Guest Programmer Contest

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Kyle In Hollywood

Guest Programmer Contest

Post by Kyle In Hollywood »

OK, all you fans and fanatics who want to sit next to Robert Osborne.
The TCM website has finally uploaded the Guest Programmer Contest entry page.

You can find it here -
http://www.tcm.com/2007/GuestProgrammer/index.jsp

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
SSO Admins
Administrator

Re: Guest Programmer Contest

Post by SSO Admins »

Kyle In Hollywood wrote:OK, all you fans and fanatics who want to sit next to Robert Osborne.
The TCM website has finally uploaded the Guest Programmer Contest entry page.

You can find it here -
http://www.tcm.com/2007/GuestProgrammer/index.jsp

kjk
Wow they aren't giving us long, are they?
Kyle In Hollywood

Re: Guest Programmer Contest

jondaris -
Wow they aren't giving us long, are they?
So, does that mean you are planning on entering? I was hoping a few other folks were going to volunteer up their intentions about entering the contest.

It is a rather "odd" audition process. Entrants are asked to tell in 3 minutes why they want to be a Guest Programmer yet, because the general public will vote on the final five entrants' tapes, creativity in the presentation will be very valuable in attracting "votes".

I can see someone doing a "take-off" on the Apple "1984" commercial, just as someone did recently about candidates running for President, and the "presentation" overwhelms the "content" of whether this person is an interesting choice for Guest Programmer.

Of course, lzcutter and I were thinking of submitting an audition tape that was a take-off on the "Hollywood Hideaways" promos done by Ben Mankiewicz and Tom Brown in their red convertible where we are deinied entry into the places they visited because the previous "TCM visitors" (Ben & Tom) were so ill-behaved that we are barred from filming in those spots today. (And they were poor tippers, to boot.)

If I lived in NYC, I might put together a tape that was a "take-off" on Robert Osborne's Guest Programmer promo ("I walk the streets of this city...") where the entrant is seen in some of those same locales, carrying his/her audition tape, searching frantically for Robert Osborne who is supposedly looking for a Guest Programmer.

If I was going to program an evening of comedies, I'd find a way to get a cream pie thrown in my face and then get it washed off with the spray from a seltzer bottle. And maybe slip on a banana peel.

It might be fun to do an homage to a Robert Benchley short - or a Pete Smith Specialty - about the trials and tribulations of preparing the audition tape to submit to TCM.

That is some musings on what may make interesting audition tapes and, therefore, attractive "candidates" to vote for in the contest but may not lead to choosing the best candidate as a Guest Programmer.

kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Kyle,
These ideas are fantastic! I especially like the parody of Robert Osborne's "I walk the streets of this city..." YOU must enter this contest, pronto! And before someone else borrows your ideas.
Moraldo Rubini

"I'm ready for my Close-up, Mr. Kyle"

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Kyle, those are excellent ideas! You should be directing these. You should audition the applicants and then make the tapes yourself.

I'm trying to imagine which posters I'd like to see in the role. VecchioLarry could entertain with his personal anecdotes; Cinesage is succinct and has great knowledge to impart (and could correct Robert Osborne's mispronunciations); that guy who is Keenan Wynn's son would be interesting too, if they screen a movie featuring one of his family members...
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

RE:

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I thought if I decided to enter, I could do my impressions of Doris Day singing "Que Sera, Sera" or "Once I Had Secret Love," Katherine Hepburn and John Wayne in a scene from Rooster Cogburn (EOOWWW Ruben, yewah sooooh charmin' when yah full of corn squeezins), Marlene Dietrich singing "Fawwing in Wove Again," Ingrid Bergman in Saratoga Trunk , Tina Louise as Ginger talking to the Puhfessuh, Marilyn Monroe singing Happy Buthday, Owl Jolson from I Love to Singa, and Yogi Bear. But, then again, I think people would laugh at me.

Everybody else's ideas sound Tony the Tiger GGGRRREEEEAAAAAATTTT!!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Kyle In Hollywood

To Finnie & Rubini -

Thanks for the compliments. I am, as always, flattered anyone finds my flights of fancy amusing - especially coming from the likes of the two of you.

I hope some entrants film their auditions in B&W. But I would also be quite impressed if someone creatively inserted a re-enactment of the transition from B&W to color as in The Wizard Of Oz in their entry.

I'm having trouble getting the PDF file that contains all the rules and regulations to load on my antique PC so I haven't read all the minutia regarding eligibility, etc. That opening Flash file really taxes my system. But, for me, the time frame available to prepare and submit the tape/video is too narrow for me. I'd need a month off to get it just right. And that just isnt possible.

But, as potential voters, let me ask - would you vote for an audition video that was interesting in its presentaion over a video that was more personal about the auditioner and the films they wished to present? Just curious what criteria folks around here would judge the entry of a person being given the enviable honor of being a Guest Programmer on TCM.

Personally, I plan on voting for a person that presents the case of being most deserving to win such an extraordinary "prize". And for me, that doesn't necessarily mean a technically-accomplished film school student with an entertaining audition video will earn the honor to sit in that chair.

Anyone plannig to enter is free to use anything I have posted as potential ideas for their audition concepts. And I could probably come up with a few more, if asked.
Kyle In Hollywood
Moraldo Rubini

Campaign Trail

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Kyle,

Are you considering entering? I think it'd be swell to have you as a guest programmer! We'd all be beaming with pride...

I guess my criterion would be evidence that the applicant "knows their stuff". If their role will be akin to Carrie Fisher's, where they'll be sitting on a couch and talking about their favorite movies; I'd be more interested in their comments than their aesthetics. I'd vote for a raconteur over a master of montage. But anyone who would make something like the suggestions that you've given would surely have a good background in movies and TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I think one of the things important for anyone who might be thinking of entering is to be enthusiastic. Know what two or four films you would want to show and why.

It's probably less about the film history facts and more about why movies are important to you. It's less about being able to sit next to Robert O (no matter how delightful that would be) and more about the opportunity to share your love of classic films with Robert O and the TCM viewers.

We sometimes get caught up in all the shows and mingle aspects of The Essentials, Private Screenings and Guest Programming into one.

It's important to remember what those differences are and concentrate on the premise of Guest Programmer when preparing your audition tape so that in those three minutes you can be as effective, creative and charming as possible.

I would hope that the winners will be chosen more for their love of films than their prowess with a camera or editing skills.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Moraldo Rubini

Cynical Cinema?

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Do you think the Guest "Programmer" will actually get to program the evening? I always assumed that TCMProgrammer actually programmed the films. Then they'd ask the guest, "so how would you feel about doing these?". If we actually get to program the evening, that sheds a whole new light on it! My criteria for voting would also be trying to figure out what the contestants would want to see. If the video from Contestant A is a three-minute homage to Visconti, and Contestant B is a tribute to the Ritz Brothers; "A" will get my vote.

Also, to be able to program an evening makes the whole contest more enticing! I'd love to program the night, but would dread being on the camera side of the action. Maybe I could have a stand-in? Body double?
Kyle In Hollywood

Re: Cynical Cinema?

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Also, to be able to program an evening makes the whole contest more enticing! I'd love to program the night, but would dread being on the camera side of the action. Maybe I could have a stand-in? Body double?
Mr. Rubini -
While sitting next to Robert Osborne may be reward enough for some people, I am definitely of the opinion that the "Guest" is going to be choosing the films - provided they are available and, perhaps, that the films haven't been chosen by someone else that month. Remember, every evening in November is being turned over to a Guest Programmer so I bet there may have to be some negotiation over certain titles. But last month when David Mamet was the Guest Programmer, I am sure all the films were of his choosing. He even wrote the "Spotlight" article about the films for the TCM website.

I tell you what, Mr. Rubini. I'll sit in the chair and move my lips while you sit off camera speaking about Visconti, DeSica, Rossellini, Ricearoni, et.al.. As long as you stick to the Italians, I think I can get through it. But throw in a Russian and the deal is off.

And as to your hypothetical, I'd vote for the Ritz Brothers homage if only because it would have to be done so well as not to have confused me that is a Three Stooges homage.

kjk
ps -Are you planning a Vertigo concept or a Detective Story concept, Mr. Bay Area?
Kyle In Hollywood
Kyle In Hollywood

Re: RE:

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:I thought if I decided to enter, I could do my impressions of Doris Day...
[snip]
...Owl Jolson from I Love to Singa, and Yogi Bear. But, then again, I think people would laugh at me.
I thought it was "Sue Sue". Or is it "Boo Boo"?

(I had a feeling saving this image to my hard drive would come in handy some day.)
kjk
Kyle In Hollywood
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

RE:

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Hey, BOO BOO, Let's gototheParkandgetaPICNICBASSSKETTT!!!!!!
(My best online impression...)
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
bobhopefan1940

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

I think it would awesome to have a poster from this site (or the other ;) ) as a guest programmer, I think you are all worthy... Plus, it would be interesting to finally put a face on one of your posts. I this Guest Programmer gets to pick the films for that night - Maybe if one of you wins, you'll poll your favorite movies and pick the highest voted. :D
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
Moraldo Rubini

Scotty & Midge

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Kyle said:
ps -Are you planning a Vertigo concept or a Detective Story concept, Mr. Bay Area?
A Vertigo piece would be swell, wouldn't it? I could go to the grave of Carlotta Valdez, buy a nosegay at Podesta Baldacchi, gaze at Ms. Valdez' portrait and then race up the stairs of the campanile only to find Robert Osborne (dressed as a nun) at the precipice!