Linking to URLs and Adding Images

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
EP Millstone

Linking to URLs and Adding Images

Post by EP Millstone »

Greetings, SSO Architects, Administrators, and Moderators,

I'm a migrant from the (soon to be defunct) TCM Message Boards.

On those boards, members have the ability to wrap text in a link. On the SSO, it seems that ability is not possible; I can only insert the URL (then I add a title or description above the URL). For example, to link to Turner Classic Movies, I can only paste https://www.tcm.com/ in a message. I would like to be able to wrap "Turner Classic Movies" in the URL.

Is that capability not possible with phpbb Forum Software?

Adding Images in Messages

Here is the SSO code of conduct about posting images in messages (circa 2014):
Images You should only post inline images that are housed on web space that you own or for which you have explicit permission for use from the web master of the site on which the image is located. This is required in order to avoid costly bandwidth theft to the originating site owner. If you do not own the web space where the image is posted, please post a link rather than ‘hotlinking’ the image itself. The BBS provides image hosting for members to use at http://plasticage.net/gallery.

Also, when posting images, please make every effort to reduce images to a size that will be conducive to swift web page loading. If you post images you don't have the right to, or if they are too large, the moderator may replace the actual image with a link.

If you persist in posting images contrary to the protocol described above, a moderator may decide to give you a warning.
The Plasticage site appears to be kaput.

I'm an old "hotlinker" from waaaaay back. :wink: Indeed, on the TCM Message Boards, hotlinking was preferred by the moderators, because of the limited space on the host server (Invision Community).

How strongly is the SSO rule enforced?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Masha

Re: Linking to URLs and Adding Images

Post by Masha »

I was taught to never hotlink except from sites which explicitly allow and expect it. The reason goes beyond the consideration of common decency and the expense it adds to sites: it is possible for a site which experiences a drain by unauthorized hotlinks to change the image's url for their site and create a distinctly NSFW image with the old url. This means that hotlinkers can face considerable repercussions for posting inappropriate images to family-oriented sites.

We use Imgur.com for images which we wish to post in forums. It is a simple matter to right-click an image to save it to file and then move that file to our Imgur account. A nice feature is that it is quite easy to resize or crop the image to make it more suitable for posting.

Imgur.com is a free image hosting site at: https://imgur.com/ An added benefit is that it allows sharing images you select with the community. The comments section is often a blast! :D
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I use Imgur as well.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: October 24th, 2022, 12:26 am Imgur.com is a free image hosting site at: https://imgur.com/ An added benefit is that it allows sharing images you select with the community. The comments section is often a blast! :D
Thanks for the suggestion! I shall check out Imgur.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I cannot figure out how to include images or YouTube video clips. Any simple tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cuthbert
(aka Swithin)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: October 24th, 2022, 8:28 pm I cannot figure out how to include images or YouTube video clips. Any simple tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cuthbert
(aka Swithin)
Cuthbert,

I responded to your first request for assistance in the Classic Movie Soundtracks topic.
Last edited by EP Millstone on November 29th, 2022, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Thanks EP, I had tried that unsuccessfully earlier, but under your tutelage, it worked a treat!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: October 25th, 2022, 7:41 am Thanks EP, I had tried that unsuccessfully earlier, but under your tutelage, it worked a treat!
Cuthbert,

You're welcome.

Seems to me that the Media Embed tool is superfluous. Just pasting the URL of a video clip inserts a video. I don't get the reason for the tool.

Anyway, besides the methods for inserting pictures and videos in messages that I provided, you can also paste a URL in your message, select it (either double-click the URL or drag your mouse cursor across it to highlight it), then click the Insert image tool or Media Embed tool to wrap the URL inside the formatting code.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Pasting the url didn't always work with these boards, so the legacy tools were necessary. I would imagine future versions of the software will slowly remove things like that. I'm glad that everything got sorted out here!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: October 26th, 2022, 7:33 am Pasting the url didn't always work with these boards, so the legacy tools were necessary. I would imagine future versions of the software will slowly remove things like that. I'm glad that everything got sorted out here!
Thank you for the explanation, Lomm.

I suspected as much (that Insert image was a legacy tool).

According to the phpbb 3.0 Olympus Documentation Administration Guide, thumbnails of images can be created. Am I correct in presuming that is what the Thumb tool is used for?
Last edited by EP Millstone on November 29th, 2022, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Yes basically correct. The thumb tag is to reduce the size of a posted image shared on the board, so that it doesn't make the window too "wide" and cause side scrolling with larger images. I don't believe it allows tiny thumbnail images (like a gallery) as it sounds you are suggesting though.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

See my request in the Cross Reference topic.
Last edited by EP Millstone on November 29th, 2022, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Sure EP, will try to get this to work. I agree it's better, even though it's not considered "standard". Why should we have to go back and forth when viewing links?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: November 28th, 2022, 10:22 am Sure EP, will try to get this to work. I agree it's better, even though it's not considered "standard". Why should we have to go back and forth when viewing links?
Lomm,

I agree! And thank you!
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: November 28th, 2022, 3:04 pm
Lomm wrote: November 28th, 2022, 10:22 am Sure EP, will try to get this to work. I agree it's better, even though it's not considered "standard". Why should we have to go back and forth when viewing links?
Lomm,

I agree! And thank you!
Mr Millstone, can you help, you seem to have technical command in the site.

How to put that quote at the bottom.

And how to find the field where you explain the avatar?

thanks.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country