Marion Davies on TCM

drednm

Marion Davies on TCM

Post by drednm »

Hi all. I've migrated from TCM and haven't posted on this board in quite a while. Anyway, here's some news.

Marion Davies is finally Star of the Month on TCM in January and will air three of my Kickstarter projects: BEAUTY'S WORTH, THE BRIDE'S PLAY, and LITTLE OLD NEW YORK as well as two of Ben Model's: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER and BEVERLY OF GRAUSTARK. Ben scored all 5 of these films.

My recent Kickstarter projects have included ZANDER THE GREAT (1925) with Marion Davies, STRAIGHT IS THE WAY (1921) with Matt Moore, THE APPLE TREE GIRL (1917) with Shirley Mason and two translation projects, OTHER MEN'S SHOES (1920) from the Dutch print with Crauford Kent and THE VALLEY OF THE GIANTS (1919) from the Russian print with Wallace Reid.

ZANDER will be screening at the Niles Film Museum in Fremont, CA on December 31, VALLEY is set to screen at the Autry Museum in Los Angeles on February 11. LITTLE OLD NEW YORK recently screened at the Vintage Film Festival in Canada and is on the slate for Kansas Silent Film Festival in February.

I authored THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES in 2017 and am working on a new book about Davies. I'll launch my 22nd Kickstarter project in January.
cmovieviewer

Re: Marion Davies on TCM

Post by cmovieviewer »

That sounds exciting and fascinating. Would you mind explaining a little bit about what your kickstarter projects entail?
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

drednm wrote: November 24th, 2022, 7:40 am Hi all. I've migrated from TCM and haven't posted on this board in quite a while. Anyway, here's some news.

Marion Davies is finally Star of the Month on TCM in January and will air three of my Kickstarter projects: BEAUTY'S WORTH, THE BRIDE'S PLAY, and LITTLE OLD NEW YORK as well as two of Ben Model's: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER and BEVERLY OF GRAUSTARK. Ben scored all 5 of these films.

My recent Kickstarter projects have included ZANDER THE GREAT (1925) with Marion Davies, STRAIGHT IS THE WAY (1921) with Matt Moore, THE APPLE TREE GIRL (1917) with Shirley Mason and two translation projects, OTHER MEN'S SHOES (1920) from the Dutch print with Crauford Kent and THE VALLEY OF THE GIANTS (1919) from the Russian print with Wallace Reid.

ZANDER will be screening at the Niles Film Museum in Fremont, CA on December 31, VALLEY is set to screen at the Autry Museum in Los Angeles on February 11. LITTLE OLD NEW YORK recently screened at the Vintage Film Festival in Canada and is on the slate for Kansas Silent Film Festival in February.

I authored THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES in 2017 and am working on a new book about Davies. I'll launch my 22nd Kickstarter project in January.
So I assume you're Edward. Anyhow, I look forward to seeing more Marion Davies films.
drednm

Post by drednm »

Yup that's me.

I'm probably done with Kickstarting Davies' films since most of the ones left have already been put on on disk or are tied up by other archives. I know Ben Model is planning one for 2024 and that'll be a goody. I'm working on a new Marion Davies book and will probably Kickstart three projects in 2023. Whether TCM buys them is another story. To date, they haven't bought Davies' ZANDER THE GREAT, which is quite a good film and a nicely tinted print.
drednm

Post by drednm »

Here's news on my 22nd Kickstarter project.

The Awakening of Ruth (1917) stars Shirley Mason (sister of Viola Dana) as an island wild child who goes to the big city to study music and must decide between two suitors. Filmed on the Maine coast.

http://kck.st/3Z0MDCu
Attachments
MV5BYjlkNjA3YzgtNmEwMC00MWExLWE5NDgtMzg2YjM4MWQxYWNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDczNjczOA@@._V1_.jpg
MV5BYjlkNjA3YzgtNmEwMC00MWExLWE5NDgtMzg2YjM4MWQxYWNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDczNjczOA@@._V1_.jpg (43.09 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Well, Drednm, I very much appreciate all your work. I've recorded every one of TCMs broadcasts of Marion Davies' films & enjoyed them immensely! I'm so glad you've brought these great films to our attention.
drednm

Post by drednm »

The salute starts tonight (after years of nagging the programming VP)....

When Knighthood Was in Flower, which Ben Model Kickstarted, is a magnificent historical drama, and my Little Old New York project is a fun romp with a dramatic twist. Two of the biggest hits of the silent era.

Thanks for the kind words!
jamesjazzguitar

drednm wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 8:40 am The salute starts tonight (after years of nagging the programming VP)....

When Knighthood Was in Flower, which Ben Model Kickstarted, is a magnificent historical drama, and my Little Old New York project is a fun romp with a dramatic twist. Two of the biggest hits of the silent era.

It is great to see Davies get her due. Thanks for helping make that happen.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I'm looking forward to seeing LITTLE OLD NEW YORK.

I enjoy Marion Davies's silent movies very much, but I don't really care for her talkies ---- but that's more about the material than about her.
jamesjazzguitar

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 2:29 pm I'm looking forward to seeing LITTLE OLD NEW YORK.

I enjoy Marion Davies's silent movies very much, but I don't really care for her talkies ---- but that's more about the material than about her.
I enjoy Davies's silent movies and many of her pre-code films, but some of the sparkle was missing due to Production code enforcement.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 2:29 pm I'm looking forward to seeing LITTLE OLD NEW YORK.

I was this many years old when I learned there was a silent era actor named Harrison Ford. :o Looks interesting.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

drednm wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 8:40 am The salute starts tonight (after years of nagging the programming VP)....

When Knighthood was in Flower was really good and had nice sets and costumes. You could tell the millions dollar budget went into all those nice linen gowns. It’s sad the film isn’t remembered that much considering all the effort put into the production and the high budget. Only thing I sort of disliked was the ending which kind of just copped out of a final duel with Francis which would have been a better ending. Instead Mary just says she will marry Brandon and the king is like “fine.”
Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »

I noticed at the end of the movies they gave details of the source material some came from 4k scans. I wonder if they'll ever be put on 4K?
drednm

Post by drednm »

When Knighthood Was in Flower and Beverly of Graustark are available on Blu-ray from Undercrank Productions, so I assume they are already sourced from 4K scans. Ben Model and I have discussed getting 4k scans for Beauty's Worth, The Bride's Play, and Little Old New York but not sure a Kickstarter would re-coup the costs ... just to get them on Blu-ray.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Marysara1 wrote: January 4th, 2023, 9:24 am I noticed at the end of the movies they gave details of the source material some came from 4k scans. I wonder if they'll ever be put on 4K?
What are you even asking? If they will put the 4K scans onto 4K? :/