See Jayne Act: The Burglar (1957)

RedRiver

Re: See Jayne Act: The Burglar (1957)

Post by RedRiver »

Yet another reason to get my own computer. The library is closing in 30 minutes!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I hope you enjoy it, Red, when you see it. I think you will. \
In my opinion, it's Dan Duryea's finest hour.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

This is a film worth repeated viewings. It never got much love. Gritty and shabby, shot in a semi-documentary way at times, with a beat-up, worn-out looking cast (except for young, fresh Jayne); crooked losers that were running on empty to make a last score.

The European film The Burglars by Henri Verneuil with Belmondo has almost no connection and is not a remake but does credit the novel by Goodis.
Attachments
the burglar.jpg
the burglar.jpg (52.13 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Big fan of The Burglar; Duryea's best performance as the lead in a film. It was great to see Big Sleep actor Martha Vickers in the film. Her two main scenes (in the diner and back in her apartment), with Duryea are classic noir. I love when she slaps Dan.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I believe in David Goodis. He is the king of noir fiction, say what you want about Cornell Woolrich, Jim Thompson, and Patricia Highsmith, fine writers indeed, but Goodis has dialogue that’s said without sound. How noir is that?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

If I hadn't lost my appetite for fiction, I'd probably read David Goodis' crime stories.

Shooting Pool with David Goodis

David Goodis: Poet of the Losers

Stories by David Goodis

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
jamesjazzguitar

Thompson wrote: November 30th, 2022, 7:01 pm I believe in David Goodis. He is the king of noir fiction, say what you want about Cornell Woolrich, Jim Thompson, and Patricia Highsmith, fine writers indeed, but Goodis has dialogue that’s said without sound. How noir is that?
Goodis was one of the best at noir theme fiction. The Burglar is a good example.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 30th, 2022, 8:19 pm
Thompson wrote: November 30th, 2022, 7:01 pm I believe in David Goodis. He is the king of noir fiction, say what you want about Cornell Woolrich, Jim Thompson, and Patricia Highsmith, fine writers indeed, but Goodis has dialogue that’s said without sound. How noir is that?
Goodis was one of the best at noir theme fiction. The Burglar is a good example.
James, I don't want this to come off wrong, but you've got great legs!
Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: November 30th, 2022, 10:04 pm James, I don't want this to come off wrong, but you've got great legs!
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

One of us -- either jamesjazzguitar or I -- must undergo psychoanalysis. But until then . . .

What are you doing Saturday night, james?
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Okay then, this is the Place. Millstone, thanks for the Goodis links! However, like all of the stuff one reads nowadays, the grains of salt come into play. Goodis was not a drinker, he was not a smoker, and he wasn’t much of a pool player either. He died on the early side because a big brick fell on his head in Philadelphia. He didn’t die at the scene, but he croaked out a bit later. He was without vices, if anybody can believe that, except for pounding the typewriter.
jamesjazzguitar

EP Millstone wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:06 am
LawrenceA wrote: November 30th, 2022, 10:04 pm James, I don't want this to come off wrong, but you've got great legs!
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

One of us -- either jamesjazzguitar or I -- must undergo psychoanalysis. But until then . . .

What are you doing Saturday night, james?
I couldn't find the Cagney playing guitar photo I used at the TCM site so I used this photo of Martha Vickers since she is in The Burglar.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:12 pm I couldn't find the Cagney playing guitar photo I used at the TCM site so I used this photo of Martha Vickers since she is in The Burglar.
James,

Check it out!

Cagney on Guitar
jamesjazzguitar

EP Millstone wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:16 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:12 pm I couldn't find the Cagney playing guitar photo I used at the TCM site so I used this photo of Martha Vickers since she is in The Burglar.
James,

Check it out!

Cagney on Guitar
As you can now see, I'm back! Thanks for the link. Lot of Cagney photos playing guitar that I hadn't seen. (e.g. some with a Gibson L-5).
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Yeah man, who would have thunk it? James Cagney fretting up his guitar just like Keith Richards. Cool avatar, impossibly cool.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I had no idea he played guitar. You just never know do you? I gotta check him out .