WARREN HYMER 110

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
WarrenHymersMoll

WARREN HYMER 110

Post by WarrenHymersMoll »

The great character actor Warren Hymer was born on this day in 1906. Warren was born into a theatrical family (his mother Eleanor was an actress and his father John B. was an actor and playwright who penned one of the biggest Broadway hits, East is West in 1918 that eventually led to two filmed adaptations). Warren attended Yale University (Class of 1928) and was schooled in drama by the renowned acting and play-writing teacher George Pierce Baker. He appeared in several Yale drama productions, toured the United Kingdom with his father's play Crime and acted on Broadway before getting signed to a film contract by Fox Studios in 1928. Warren's early film career had him playing serious and unsavory villains and sadly of his first 10 FOX films, 5 are completely missing and 2 only exist in a silent film format. Despite being a well-read and intelligent gentleman, Warren was soon pigeon-holed into a role he played perfectly, the dumb but lovable gangster/boxer/detective/sidekick in comedies and dramas. He was one of the most recognizable and prolific character actors, appearing in 129 films in 17 years before passing away only a month after his 42nd birthday.

Here's to Warren on his 110th!
JackFavell

Re: WARREN HYMER 110

Post by JackFavell »

Happy birthday, Warren!

Shiksa, thanks for the birthday tribute to Warren Hymer! My favorites are One Way Passage and Little Miss Marker, but he made every film he was in better.

Wendy M.
WarrenHymersMoll

Re: WARREN HYMER 110

Post by WarrenHymersMoll »

JackFavell wrote:Happy birthday, Warren!

Shiksa, thanks for the birthday tribute to Warren Hymer! My favorites are One Way Passage and Little Miss Marker, but he made every film he was in better.

Wendy M.
Hey Wendy!!

He sure did!! Some friends have told me they screened the classics for their older relatives and when they see Warren, they all immediately perk up like they're seeing an old friend. In addition to OWP and LMM, I love the early John Ford films he did (Ford loved him) and in most of the pre-codes he was able to bring more to the characters than was written in the script (and he used to write his own dialogue for most films). I hope to one day write a thoroughly researched biography about him cause he deserves it.