Noir Alley

EP Millstone

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:52 pm Boy, that Millstone knows his stuff. We want EP Millstone as moderator and general manager. He gets things done, doesn’t straddle the fence, doesn’t take no for an answer. Helps those in need without taking credit, always starts every day with a smile. I guess we could get a petition up to get Millstone elected president of the board.
Even I wouldn't want to live in that world!

But, thanks for the compliments, Thompson.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

No offense, of course, to Sue Sue, movieman, moira (how do you pronounce that?) and Lzcutter.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Oh man, that’s the gal’s name in The Grifters. I did not like the movie. The novel by Jim Thompson is plenty good. He’s a good writer, he’s not an author he’s a writer. Yes sir. Best known I guess for The Killer Inside Me, but The Getaway is his masterpiece. Did you get the name Moira from the Grifters?
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:59 pm Oh man, that’s the gal’s name in The Grifters. I did not like the movie. The novel by Jim Thompson is plenty good. He’s a good writer, he’s not an author he’s a writer. Yes sir. Best known I guess for The Killer Inside Me, but The Getaway is his masterpiece. Did you get the name Moira from the Grifters?
Thompson,

Alas, moderator Moira Finnie "crossed over" earlier this year.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Well, cross back over Moira, it can’t be that hard, lots of people do it, actors and musicians and artists do it all the time. That’s why we speak of them in the present tense.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Reminder: 12/10-11 feature is Walk Softly Stranger. Don't recall having seen this one, so will have to watch it.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Testing one two three adding a new post to this topic so it comes up when you log in. This is the thread. Navigation is killing me. It’s much more complicated than the one that shut down.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Noir Alley on TCM. Okay, better write that down.
ElCid

Re: Noir Alley

Post by ElCid »

OK, to eliminate confusion (my fault) I have changed the title of this thread to simply Noir Alley as it is under the TCM section.
So, the Noir Alley on TCM I created on Film and Noir should hopefully die out and all comments be on this one under the TCM section.
Sorry for the confusion.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Noir Alley. Good that’s easy to remember.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

ElCid wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:23 am Not sure what happened. Is there some type of delay on this site between selecting submit and it actually showing up. I posted a comment re: today's Noir Alley feature and now I can't find it.
So, I''ll do it again. Watched Decoy and found it entertaining and worth watching and also realized I had seen it several years ago. I think Eddie's commentaries greatly improve the presentations and did in this one. I found Jean Gillie to be the perfect Femme Fatale - not a decent bone in her body. Whereas in Out of the Past, Double Indemnity and so forth, the women are bad, but have some moments of apparent goodness. Gillie never did. Too bad she did not do more movies.
I really liked Jean Gillie too. I love a villain that just goes all out on being the most vile, reprehensible person they can be, a love to hate them type. It's sad that Gillie died just a few years after "Decoy." She was in her early 30s and died of pneumonia.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Today's feature is one I saw so long ago I barely remembered it. However, it did keep my attention. Good little story and the acting was good.
Eddie had a point about the ending. I kind of enjoyed that it was upbeat, but it was not a noir ending. The as written original would have been more noir - and believable. Agreed with Eddie re: why Joseph Cotton had to go to jail since he stole money from an illegal gambler who had not reported it and was now in no condition to do so.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Little off topic, but wanted to mention that it is nice of people with "new" names to show their "old" TCM names on their posts - guess it is part of "signature."
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I liked it too. I liked Joseph Cotton in this one, and I’m not a fan of his. I thought the dialogue was refreshing, it was off beat and seemed off the cuff, not on the cuff. Forget the ending, I’ve noticed lots of good noir films have rotten endings. Since there really is no “drinks left undrunk “ in this one, I will comment on lips. Valli has very nice ones indeed, and Cotton has seductive lips too. My favorite gal though (oh and she is a terrific dancer) was the woman stood up by Cotton on that date scene. Then he apologizes and dances with her. She (I don’t her name) was exceptional and sexy as all get out in that brief scene. That scene will stay with me,
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: December 10th, 2022, 3:25 pm Testing one two three adding a new post to this topic so it comes up when you log in. This is the thread. Navigation is killing me. It’s much more complicated than the one that shut down.
No fear, it will get easier. I felt that way too but I am warming up to it. Every post gets a front and center. There is something good in that. The first look in the morning gives you the most recent posts. It's like reading the morning paper, you don't know what you'll get. If you are not into breaking news, you can always descend to a favorite thread below. There are some folks who are participating in in the Trivia and Games that I don't remember seeing before (as I frequented some of them over there). The are posting because they have been introduced to them by the "morning newspaper." Knowing your post will get at least a front page exposure is good, even though it may go unliked, unthanked, UnFunnied, and Unquoted. At least it had a moment in the sun, though perhaps for not long. In Sight means In Mind. All this which presupposes there is value in Community.

I'm not missing the TCM Board, which is almost shocking to me. On that Board, individual threads are insular, they get a "local" appearance but remain unknown to the general crowd, i.e. no inclusion. Which may not be a good thing, I am thinking just now that if all the Political posts on TCM had been funneled through a Recent Topics thread, i.e. the front page potentially viewed by all) like we have here, the political threads would not have lasted long, the general outcry may have been to strong. Favorite threads that may or not may turn into "cliques" (made of members who go to one thread or maybe a few and nowhere else.) Hell rages in the political threads which drives folks away from the good threads in Off-Topic TCM. And there have two or three already who have told me that they never knew of my Classical Music Thread because they did not know it was even there.. The genre threads were a series of ghost towns. There were some who used it but I would opine not that many. I didn't post down there because I was under the impression that there was a lack of traffic. Now if all those posts had been housed in a forum where each post was front page fodder, then :smiley_cheer:
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country