JOAN BENNETT FOR SOTM THIS CENTURY

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

JOAN BENNETT FOR SOTM THIS CENTURY

Post by Hibi »

Joan is getting ready to move to her new home!
EP Millstone

Re: JOAN BENNETT FOR SOTM THIS CENTURY

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: November 9th, 2022, 2:55 pm Joan is getting ready to move to her new home!
... filled with dark shadows?

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

My favorite Joan Bennett movie is THE RECKLESS MOMENT. I first saw it on TCM. I don't think TCM airs it very frequently now.

Joan Bennett plays a mother being blackmailed over letters her daughter had written to her (the daughter's) dead lover. Joan Bennett's character mistakenly believes that her child has committed murder or manslaughter, and a strange bond develops between the mother and the blackmailer played by James Mason. His character starts out blackmailing Joan Bennett's character, but he comes to genuinely care for her. Both Mason and Bennett are wonderful in portraying the characters' complex relationship.

One aspect of the movie that really pulled me in the first time I saw it was how real Joan Bennett's reactions were ---not the melodramatics we often see in this "woman in distress" type of movie from that era. And the ending always gets me. Joan Bennett is so masterful in the final scene at conveying feeling that is in sharp contrast to the words she is saying.

LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

EP Millstone wrote: November 9th, 2022, 7:32 pm
Hibi wrote: November 9th, 2022, 2:55 pm Joan is getting ready to move to her new home!
... filled with dark shadows?

Joan Bennett was "very pretty indeed."

https://www.tcm.com/video/1538366/suspi ... tty-indeed
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Joan is back!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

HoldenIsHere wrote: November 9th, 2022, 10:13 pm My favorite Joan Bennett movie is THE RECKLESS MOMENT. I first saw it on TCM. I don't think TCM airs it very frequently now.

Joan Bennett plays a mother being blackmailed over letters her daughter had written to her (the daughter's) dead lover. Joan Bennett's character mistakenly believes that her child has committed murder or manslaughter, and a strange bond develops between the mother and the blackmailer played by James Mason. His character starts out blackmailing Joan Bennett's character, but he comes to genuinely care for her. Both Mason and Bennett are wonderful in portraying the characters' complex relationship.

One aspect of the movie that really pulled me in the first time I saw it was how real Joan Bennett's reactions were ---not the melodramatics we often see in this "woman in distress" type of movie from that era. And the ending always gets me. Joan Bennett is so masterful in the final scene at conveying feeling that is in sharp contrast to the words she is saying.

Yes, I love this movie! It follows one of Hitchcock's favorite themes of an ordinary person whose life is thrown into chaos through no fault of their own and how they have to navigate their way through the turmoil and survive. Both Joan and Mason are so good in this. It's a shame TCM seldom shows this film. The remake was good too!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

It would be funny joke on Hibi if TCM was to schedule Joan Bennett as STOM "soon", after all those years of trying (with my help!), at the TCM forum and being ignored by the TCM programmers. But however it happens would be A-OK with us!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 11:30 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: November 9th, 2022, 10:13 pm My favorite Joan Bennett movie is THE RECKLESS MOMENT. I first saw it on TCM. I don't think TCM airs it very frequently now.

Yes, I love this movie! It follows one of Hitchcock's favorite themes of an ordinary person whose life is thrown into chaos through no fault of their own and how they have to navigate their way through the turmoil and survive. Both Joan and Mason are so good in this. It's a shame TCM seldom shows this film. The remake was good too!
I agree! Both THE RECKLESS MOMENT and THE DEEP END are very good. Both movies were adapted from Elisabeth Sanxay Holding's novel THE BLANK WALL.

Tilda Swinton plays the Joan Bennett role in THE DEEP END. Goran Visnjic plsys the James Mason role (the blackmailer).

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

For what it's worth, the Criterion Channel additions for January 2023 will include the Joan Bennett films Big Brown Eyes (Paramount, 1936) and Wild Girl (Fox, 1932) (both directed by Raoul Walsh). I'm particularly intrigued by WG--an early Fox film being made available in (more or less) broadcast quality?
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Wish I had that channel. If you watch either of them, get back with me!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hibi wrote: December 21st, 2022, 1:22 pm Wish I had that channel. If you watch either of them, get back with me!
$9.95/mo, available at their site.

FYI
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country