Cross Reference

Having problems? Get help here.
EP Millstone

Re: Cross Reference

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: November 28th, 2022, 4:21 pm If you use bbcode to put in a link (URL=) it will also open in a new window without any modifications too. However, I have installed an extension that should work. Testing here:

https://www.amazon.com/
Lomm,

Your installation works! Thank you!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Great, happy to help!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm,

Is there a way to get internal links (links to another SSO page) to open in a new tab or window?

I searched the How to make the hyperlink launch in a new tab or window topic in the phpBB Community for a method. I tried the [newwindow] code, but it does not seem to work in the SSO.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

There is a way to do this...but it would make it so everything always opens in a new window/tab, and that's not really a behavior that I'd like.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:02 am There is a way to do this...but it would make it so everything always opens in a new window/tab, and that's not really a behavior that I'd like.
Why would having everything always opening in a new window/tab be a problem?

Now when someone clicks an internal link to another SSO topic, he/she is transported away from the home topic, and then must backtrack to the home topic.

If having everything open is not preferable, please tell me more about (URL= ), which you mentioned in the Cross Reference topic. I'm looking for the BBCode equivalent of target=_blank.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

EP Millstone wrote: November 30th, 2022, 11:13 am
Lomm wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:02 am There is a way to do this...but it would make it so everything always opens in a new window/tab, and that's not really a behavior that I'd like.
Why would having everything always opening in a new window/tab be a problem?

Now when someone clicks an internal link to another SSO topic, he/she is transported away from the home topic, and then must backtrack to the home topic.

If having everything open is not preferable, please tell me more about (URL= ), which you mentioned in the Cross Reference topic. I'm looking for the BBCode equivalent of target=_blank.
I've spent quite a bit of time researching this now, and I don't really have a great solution. I tried implementing that "newwindow" BBCode you linked to earlier, but it requires manual futzing around with what you type in; it doesn't just allow you to highlight the URL and then click the button to activate. You have to type in a bracket, type in the text, then submit. It's not something I'd think anyone would want to hassle with.

The only solution I found to make ALL links open in a new tab/window was a post from about 13 years ago, which was so many versions old that I don't have confidence it will work. The reason they make this so challenging is because it "violates" web standards. Now, I don't care much about that, and you probably don't either...but it does make this very difficult to pull off. I will keep an eye out for something, but for the time being I think the other sites in a new tab is as far as we're getting here.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

I've spent quite a bit of time researching this now, and I don't really have a great solution. I tried implementing that "newwindow" BBCode you linked to earlier, but it requires manual futzing around with what you type in; it doesn't just allow you to highlight the URL and then click the button to activate. You have to type in a bracket, type in the text, then submit. It's not something I'd think anyone would want to hassle with.

The only solution I found to make ALL links open in a new tab/window was a post from about 13 years ago, which was so many versions old that I don't have confidence it will work. The reason they make this so challenging is because it "violates" web standards. Now, I don't care much about that, and you probably don't either...but it does make this very difficult to pull off. I will keep an eye out for something, but for the time being I think the other sites in a new tab is as far as we're getting here.
Lomm,

Thank you for your effort and for the explanation.

I've gotten spoiled by The TCM Message Boards, which offer the type of functionality that I am requesting. I also notice that Yahoo! stories have links that open in a new tab or window. So I'm puzzled about Web standards being "violated."

Again, thank you for your response, time, and support. I shall continue investigating the matter and try to find a solution. Should I find one, I shall share it.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Many sites do so. It's even possible that I could force this forum to do so, if I had a greater knowledge of such things. Alas, I am just a part-time volunteer site admin with a full-time job that doesn't have anything to do with web code, javascript, and the like, so I can only do my best. :)

For what it's worth, here is the reasoning from the source: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/G200.html

All that said, if I DO come across something simple like the extension that allows external links to open in a new tab, I will certainly utilize it!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: November 30th, 2022, 3:25 pm Many sites do so. It's even possible that I could force this forum to do so, if I had a greater knowledge of such things. Alas, I am just a part-time volunteer site admin with a full-time job that doesn't have anything to do with web code, javascript, and the like, so I can only do my best. :)
. . . and I, for one (and I know that I'm not the only one), greatly appreciate your best!
Lomm wrote: November 30th, 2022, 3:25 pm
For what it's worth, here is the reasoning from the source: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/G200.html
Thank you for that link!

Regarding this 2016 reasoning by the World Wide Web Consortium (WC3) . . .
The objective of this technique is to limit the use of links or buttons that open new windows or tabs within Web content. In general, it is better not to open new windows and tabs since they can be disorienting for people, especially people who have difficulty perceiving visual content.
. . . I'd argue that it's "six of one, half a dozen of another" that whisking people from one page to another page is less disorienting than having new windows or tabs open.
All that said, if I DO come across something simple like the extension that allows external links to open in a new tab, I will certainly utilize it!
For all you do: THANK YOU!