TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CinemaInternational

Re: TCM announces it is sunsetting the TCM Forums

Post by CinemaInternational »

LostHorizons wrote: December 10th, 2022, 12:31 am
EP Millstone wrote: December 9th, 2022, 10:23 pm
speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:46 pm May I ask what you did to get kicked out of a movie group? I cannot imagine you being controversial! Lol.
Here's the story on The TCM Message Boards. . . . or in the modern vernacular, here's the tea.
To Cinemainternational if you see this, what is the film that reminded you of being manipulated? Were you abused? I can’t imagine reacting this way to any film. I’m sure there is more to it but the “therapy” line from the leader of the site seems like a genuine suggestion and not an insult, in this case.
It was Call Me by Your Name, and it was because of an even earlier horrible time in the internet. I was part of a website as a teen, and I thought all had been going swimmingly, until I had an issue with one member who I realize now was obviously a narcissist. So, I was hurt, because it was the first time I had ever had anyone attack me. And I had obviously made it clear how at loose ends I was. And that was one other person moved in for the kill. I thought he had been a friend, he kept saying what a favorite of his I was. I was naive, took at at face value, but then he started coming at me saying in private discussions of all of his lurid sexual fantasies, with me in the center of them. I was so depressed and so desperate not to lose another friend that I submitted to this endless cyber seduction for several months, even though it unnerved me. I was 17 at the time. He was considerably older; he used my vulnerability to get what he wanted, to abuse me. And then the one I had issues with originally found out about it, and revealed it publicly, to use as a battering ram against me. It was bad, and it made me feel unclean.
Last edited by CinemaInternational on December 10th, 2022, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masha

Post by Masha »

speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 10:06 pm
ElCid wrote: December 5th, 2022, 10:28 am Oh, he is offering prizes for those who post the most each month.
LOL! I wonder how many months Tuberculosis will save himself a buck because he "just happened" to win the prize himself.
It would be fair. Is there the slightest suspicion of a hint of a possibility that he will not make more posts than every other user? It would not surprise me if his monthly total was more than any four other posters added together.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

And as for the therapy call on the other website, at first it was advice, but then it was turned into a weapon again me.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 10th, 2022, 2:59 am

Here's the story on The TCM Message Boards. . . . or in the modern vernacular, here's the tea.
To Cinemainternational if you see this, what is the film that reminded you of being manipulated? Were you abused? I can’t imagine reacting this way to any film. I’m sure there is more to it but the “therapy” line from the leader of the site seems like a genuine suggestion and not an insult, in this case.
It was Call Me by Your Name, and it was because of an even earlier horrible time in the internet. I was part of a website as a teen, and I thought all had been going swimmingly, until I had an issue with one member who I realize now was obviously a narcissist. So, I was hurt, because it was the first time I had ever had anyone attack me. And I had obviously made it clear how at loose ends I was. And that was one other person moved in for the kill. I thought he had been a friend, he kept saying what a favorite of his I was. I was naive, took at at face value, but then he started coming at me saying in private discussions of all of his lurid sexual fantasies, with me in the center of them. I was so depressed and so desperate not to lose another friend that I submitted to this endless cyber seduction for several months, even though it unnerved me. I was 17 at the time. He was considerably older; he used my vulnerability to get what he wanted, to abuse me. And then the one I had issues with originally found out about it, and revealed it publicly, to use as a battering ram against me. It was bad, and it made me feel unclean.
Depending on the state you live in, that could be illegal. Either way, he is entirely to blame for that and anyone blaming you for it is just being an A hole.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

LostHorizons wrote: December 10th, 2022, 8:53 am Depending on the state you live in, that could be illegal. Either way, he is entirely to blame for that and anyone blaming you for it is just being an A hole.
Indeed.
Especially sinister because CinemaInternational is a really sweet guy & thoughtful poster!

I too was a vicim of abuse until getting therapy at 40 years old! My biggest breakthrough was the realization the victim isn't the one with the problem, the perp is & they count on you to take the responsibility.

I actually find it surprising how openly TopBald & his Sock Puppets foibles have been discussed on this thread. We all know who they are, what they're about. I'd just as soon ignore them & forget about them.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

TikiSoo wrote: December 10th, 2022, 10:08 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 10th, 2022, 8:53 am Depending on the state you live in, that could be illegal. Either way, he is entirely to blame for that and anyone blaming you for it is just being an A hole.

I actually find it surprising how openly TopBald & his Sock Puppets foibles have been discussed on this thread. We all know who they are, what they're about. I'd just as soon ignore them & forget about them.
It’s funny you say that actually because one of my resolutions for the new board was to not gossip as much but then I saw how obnoxious everyone else found Mr. McDonald (he doesn’t deserve the name Topbilled as he was never billed in any movies) and I just had to vent.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: December 9th, 2022, 12:48 pm Yes, the bedroom door/room looks very similar, I'd be surprised if it isn't. I haven't seen the film in awhile, but her door is on that side and I do remember him sneaking in, at least once.

I also seem to recall that once in Missy's bedroom, they both stare out her large window and talk about social issues -- how she, although now a socialite, came from a blue-collar family whose father was a hard worker or something along those lines, and that's when Henry really starts to fall in love. (don't hold me to these memories, though, lol. I do need to see the movie again) MANTON is a Depression-era screwball romantic comedy/mystery with some interesting of-its-time components.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:42 pm ... Quotations and CAPS for emphasis might make a comeback.
Whaddaya MEAN by "a comeback" here, speedy???

;)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Dargo wrote: December 10th, 2022, 1:30 pm
speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:42 pm ...and CAPS for emphasis might make a comeback.

;)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

speedracer5 wrote: December 9th, 2022, 9:42 pm ...and CAPS for emphasis might make a comeback.

;)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: December 10th, 2022, 1:32 pm

;)
Seems laffite isn't the only one who should make the switch to decaf. 🥸
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

LostHorizons wrote: December 10th, 2022, 8:53 am It’s funny you say that actually because one of my resolutions for the new board was to not gossip as much but (snipped) I just had to vent.
I never found you "gossipy" in fact, found you most dignified & polite. The Ronald Coleman avatar suits you far better than O'Toole imho.
Masha

Post by Masha »

LostHorizons wrote: December 10th, 2022, 10:42 am
It’s funny you say that actually because one of my resolutions for the new board was to not gossip as much but then I saw how obnoxious everyone else found Mr. McDonald (he doesn’t deserve the name Topbilled as he was never billed in any movies) and I just had to vent.
Venting is tension release of anger created by past events. Gossip is actively pursuing new material to form the basis of new complaints.

You vented. You did not gossip.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

TikiSoo wrote: December 10th, 2022, 2:09 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 10th, 2022, 8:53 am It’s funny you say that actually because one of my resolutions for the new board was to not gossip as much but (snipped) I just had to vent.
I never found you "gossipy" in fact, found you most dignified & polite. The Ronald Coleman avatar suits you far better than O'Toole imho.
I don't think he ever had Peter O'Toole as his avatar. You may be thinking of someone else.

LostHorizons was Sukhov on the TCM Boards, with this guy as his avatar:

Watching until the end.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 10th, 2022, 2:59 am

This reminds me of some of my experiences on the AIM chat rooms as a kid in the 1990s. The chat rooms were a lot of fun and a way to connect with others with shared interests, but there were some people who took advantage of the anonymity of "words on a screen" to cyber stalk and "over-share" (to put it mildly).
I had a situation where I blocked someone, but then the creep created a new screen name and messaged me: "Why did you block me?"