POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

Hibi

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll ends tomorrow!

Post by Hibi »

LIKE!
scsu1975

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? 3 DAYS LEFT!

Post by scsu1975 »

Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 3:02 pm Likes are in the lead again!
I think we're waiting on Maricopa County.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Not to heighten the suspense (though it may be nearing decisiveness) look for a SURGE in the final 24 hours. There are those lurking and thinking and thinking which may precipitate a ball of flame, a proliferation of votes never before seen.

:yahoo:
The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 4:39 pm Not to heighten the suspense (though it may be nearing decisiveness) look for a SURGE in the final 24 hours. There are those lurking and thinking and thinking which may precipitate a ball of flame, a proliferation of votes never before seen.

:yahoo:
One hopes that people are realizing how much simpler a "like" button would be, rather than having many of us using the quote function, responding with various icons and symbols -- or just the word "like: -- to say like. That would make this board a very cumbersome place, and more difficult to navigate. It's simply good practice and sensible strategy to allow a "like" button.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Density Alert

Cumbersome, yes (not to have a button) But why is harder to navigate?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 5:15 pm Density Alert

Because each cumbersome response, representing the various ways of saying "like," distances the "liked" post on a subject farther from someone who might want to make a more complex response. Quoting/responding is already a little more complicated on this board; adding another layer of response would make it more so. A simple like button would not create distance.

Also, someone who wanted to use an icon to say "like," might use a much larger icon, based on how much the poster liked a post. A simple like button would satisfy most people who simply want to say like, so that we don't have to resort to this:

Last edited by Swithin on December 21st, 2022, 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Watching until the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Cuthbert wrote: December 21st, 2022, 5:32 pm

Because each cumbersome response, representing the various ways of saying "like," distances the "liked" post on a subject farther from someone who might want to make a more complex response. Quoting/responding is already a little more complicated on this board; adding another layer of response would make it more so. A simple like button would not create distance.

Also, someone who wanted to use an icon to say "like," might use a much larger icon, based on how much the poster liked a post. A simple like button would satisfy most people who simply want to say like, so that we don't have to resort to this:

LIKE!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Cuthbert wrote: December 21st, 2022, 5:32 pm

I had already ceded the cumbersome part. How does this affect navigation? Is the answer embedded somewhere in your response that I missed.
laffite

Post by laffite »

The LAFFITE NEWS CHANNEL is now calling the race for LIKE. But is it enough to actually vault into existence this button or will if fall short. We go now to one of our news contributors to the Laffite News Channel for an analysis. Go ahead.

:smiley_snoopy: Beats me.

Thank you for that and now some Breaking News!!! Will Joan Bennett ever be SOTM! Our contributor is still here, what say you?

:smiley_snoopy: I think it's scheduled November 2036. Just before Christmas.

Thank you for watching LAFFITE NEWS CHANNEL!!!!

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Brilliant!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 7:43 pm The LAFFITE NEWS CHANNEL is now calling the race for LIKE. But is it enough to actually vault into existence this button or will if fall short. We go now to one of our news contributors to the Laffite News Channel for an analysis. Go ahead.

Thank you for that and now some Breaking News!!! Will Joan Bennett ever be SOTM! Our contributor is still here, what say you?

Not so fast. Someone from the other camp might call up the Secretary of State for the SSO to plead for a few more votes!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Cuthbert wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:05 pm
laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 7:43 pm The LAFFITE NEWS CHANNEL is now calling the race for LIKE. But is it enough to actually vault into existence this button or will if fall short. We go now to one of our news contributors to the Laffite News Channel for an analysis. Go ahead.

Not so fast. Someone from the other camp might call up the Secretary of State for the SSO to plead for a few more votes!
TFG would probably be on the other side. He would be be a LIKES person. Because he likes to be liked. It doesn't occur to him that someone might LIKE someone else. And he is a button person. He has a button that he has issued to all the militias. It reads : "I Like like." Very original. Anyone under the age of 60 may not get that last.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: December 21st, 2022, 9:01 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 21st, 2022, 8:05 pm

TFG would probably be on the other side. He would be be a LIKES person. Because he likes to be liked. It doesn't occur to him that someone might LIKE someone else. And he is a button person. He has a button that he has issued to all the militias. It reads : "I Like like." Very original. Anyone under the age of 60 may not get that last.
I'll by 59 in a few days, and have no memory at all of Ike, but I do know about his campaign slogan, likely because my grandparents collected political buttons, and Ike was one of them (even though they generally voted for the other party's candidates). It was also the basis of a song from the musical Call Me Madam, by Irving Berlin.

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LMREO!!! Something to look forward to. I hope I make it that far! :D