Humorous Memes

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: Memes

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:13 pm
laffite wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:50 pm
With respect Dargo and also out of respect for remarks earlier by Masha, is this a meme? This seem a straight joke to me. It also has a copyright, shown at the bottom of the cartoon.

Not stirring up anything and not to make a correction, per se , just trying to make sense of what the imperative is in following the instruction attached to the thread.

Thank you, Dargo ; thank you, Masha ...

I respectfully crave guidance : - )

--laffite
True memes do not have copyrights.

The problem which I see is that the copyright holder might issue a takedown notice. That might not sound onerous because a moderator can remove it with ease but I believe that we should keep in mind that all the moderators, admins and IT are volunteers and they maintain this site as a legacy. They are not very involved on day-to-day basis because they migrated long ago to a page on: Facespace.

I can not speak for others or judge others on such matters but I would be horrified if any action of mine caused a moderator/admin/IT to decide that the work to keep the site legal is more than it is worth and pulls the plug. I have seen in other places at other times that a very minor matter was: "the straw that broke the camel's back" and had repercussions far exceeding the magnitude of the offense.
...and so I take it the post will probably be removed (or perhaps letting it slide by).

Facespace? Was that intentional? I hope it was because it's funny.

What about the TP, was that a meme? It's true we all defecate which would make it meme-ish in that it involves something we all do and that needs perhaps just a little something else to make it "go viral" which i believe is part of a standard definition that one see's online. But it stands alone as a joke in being just damn funny.

---laffite
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I have no idea what you boys are talking about. A Meme? What in the heck is that? Is that like a selfie? I do know that when you finally make the move to under the overpass, bring your bucket and all the toilet paper you have on hand because soon enough you will be using your hand.
Last edited by Thompson on December 4th, 2022, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:34 pm
Aaah! So then Masha, you're sayin' there ARE differences to be discerned and considered between your new thread here at SSO and with that of the old TCM boards "Funny Stuff" thread, eh?! And, with the primary issue to be discerned and considered in this case being any possible copyright infringment issues which could arise if someone posts a copyrighted cartoon such as I just have, eh?!
The "Funny Stuff" thread had many Tweets, YouTube and Facebook posts. I hope that we can avoid those here because they are rarely truly funny and it generates revenue on those sites.

It had also a great number of copyright infringements. That did not matter greatly because they had a bevy of paid staff to handle takedown notices and other such matters.

I feel that it is only right that I tread a little more carefully here. Memes are safe and there is a huge number of truly hilarious ones.

Please keep in mind that none of the images I post to this thread are original to me. I attempt to compensate for my lack of creativity by stealing only the best.

YMMV

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

All art is stolen, well maybe not stolen but up for sale. Or maybe not up for sale but there for the stealing. I’m positive the artist couldn’t care less if his art is stolen. “Good luck with it,” he says, “I’m glad to be rid of it.”
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:47 pm
...and so I take it the post will probably be removed (or perhaps letting it slide by).

Facespace? Was that intentional? I hope it was because it's funny.

What about the TP, was that a meme? It's true we all defecate which would make it meme-ish in that it involves something we all do and that needs perhaps just a little something else to make it "go viral" which i believe is part of a standard definition that one see's online. But it stands alone as a joke in being just damn funny.

---laffite
It seems often that each copyright holder has their own formula for handling infringements. Many simply ignore them as long as they are on free site. I greatly suspect that that is what will happen with what Darguo posted. Other copyright holders will ignore postings of material which is older and out of their primary revenue stream. Some copyright holders are so protective that they will issue a takedown notice, send a cease-and-desist letter and alert the FBI to a violation. Disney is best known example of that last type.

'Facespace' is intentional. It is companion to: 'MyBook'. It is part of my naturally subversive humor/humour to attempt to give the impression that I hold them so far beneath serious consideration that I do not even know what they call themselves.

The Jim Benton cartoons which I have posted are not truly memes. That is me coloring slightly outside the lines which I established. "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Emerson. I can post those in safety as he has given his works public license stating that they may appear on any free site.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Thompson wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:17 pm All art is stolen, well maybe not stolen but up for sale. Or maybe not up for sale but there for the stealing. I’m positive the artist couldn’t care less if his art is stolen. “Good luck with it,” he says, “I’m glad to be rid of it.”
I am sorry to have to tell you that that simply is not true.

Artists earn their living by selling their work. Syndicates buy it so that people will visit their clients' sites and be exposed to their advertising. No one would buy it if it was free in all places. Cartoonists in particular are in danger of having to go out and find honest work if their drawings are widely distributed without copyright protection.

There are many who call themselves artists who do not care if it is copied but these are all hacks with little or no hope of having their humor or creativity support them.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Masha wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:38 pm
Thompson wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:17 pm All art is stolen, well maybe not stolen but up for sale. Or maybe not up for sale but there for the stealing. I’m positive the artist couldn’t care less if his art is stolen. “Good luck with it,” he says, “I’m glad to be rid of it.”
I am sorry to have to tell you that that simply is not true.

Artists earn their living by selling their work. Syndicates buy it so that people will visit their clients' sites and be exposed to their advertising. No one would buy it if it was free in all places. Cartoonists in particular are in danger of having to go out and find honest work if their drawings are widely distributed without copyright protection.

There are many who call themselves artists who do not care if it is copied but these are all hacks with little or no hope of having their humor or creativity support them.
Well, good luck to you Masha. Of course the artist has to make a living. But I’m not sure making a living has to do much with art. They don’t go together. Call it something else then, don’t call it art, call it survival or panhandling or whatever you want, stealing and thieving and cheating and grubbing around for your next meal. That’s what I do, call it that, and grub around, and I can’t draw at all.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

But I’m on a rant right now, off topic and everything, and I’m not an artist. I’m a semi-llama. For those of you unfamiliar with the term semi-llama, it means a person who thinks he’s really something but isn’t.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Masha

Post by Masha »

Masha

Post by Masha »