This week on SVENGOOLIE...

RedRiver

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by RedRiver »

Tonight's feature will be William Castle's chilling NIGHT WALKER; its first time on Svengoolie's program. Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Taylor pull out the stops in this surprise filled heart stopper, one of the director's best. If you're among the uninitiated, DO NOT miss this classic melodrama!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I've never seen this. Thanks for the heads up, Red.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Next week is the delightfully silly MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS. Fun!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I'm with ya, R.R. MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS gets such a bad rap but I confess it's one of my favorite U-I sci-fi's. Might even have featured John Agar in the role of the professor-turned-neanderthal had Agar re-signed his Universal contract.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I retract my statement that MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS is silly. This is a fine, Jack Arnold B feature. Played with intelligence (give or take) and drama. The monster, once he finally appears, is terrifying. The fact that we don't see him for over an hour is even better. Suspense, not shock. As most of you know, Mr. Arnold is the "no budget" craftsman responsible for TARANTULA, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, a couple of Black Lagoon entries, THE TATTERED DRESS. And isn't there one about a guy who gets really small? Laugh all you want at the melodramatic hysterics. This is a filmmaker to reckon with.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If anyone's in the mood, Svengoolie is showing FRANKENSTEIN tonight. We've all seen it many times. Not much to say about this exceptional work that hasn't been said already. But there's not a more perfect choice for Halloween on a Saturday night! Surely, somebody, somewhere, will enjoy this classic.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:If anyone's in the mood, Svengoolie is showing FRANKENSTEIN tonight. We've all seen it many times. Not much to say about this exceptional work that hasn't been said already. But there's not a more perfect choice for Halloween on a Saturday night! Surely, somebody, somewhere, will enjoy this classic.

I've DVR it!; and just watched it and I've enjoyed it very much ... looking forward seeing TARANTULA this Saturday Night!

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, no. Poor Leo G. Carroll is doomed...but I will probably watch Tarantula (1955) once again...hoping for a different ending.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Delightful Jack Arnold camp classic! Poor Mr. Waverly!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

It's Creature from the Black Lagoon this Saturday and I'm going to pass it up because I'm pretty much tired of it.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This weekend on Svengoolie...

Count Yorga, Vampire (1970)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

LiamCasey wrote: October 28th, 2022, 3:49 pm This weekend on Svengoolie...

Now that’s a lackluster choice for Halloween. They should have aired it last week and aired Bride of Frankenstein this week imo.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LostHorizons wrote: October 28th, 2022, 4:31 pm
LiamCasey wrote: October 28th, 2022, 3:49 pm This weekend on Svengoolie...

Now that’s a lackluster choice for Halloween. They should have aired it last week and aired Bride of Frankenstein this week imo.
I disagree!

IMO, Count Yorga and its sequel The Return of Count Yorga are both refreshing entries in the Vampire Movie subgenre. Writer and director Bob Kelljan splendidly blended humor and horror with an offbeat Sixties/Early Seventies Southern California counterculture vibe. His star, suave Robert Quarry, delivered Kelljan's wry dialogue with a blasé sang-froid that belies Yorga's terrifying bestiality. For me, both chillers have real bite!

Count Yorga fans will be thrilled and delighted by limited, deluxe Blu-ray Discs edition of The Count Yorga Collection, recently issued by Arrow Films. Worth sinking one's teeth into, say I!

Last edited by EP Millstone on November 29th, 2022, 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This weekend on Svengoolie...

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

And for those who like to plan ahead...

11/12: X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963) w/ Ray Milland, Harold J. Stone, John Hoyt and Don Rickles

11/19: Fiend Without a Face (1958) w/ Marshall Thompson and Terry Kilburn

11/26: The Crawling Eye (1958) w/ Forrest Tucker
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

On Svengoolie tomorrow, December 3, 2022:

The Raven (1935)