OF ROBERT RYAN

Past chats with our guests.

Moderators: moira finnie, Lzcutter, Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957

oscotto
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Q & A with J.R. Jones about THE LIVES OF ROBERT RYAN

Postby oscotto » July 10th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Greetings J.R., I'm so pleased that you are covering the legacy of my favorite actor, Robert Ryan. His intelligence shines through every role I've seen him in. My personal favorite is Miss Lonelyhearts (1959). His disillusioned William Shrike was riveting to watch on screen. He was amazingly perverse in his ability to needle the other characters. Did he ever offer a back story about what it was like to work on this project? So many of the roles he took on seemed to be the opposite of the kind of man he really was. Thanks, Scott

J.R. Jones
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby J.R. Jones » July 10th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Last edited by J.R. Jones on July 11th, 2015, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.R. Jones

Postby J.R. Jones » July 10th, 2015, 6:15 pm

oscotto

Postby oscotto » July 10th, 2015, 7:07 pm

J.R. Loy mentioned in her autobiography that she liked working with Ryan and that their scenes together offered her an unusually meaty assignment. She also talked about the tormented Clift. I read Miss Lonelyhearts and it is indeed "watered down" on screen. Nonetheless, I find Ryan's performance fascinating to watch. Thanks for your reply.

J.R. Jones

Postby J.R. Jones » July 10th, 2015, 7:13 pm

J.R. Jones

Postby J.R. Jones » July 10th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Last edited by J.R. Jones on July 10th, 2015, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.R. Jones

Postby J.R. Jones » July 10th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Rita Hayworth

Postby Rita Hayworth » July 10th, 2015, 8:53 pm

Mr. Jones,

Thanks for these candid remarks that you shared about ROBERT RYAN in these 3 War Films that I remembered so well.

On the KINGS OF KINGS - I didn't expect the answer that you've gave me here and furthermore - I learned something new about his involvement in this film back in 1962. And, I was surprised to see that you shared that he was paid $50,000 for a week's work.

Great Answers and thanks for answering them in a timely manner.

Have a great weekend with us and unfortunately I have to be out of town for the weekend and be back home on Monday. Thanks again Mr. Jones.

J.R. Jones

Postby J.R. Jones » July 11th, 2015, 7:41 am

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » July 11th, 2015, 10:47 am

Happy (Belated) Birthday, J.R. and thanks for returning today.

One interesting nuance that you brought out in your book was Ryan's ability to maintain working and personal ties with people in Hollywood, despite the sometomes cutthroat nature of the social atmosphere there and particularly the ideological differences among people during the McCarthy and Cold War eras.

Could you please discuss his interactions with co-stars John Wayne, Pat O'Brien and eccentric RKO chief Howard Hughes, each of whom were to varying degrees opposed to his humane liberalism?

Also, Robert Ryan's own values politically appear to have grown over time without becoming doctrinaire or rigid. How deeply influenced was R.R.'s political evolution by the Quakerism of his wife, writer-actress Jessica Cadwalader?

One of the saddest portions of your book touches on Mrs. Ryan's feelings at Hollywood social gatherings, when she and other wives of prominent men were almost invisible. Given the actor's sensitivity, did his awareness of her difficulties there lead him to evaluate his career differently?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Postby Sue Sue Applegate » July 11th, 2015, 10:52 am

Happy Belated Birthday and thank you so much for these fabulous responses, Mr. Jones. We enjoy Robert Ryan's work so much here at the SSO.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2020
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor

pvitari

Postby pvitari » July 11th, 2015, 11:47 am

Dear Mr. Jones, thank you so much for coming to the Silver Screen Oasis. Robert Ryan is one of my all-time favorite actors and I was so thrilled when I read advance notice that your new biography was coming out.

As a musical theater fan, it's great to know that Ryan also loved musical theater and if only Mr. President had been a success! I read a quote from his co-star Nanette Fabray that said Ryan was wonderful in all the dramatic parts of the show but he had trouble with comedy. Looking through his filmography, I can't find any comedy -- am I missing anything? How do you think he might have done in a romantic comedy, if it had had a good script?

I enjoyed your comments about Ryan and war pictures, but there's another war picture that must be mentioned, Anthony Mann's Men In War. You devote several pages to this film in your book but if there is anything you could add about Ryan and his feelings about this particular depiction of war, and his relationship with Anthony Mann (who also directed him in The Naked Spur), I would really appreciate it.

Thank you again!

J.R. Jones

Postby J.R. Jones » July 11th, 2015, 12:19 pm

J.R. Jones

Postby J.R. Jones » July 11th, 2015, 12:54 pm

Last edited by J.R. Jones on July 11th, 2015, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.R. Jones

Postby J.R. Jones » July 11th, 2015, 1:15 pm

Return to “Archived Guest Stars”