North by Northwest -- Spy Thriller

GaryCooper

North by Northwest -- Spy Thriller

Post by GaryCooper »

Eva Marie Saint never looked better.
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
Cinemaspeak59

Re: North by Northwest -- Spy Thriller

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

North by Northwest is perhaps the most fun Hitchcock film, as well as the most fashionable. I loved the hotel lobby and dining room, and that train was wonderful.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cinemaspeak59 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 2:28 pm North by Northwest is perhaps the most fun Hitchcock film, as well as the most fashionable. I loved the hotel lobby and dining room, and that train was wonderful.
It is fashionable. It is another on screen appearance of the Cartier Tank. Grant wears one throughout the film.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Probably my second favorite Grant picture with Mr. Blandings being number one, but it is close.
As for the train, it was probably a studio set except where they were walking away from the train at the station. Most trains are actually not as wide as Hollywood presented them. I believe Murder on the Orient Express (1974) was only one to use sets actually made in railroad dimensions, particularly in the bedrooms/compartments.
If you have ever ridden in a passenger train, especially a compartment or bedroom, you know what I mean. Great movie though.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
BrianNH2OK

Post by BrianNH2OK »

This is one I like to watch over and over for all reasons mentioned so far. I think I've got a clump of Cary Grant movies all vying for the top spot, so NBN is certainly in the running. Hitchcock keeps everything going at a brisk pace, and you never really lose the storyline throughout -- as I think sometimes happens in lesser efforts.

I do like the Hollywood-ized train. It's been many years since I've ridden Amtrak, but I did travel by train once from Providence, RI to Chicago -- with a three hour stopover in the Albany railyard at about 3:00 a.m. And the conductor finally had to admonish the guy sitting next to me for cursing too often and too loudly. So I like to watch "North by Northwest" and think how things might have been.