TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Dargo

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: December 9th, 2022, 1:54 pm
I admit it, I am seeking acclaim for having identified the still. I actually posted it last night but deleted and posted it again because I wanted to respond to EP Millstone's original post so he would see it and be impressed :smiley_happygroup: . Yes I am proud of myself :smiley_cheer: I knew the answer right away. I knew the answer in about .7 seconds. Move over, Google.

It was easy because I saw the picture on its first release. There was a lot of buzz in the newspaper because it was being hailed as an unusually sensitive take on mental illness. I don't remember much of it but I remember Kier Dullea's character had an extreme dislike of being touched by another human being. He came across as a terminal sissy. Uh, laffite ... how about a little sensitivity towards mental illness! Okay, got it. :headbang:

Okay, sheepish laffite being so needy here, a glutton for recognition. :Blush2: At least on this one. Why, if this was the College Bowl I would have beaten out those geniuses. Sudden memory : Three College Bowl participants could not utter a single correct answer when three classical pieces were played. I got them in .5 seconds each. They were not difficult. War horses actually. I won't mention what they were although I remember two of them. Am I beginning to be insufferable yet? :director:

Okay, I'll go quietly.

:smiley_snoopy: It's about time. Yuck!
Ahem...excuse me here laffite ol' buddy, but have you considered switching to decaf?

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo, allow me to do you the honour of congratulating you on your brilliance. So now, you are flavour of the month!
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: December 8th, 2022, 6:19 pm Well, that's good enough for me.

You two experts cannot be denied.

The Mad Miss Manton it is!

:smiley_clap:
This clip does not show him entering but it plainly shows the door and the bureau by the window are the same.

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Masha

Post by Masha »

EP Millstone wrote: December 8th, 2022, 7:34 pm
[/centre]
My little Fuzzy has opined that he would comply by throwing a ball for her and then running as fast as he can in the opposite direction. It seems that enticing women with their own agenda strikes terror in him. I wonder why.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Cuthbert wrote: December 9th, 2022, 2:36 pm Dargo, allow me to do you the honour of congratulating you on your brilliance. So now, you are flavour of the month!
Hmmm...and here I've always thought the flavo(u)r of the month of December as being peppermint?!!! Okay, and maybe eggnog too.

(...however, I'll still gladly accept this hono(u)r bestowed upon me here)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: December 9th, 2022, 2:47 pm
laffite wrote: December 8th, 2022, 6:19 pm Well, that's good enough for me.

You two experts cannot be denied.

The Mad Miss Manton it is!

:smiley_clap:
This clip does not show him entering but it plainly shows the door and the bureau by the window are the same.

I watched the same clip and I agree with you. Although you did the footwork, our splendid Bronxgirl48 called it originally. Merci bien, a toutes deux
Mona
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: December 9th, 2022, 2:11 pm
laffite wrote: December 9th, 2022, 1:54 pm
I admit it, I am seeking acclaim for having identified the still. I actually posted it last night but deleted and posted it again because I wanted to respond to EP Millstone's original post so he would see it and be impressed :smiley_happygroup: . Yes I am proud of myself :smiley_cheer: I knew the answer right away. I knew the answer in about .7 seconds. Move over, Google.

It was easy because I saw the picture on its first release. There was a lot of buzz in the newspaper because it was being hailed as an unusually sensitive take on mental illness. I don't remember much of it but I remember Kier Dullea's character had an extreme dislike of being touched by another human being. He came across as a terminal sissy. Uh, laffite ... how about a little sensitivity towards mental illness! Okay, got it. :headbang:

Okay, sheepish laffite being so needy here, a glutton for recognition. :Blush2: At least on this one. Why, if this was the College Bowl I would have beaten out those geniuses. Sudden memory : Three College Bowl participants could not utter a single correct answer when three classical pieces were played. I got them in .5 seconds each. They were not difficult. War horses actually. I won't mention what they were although I remember two of them. Am I beginning to be insufferable yet? :director:

Okay, I'll go quietly.

:smiley_snoopy: It's about time. Yuck!
Ahem...excuse me here laffite ol' buddy, but have you considered switching to decaf?

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)
LOL

Ii was practicing my emoticon skills.

Or were you referring to my incessant blab skills.

Emoticon Review
The below emoticon is labeled "Duh." I see it as "misty eyes ready to cry
:smiley_duh:
Mona
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:58 pm I don't know, the site here seems much busier than it was a few weeks ago....
I need to keep remembering to visit this board now and make it part of my routine. I'm trying to do my part get it rolling. I can be a Chatty Cathy, even online. Lol.

I only wish that the keyboard <Ctrl> functions worked. I usually type with <Ctrl+C> <Ctrl+B> <Ctrl+I>, etc. and those functions don't work on this board. You have to manually click on the formatting buttons and type between the code and that is just too slow for me. Lol. Quotations and CAPS for emphasis might make a comeback.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:15 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:12 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:01 pm As for the whole "God" thing and TB, I was once part of a website based on the same forum software (it was the movie group that kicked me to the curb), and I am pretty sure that the site creator always gets "God" listed next to his name, and the same might be true for the most frequent posters
I just checked and yes, instead of something before "member" (e.g. New Member, Full Member etc..), under TB's it says "God".

Yea, that is odd, at best. You say "the site creator always gets "God" listed next to his name"; are you saying this is some type of default that the site creator has no control over? (because if not, for the site creator to do that themselves, is out-there).
I think it might be a default, I just went and looked at the site I was kicked out of, and several are marked as "God tier"
May I ask what you did to get kicked out of a movie group? I cannot imagine you being controversial! Lol.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

LostHorizons wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:33 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:01 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:10 pm ...Virtually no one who posted there frequently for over a year liked that guy. If you go to his forum you will notice it’s largely made up of two kinds of people:
1. Newbie users who joined TCM forums right before it shut down
2. People who posted “on and off” very infrequently and probably didn’t interact with him much
That is why I think it won’t be long before the people on his site learn how annoying he can be and eventually flee from the site, leaving him to rule over an empty site and rant maniacally at himself sort of like Klaus Kinski in the ending scene of Aguirre, the Wrath of God.
There are a couple of TCM longtime members over there that I enjoyed. "Rant" sheesh...reminds me. That is what Duckbilled had accused me of doing along with "toxic" and "tirade" none of which was true, fair or warranted in that unimportant thread St. Patrick's Day thread. The arbiter of ALL has no fan in me. Is this "g-d" thing true?
Yes, if you scroll down to his posts and look at his avatar, it says “God” on the side.

https://classicfilmtvradio.freeforums.n ... d/146/imdb
You'd think that "God" could get rid of the pop-up ads on his site. Geez.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

LostHorizons wrote: December 4th, 2022, 11:25 pm Also while on the subject of his avatar, it always rubbed me the wrong way how he calls himself “film journalist” even though I don’t think has ever officially published an actual book or journal article.
Exactly. I think his description used to say something like "Selective Film Journalism" which must mean that he was so selective that he didn't write anything. Also, typically to be a professional writer of any capacity, you have to be able to accept criticism. We all know that he's not capable of that.
Masha

Post by Masha »

speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:42 pm
I only wish that the keyboard <Ctrl> functions worked. I usually type with <Ctrl+C> <Ctrl+B> <Ctrl+I>, etc. and those functions don't work on this board. You have to manually click on the formatting buttons and type between the code and that is just too slow for me. Lol. Quotations and CAPS for emphasis might make a comeback.
My preferred method is to type what I wish, go back and highlight what I want formatted differently and then use the formatting button.

I find this type of method most helpful with posting images. To use the formatting button and then paste the url in the correct place is often a little fidgety and I do not know if I was on the wrong side of a bracket until I post. That requires using the editing function to change. It is much faster and easier to simply paste the url, highlight it and use the formatting button to put the required code around it.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

ElCid wrote: December 5th, 2022, 10:28 am Oh, he is offering prizes for those who post the most each month.
LOL! I wonder how many months Tuberculosis will save himself a buck because he "just happened" to win the prize himself.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:46 pm May I ask what you did to get kicked out of a movie group? I cannot imagine you being controversial! Lol.
Here's the story on The TCM Message Boards. . . . or in the modern vernacular, here's the tea.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

EP Millstone wrote: December 9th, 2022, 10:23 pm
speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:46 pm May I ask what you did to get kicked out of a movie group? I cannot imagine you being controversial! Lol.
Here's the story on The TCM Message Boards. . . . or in the modern vernacular, here's the tea.
To Cinemainternational if you see this, what is the film that reminded you of being manipulated? Were you abused? I can’t imagine reacting this way to any film. I’m sure there is more to it but the “therapy” line from the leader of the site seems like a genuine suggestion and not an insult, in this case.