Humorous Memes

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: Memes

Post by laffite »

What I want to post is a meme through and through ( a I mentioned ) ---If (as I say) I can find it. It was a magazine cover 10 or 15 years ago that I photographed with my own camera. I have many pics on my computer (as I imagine most do) and I still remain positive that it is there ... somewhere.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Masha

Post by Masha »

LiamCasey wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 6:36 pm This is where a reaction button comes in handy. I truly laughed out loud at this one. Especially at the end. Thanks!
It makes me happy that you enjoyed it. I must admit that it makes me smile no matter how many times I watch it.

I work on the assumption that all things I post are worthy of an upvote or LOL button. I do not need to see the tally as the difference between 'views' and 'likes' would merely point out how many users are humourless or so lazy that they can not bother to click an icon. I do not need that negativity in my life.

To provoke a reaction which causes some person to make a comment is the same as receiving a standing ovation rather than polite applause. It can not be expected most of the time but that is what makes it so very special when it happens.

Thank you.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:15 pm Just THIS one, Liam?!

Heck, even though I've previously seen some of the memes that Masha posted in this thread and back when she first posted them in TCM.com's "Funny Stuff" thread, I must admit almost every one of them here has made me LOL again.
I thank you for your kind words but must keep in mind that you are an easy mark. It is nice to know that you keep me around for some reason other than my pretty face.
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:31 pm
[...] Speaking of "Funny Stuff" I am pondering the difference between that term and "Meme."

I feel that: "Funny Stuff" includes jokes, memes, cartoons, links to Tweets and Facespace posts and my little Fuzzy. There is an established thread in this forum for jokes. Posting cartoons runs the risk of intellectual property complaints. Links to external social media are intrusive and least-effort postings and should be beneath us. I will not post images of Capuchin because I do not wish to scare children and small animals.

My personal wish for this thread is images with text which make people smile or think. Even I will at times go beyond this and post images which are nothing but pictures of text but only when I consider it effective humour or errant philosophy in its own right and conjures its own distinctive mental image.

YMMV
Masha

Post by Masha »

LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Dargo wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:15 pm
LiamCasey wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 6:36 pm
Masha wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 10:47 am Image
This is where a reaction button comes in handy. I truly laughed out loud at this one. Especially at the end. Thanks!
Just THIS one, Liam?!

Heck, even though I've previously seen some of the memes that Masha posted in this thread and back when she first posted them in TCM.com's "Funny Stuff" thread, I must admit almost every one of them here has made me LOL again.

(...guess what I'm really sayin' here is that, yes, I agree with you...it IS a shame that there are no reaction buttons around here, and which I suppose is something I'll just have to get used to)
Maybe I just have a weakness for toilet humor, my friend. Or is that toilet humour? :wink:
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Masha wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:13 am
LiamCasey wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 6:36 pm This is where a reaction button comes in handy. I truly laughed out loud at this one. Especially at the end. Thanks!
It makes me happy that you enjoyed it. I must admit that it makes me smile no matter how many times I watch it.

I work on the assumption that all things I post are worthy of an upvote or LOL button. I do not need to see the tally as the difference between 'views' and 'likes' would merely point out how many users are humourless or so lazy that they can not bother to click an icon. I do not need that negativity in my life.

To provoke a reaction which causes some person to make a comment is the same as receiving a standing ovation rather than polite applause. It can not be expected most of the time but that is what makes it so very special when it happens.

Thank you.
That is such a healthy attitude that I'm now glad that there are no reaction buttons. Thanks for sharing!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:16 am I thank you for your kind words but must keep in mind that you are an easy mark. It is nice to know that you keep me around for some reason other than my pretty face.
And yet another post by you which makes me lament about the lack of a "LOL" reaction button around here.

(...and yes, even though and as you rightly noted, I'm an easy mark) :wink:
Masha

Post by Masha »

LiamCasey wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:29 am
Maybe I just have a weakness for toilet humor, my friend. Or is that toilet humour? :wink:
I am sorry to say that my collection in that genre is quite thin.

Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:18 pm Image
With respect Dargo and also out of respect for remarks earlier by Masha, is this a meme? This seem a straight joke to me. It also has a copyright, shown at the bottom of the cartoon.

Not stirring up anything and not to make a correction, per se , just trying to make sense of what the imperative is in following the instruction attached to the thread.

Thank you, Dargo ; thank you, Masha ...

I respectfully crave guidance : - )

--laffite
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:50 pm
With respect Dargo and also out of respect for remarks earlier by Masha, is this a meme? This seem a straight joke to me. It also has a copyright, shown at the bottom of the cartoon.

Not stirring up anything and not to make a correction, per se , just trying to make sense of what the imperative is in following the instruction attached to the thread.

--laffite
True memes do not have copyrights.

The problem which I see is that the copyright holder might issue a takedown notice. That might not sound onerous because a moderator can remove it with ease but I believe that we should keep in mind that all the moderators, admins and IT are volunteers and they maintain this site as a legacy. They are not very involved on day-to-day basis because they migrated long ago to a page on: Facespace.

I can not speak for others or judge others on such matters but I would be horrified if any action of mine caused a moderator/admin/IT to decide that the work to keep the site legal is more than it is worth and pulls the plug. I have seen in other places at other times that a very minor matter was: "the straw that broke the camel's back" and had repercussions far exceeding the magnitude of the offense.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:13 pm
laffite wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:50 pm

--laffite
True memes do not have copyrights.

The problem which I see is that the copyright holder might issue a takedown notice. That might not sound onerous because a moderator can remove it with ease but I believe that we should keep in mind that all the moderators, admins and IT are volunteers and they maintain this site as a legacy. They are not very involved on day-to-day basis because they migrated long ago to a page on: Facespace.

I can not speak for others or judge others on such matters but I would be horrified if any action of mine caused a moderator/admin/IT to decide that the work to keep the site legal is more than it is worth and pulls the plug. I have seen in other places at other times that a very minor matter was: "the straw that broke the camel's back" and had repercussions far exceeding the magnitude of the offense.
Aaah! So then Masha, you're sayin' there ARE differences to be discerned and considered between your new thread here at SSO and with that of the old TCM boards "Funny Stuff" thread, eh?! And, with the primary issue to be discerned and considered in this case being any possible copyright infringment issues which could arise if someone posts a copyrighted cartoon such as I just have, eh?!

Thanks for the clarification here. And so in that case, I'll be more careful with what I post within your thread from now on.

(...STILL though, isn't that Santa cartoon funny as all hell?!) :wink: