TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
LostHorizons

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by LostHorizons »

Allhallowsday wrote: December 4th, 2022, 7:44 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:47 am
Cuthbert wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:36 am Bagel made an interesting comment as to why he would not frequent the other site. I responded more or less saying that we should give it a try, though it’s not best practice to have a site with only one moderator/administrator. Those comments have been deleted, which is cause for concern.
I was agreeing with him that Topbilled isn’t cut out for running a site and gave an example of him fighting with people over Burt Lancaster’s sexuality based on faulty evidence (his swimsuit). To me, that was a harmless story that demonstrated how clueless and stubborn the guy is but the mods took it a different way.
I joined TCM forum in Jan 2020, so wasn't around long. I had had a problem with TB in March and we exchanged pm. I was candid. It did not go well. Towards the end of TCM forum I saw a lot of criticism of that member. I was unaware anyone else had ever had a problem.
Virtually no one who posted there frequently for over a year liked that guy. If you go to his forum you will notice it’s largely made up of two kinds of people:

1. Newbie users who joined TCM forums right before it shut down

2. People who posted “on and off” very infrequently and probably didn’t interact with him much

That is why I think it won’t be long before the people on his site learn how annoying he can be and eventually flee from the site, leaving him to rule over an empty site and rant maniacally at himself sort of like Klaus Kinski in the ending scene of Aguirre, the Wrath of God.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Dargo wrote: December 4th, 2022, 5:21 pm To be honest here, I always felt kind'a sorry for the guy. Bright, but who has questionable, at best, people skills.

(...you know, kind'a like say "A Low-Rent Sheldon Cooper")
From what I recall, Mr. Cooper was at least an atheist and would never without irony refer to himself as “God.”
laffite

Post by laffite »

I'm no psychiatrist but adopting the moniker God like this borders on Psychosis. What normal person, especially with the reputation he knows he has, would do this especially with his desire to gain as many members (devotees, worshipers, whatever) as possible. Can he not know that he is risking an exodus of one or a few or a lot of of members. Unless, there is some explanation that he has already explained on some post that is immediately not visible. Maybe it's some kind of a joke.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

LostHorizons wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:10 pm ...Virtually no one who posted there frequently for over a year liked that guy. If you go to his forum you will notice it’s largely made up of two kinds of people:
2. People who posted “on and off” very infrequently and probably didn’t interact with him much
That is why I think it won’t be long before the people on his site learn how annoying he can be and eventually flee from the site, leaving him to rule over an empty site and rant maniacally at himself sort of like Klaus Kinski in the ending scene of Aguirre, the Wrath of God.
There are a couple of TCM longtime members over there that I enjoyed. "Rant" sheesh...reminds me. That is what Duckbilled had accused me of doing along with "toxic" and "tirade" none of which was true, fair or warranted in that unimportant thread St. Patrick's Day thread. The arbiter of ALL has no fan in me. Is this "g-d" thing true?
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Allhallowsday wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:01 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:10 pm ...Virtually no one who posted there frequently for over a year liked that guy. If you go to his forum you will notice it’s largely made up of two kinds of people:
There are a couple of TCM longtime members over there that I enjoyed. "Rant" sheesh...reminds me. That is what Duckbilled had accused me of doing along with "toxic" and "tirade" none of which was true, fair or warranted in that unimportant thread St. Patrick's Day thread. The arbiter of ALL has no fan in me. Is this "g-d" thing true?
Yes, if you scroll down to his posts and look at his avatar, it says “God” on the side.

https://classicfilmtvradio.freeforums.n ... d/146/imdb
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

It is. I think it's part of the labels he assigned within the ranking system. Users on ProBoards can be ranked based on the number of posts they have made, and he's set up several different levels. The admins can configure the ranking levels and the name assigned to each level. The rank name appears under their user name in posts. The top rank apparently is God.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

txfilmfan wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:35 pm
It is. I think it's part of the labels he assigned within the ranking system. Users on ProBoards can be ranked based on the number of posts they have made, and he's set up several different levels. The admins can configure the ranking levels and the name assigned to each level. The rank name appears under their user name in posts. The top rank apparently is God.
If it is based on posts, other users will get it as a membership ranking as well. From what I see, Top is the only one who has it under his avatar though that might just be because he made the most posts. As Laffite mentioned on the old site, his very user name “Topbilled” even reeks of condescension.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

LostHorizons wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:42 pm

If it is based on posts, other users will get it as a membership ranking as well. From what I see, Top is the only one who has it under his avatar though that might just be because he made the most posts. As Laffite mentioned on the old site, his very user name “Topbilled” even reeks of condescension.
Yes. He and a couple of others seemed to be very intent on racking up post counts on TCM's forum. As an admin on his own site, he can adjust the post count thresholds at any time, so he can keep the top category "exclusive."
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

txfilmfan wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:54 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:42 pm

Yes. He and a couple of others seemed to be very intent on racking up post counts on TCM's forum. As an admin on his own site, he can adjust the post count thresholds at any time, so he can keep the top category "exclusive."
I am surprised no one has called him out as of yet. I want to hear what his explanation is for calling himself “god.” That is bizarre even by his histrionic and narcissistic standards.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Also while on the subject of his avatar, it always rubbed me the wrong way how he calls himself “film journalist” even though I don’t think has ever officially published an actual book or journal article.
Masha

Post by Masha »

LostHorizons wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:10 pm
I must wonder how well he keeps track of his shifting spectrum of sock puppets. I believe it quite possible that the site could be active for a long time with him not aware that all the posters are him.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Masha wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:46 pm
I must wonder how well he keeps track of his shifting spectrum of sock puppets. I believe it quite possible that the site could be active for a long time with him not aware that all the posters are him.
Topbilled’s forum in three months after he’s driven away everyone not a sock puppet or a bot:

“I Jarrod MacDonald, shall put on my ‘gay swim trunks’ just like Burt Lancaster in The Swimmer and I shall rule the greatest classic film discussion board in all of history. Who else is with me?”
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

[/quote]

The King of Monkey Island.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:46 pm
You should write the next episode (if there be one) of The Twilight Zone. That last couple of lines sounds scrumptiously creepy.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Just perused the site recently created by a TCM ex-pat and noticed many followed him and some are on this one as well.
All well and good, but I also noticed that two posters from the highly politicized TCM Off Topics have already posted very political comments on the other site.
Probably won't sign up with the other one because I would just go down that bad road again and I don't need that anymore. I'll stay with movies, TV's and so forth. Oh, he is offering prizes for those who post the most each month.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.