new forum suggestion

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Lomm
Administrator

Re: new forum suggestion

Post by Lomm »

EP Millstone wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:52 am
Lomm wrote: December 7th, 2022, 9:52 am Alright, we have Animated films and Documentaries forums now under "The Films". :) Please try them out and let me know of any problems.
Nailed it again, Lomm! Thank you!

S'il vous plait and at your leisure and convenience, is it possible to put the THE FILMS subforums in alphabetical order (Action and Adventure, Animated Films, Comedies, Documentaries, Dramas, etc.)?
Aren't you glad that the SSO has more members to pester you? ;)
Alright they are alphabetical now. :)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:04 am Alright they are alphabetical now. :)
THANK YOU, LOMM!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Lomm wrote: December 7th, 2022, 9:52 am
EP Millstone wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:26 pm
ziggy6708a wrote: December 6th, 2022, 3:51 pm

probably in the general genre forums
TCM doesn't air many real animated films...
just old (MGM?)cartoons
:roll:
LiamCasey wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:38 pm Is there an existing forum for documentaries? If not, should one be added?
My suggestions: If Animated Films and Documentaries categories can be created, please make them subforums in The Films.

Also "Please" and "Thank you!" would probably be welcomed by the administrators.
Alright, we have Animated films and Documentaries forums now under "The Films". :) Please try them out and let me know of any problems.

:smiley_worship:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
laffite

Post by laffite »

The most glittering thank you in the history of thank yous. And well deserved.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

System Administrator,

Please consider adding a Mysteries and Thrillers forum to THE FILMS section.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Maybe I'm wrong (please don't start a poll) but it seems to me that mysteries falls under Crime and Noir, while thrillers would fall under sci-fi and horror, or maybe even crime and noir, depending on the content.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:54 am Maybe I'm wrong (please don't start a poll) but it seems to me that mysteries falls under Crime and Noir, while thrillers would fall under sci-fi and horror, or maybe even crime and noir, depending on the content.
Lomm,

Thank you for you response.

When I think of mysteries, I think of movies such as The Bat Whispers, The Thin Man and its sequels, The Woman in White, And Then There Were None, Rebecca, the Knives Out movies, and series featuring sleuths such as Sherlock Holmes, Bulldog Drummond, Charlie Chan, Mr. Moto, Philo Vance, and Miss Marple. Yeah, crimes are involved and the cinematography, plots, and tone of some of my examples could be described as "Noirish." But for me, a defining characteristic of mysteries is Who Done It?

The rubric "Thriller" can include a lot of different genres, including Science-Fiction and Horror Films. But I would not lump Seven Keys to Baldpate, Gaslight, The Seventh Victim, Ghost Ship, The Lodger, Hangover Square, Seven Days to Noon, The Satan Bug, and Wait Until Dark in the same category as Things to Come, Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolfman.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lomm wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:54 am Maybe I'm wrong (please don't start a poll) but it seems to me that mysteries falls under Crime and Noir, while thrillers would fall under sci-fi and horror, or maybe even crime and noir, depending on the content.
Methinks you are being sent on a fool's errand.

"There are 13 basic movie genres: Action, Crime, Drama, Fantasy, Horror, Comedy, Romance, Science Fiction, Sports, Thriller, Mystery, War, and Western. Then, there are more than 90 movie subgenres, ranging from space travel sci-fi to contemporary westerns." https://academy.wedio.com/movie-genres/ ... 0westerns.

I believe that you would have to create a forum for each subgenre. I have no idea how you would separate existing threads in a genre forum into their proper subgenre forum.

It is also that it is mostly subjective opinion which subgenre a movie best fits because good movies often straddle themes/motifs and there are justifications to naming it in several subgenres.

I can use as example: Serenity (2005). It is science fiction because the setting is in space and on various planets. It is war because the Reavers are against the Alliance. It is horror because of the constant threat of what Reavers do to civilians. It is mystery because no one know why the Alliance seeks to capture River Tam. It is crime because the main characters are thieves and smugglers. It is action because fights range from one-on-one to battle fleet-against-battle fleet. It is political thriller because a secret could bring down the government. It is western because many people wear six-shooters and ride horses and many areas are mostly 18th Century subsistence with a minimal amount of futuristic technology. It happens to be also a delightfully funny movie.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I feel like there are already almost too many forums, but I don't see a way to consolidate what we have very easily. Adding more just makes it harder to moderate. Frankly, we don't have moderators right now, besides me and very occasionally movieman. Neither of us has time to be here as often as we'd like, and I generally stick to the technical stuff rather than the "moderating" things like reported posts, locking threads or banning people, that sort of thing. But I have been doing that lately. Maybe I should ban me. :lol:
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I have always considered mystery, crime and thriller as pretty much the same category. Maybe list all four types (including noir) in the title?
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

It appears that some people want to completely remake the SOS board. Get one accommodation and then request another change - ad infinitum.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Masha wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 2:39 pm "There are 13 basic movie genres: Action, Crime, Drama, Fantasy, Horror, Comedy, Romance, Science Fiction, Sports, Thriller, Mystery, War, and Western. Then, there are more than 90 movie subgenres, ranging from space travel sci-fi to contemporary westerns." https://academy.wedio.com/movie-genres/ ... 0westerns.
Hmm ... I would consider Tor Johnson movies to be in their own genre - to say nothing of Marie Osmond films.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Masha wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 2:39 pm Methinks you are being sent on a fool's errand.
Masha,

You have a nasty tendency to personalize discussions that have viewpoints with which you disagree. It's a new year. I suggest that you make a resolution to henceforth resist that tendency.

And if it unwise to disagree with you because you're inclined to wrap your hands around the throats of your opponents . . .

I've got hands too, Strangler.
Masha wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 2:39 pm ". . . It is also that it is mostly subjective opinion which subgenre a movie best fits because good movies often straddle themes/motifs and there are justifications to naming it in several subgenres.

I can use as example: Serenity (2005) . . .
You also have a tendency to resort to foolish, ridiculous arguments to make your point.

I challenge you to go into any book store, library, and video store (if they exist in your neighborhood) or tune in to a movie channel and find Serenity novelizations and Serenity home entertainment media shelved in the War Movie, Horror Film, Mystery, Crime, Action-Adventure, Political Thriller, Western, or Comedy sections or find broadcasts of Serenity on channels focused on those genres.
Masha wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 2:39 pm It is science fiction because the setting is in space and on various planets.
Exactly! End of discussion.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 3:38 pm It appears that some people want to completely remake the SOS board. Get one accommodation and then request another change - ad infinitum.
. . . says the guy who requested a Noir City forum.

I don't see anything wrong with continuous improvement.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 3:33 pm I have always considered mystery, crime and thriller as pretty much the same category. Maybe list all four types (including noir) in the title?
I like that idea, ElCid!

Lomm,

If there is a character limitation on forum titles, I'd suggest Thrillers, which covers crime-dramas, mysteries, suspensers, and Film Noir.

Or to make it easier on you, would it be possible to change the current name of the Film Noir and Crime forum to Crime-Mystery-Thriller or Thrillers? ("Film Noir" is doing double duty in The Films section and in Noir Alley). That way you and the other moderators would not have one more forum to manage.
Last edited by EP Millstone on January 3rd, 2023, 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.