What actor/actress comes to mind?

EP Millstone

Re: What actor/actress comes to mind?

Post by EP Millstone »

Hang on! laffite's challenge was missed!
laffite wrote: December 30th, 2022, 7:44 pm next: belligerent
Charles Lane
ziggy6708a wrote: December 30th, 2022, 7:46 pm next: hated their singing
Jean Stapleton

Next: Well preserved
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
laffite

Post by laffite »

May I respectfully request that I not be quoted on GAMES AND TRIVIA threads. Unless there is a comment or something. It was never the norm over there, and for good reason. Soon two might find it oh so hilarious to play catch, quoting each other. Not quoting leaves open to the next passer by. Let us all have a chance at your wonderful clues. Seriously, no sarcasm.

But I'm just asking for myself. I would prefer not be quoted. This way if I see a quote at the top of the page, it might mean something more of interest. Thanks.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: December 30th, 2022, 8:48 pm May I respectfully request that I not be quoted on GAMES AND TRIVIA threads. Unless there is a comment or something. It was never the norm over there, and for good reason. Soon two might find it oh so hilarious to play catch, quoting each other. Not quoting leaves open to the next passer by. Let us all have a chance at your wonderful clues. Seriously, no sarcasm.

But I'm just asking for myself. I would prefer not be quoted. This way if I see a quote at the top of the page, it might mean something more of interest. Thanks.
And if I don't, what? Are you going to have a nervous breakdown?

Cool it with the picayunish, hyper-fussy rules!

Chill, laffite! This is a game, as in Fun 'n Games! It's recreation, not a chess match or The Lady, or the Tiger.

Seriously. No sarcasm.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

EP Millstone wrote: December 30th, 2022, 7:55 pm
Next: Well preserved
Helen Mirren

Next up: And now on the flip side of this...always looked much older than they actually were
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: December 30th, 2022, 9:20 pm
laffite wrote: December 30th, 2022, 8:48 pm May I respectfully request that I not be quoted on GAMES AND TRIVIA threads. Unless there is a comment or something. It was never the norm over there, and for good reason. Soon two might find it oh so hilarious to play catch, quoting each other. Not quoting leaves open to the next passer by. Let us all have a chance at your wonderful clues. Seriously, no sarcasm.

And if I don't, what? Are you going to have a nervous breakdown?

Cool it with the picayunish, hyper-fussy rules!

Chill, laffite! This is a game, as in Fun 'n Games! It's recreation, not a chess match or The Lady, or the Tiger.

Seriously. No sarcasm.
Okay, EP, chill out a little yourself. LOL.

I played the games 20 years at TCM. You never played the games. It was not customary to quote a clue in this thread, and others. I alluded to that ... in vain, I see. It is an FYI, nothing more.

Yes I'm a little fussy but it's all in good faith. I made a request, I did not issue any orders. I was at least civil.

And you say "And if I don't, what? Are you going to have a nervous breakdown?" What kind of response is that? Did I say anything like that to you?

And do mean that you would deny my request? As I mentioned I only asked for myself. I don't believe you would do that, it would certainly be beneath you. I take it that it was meant as a lead-in to a piece of sarcasm.

But apologies to you, and all. I had no intentional to annoy.

///
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: December 30th, 2022, 10:49 pm I played the games 20 years at TCM. You never played the games.
Yes, because I am not a gamer.

Why am I playing games on the SSO, you ask (I can sense you're asking)?

Simple answer: Because I feel like it.
laffite wrote: December 30th, 2022, 10:49 pm
And do mean that you would deny my request? As I mentioned I only asked for myself. I don't believe you would do that, it would certainly be beneath you . . .
You'd be shocked to learn how very little is beneath me.
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:44 am
laffite wrote: December 30th, 2022, 10:49 pm I played the games 20 years at TCM. You never played the games.

And do mean that you would deny my request? As I mentioned I only asked for myself. I don't believe you would do that, it would certainly be beneath you . . .
EP Millstone wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:44 am

No, that was not what I would have asked. I don't think you're a gamer either. I did not say you were nor do I think you are.

LOL, I'm not trying to be overly conciliatory but I think you like casting yourself as notorious. What I make of you is that you have a traditional view of common courtesy and proper etiquette as to know as not to do those things. After all you are a distinguished sort of person, a great reader, knowledgable as all get out. These things are consonant with civil discourse and manners, if you will. Or have I read too many Victorian novels, haha. I hope S.J. Perelman is not your role model, haha. I may be completely wrong. You may very well be a p r i c k but I have not seen anything of real consequence so far that would lead me to conclude that. Of course, I don't you know personally. Maybe I would be shocked if I did, haha.

//
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Dargo wrote: December 30th, 2022, 9:46 pm
Next up: And now on the flip side of this...always looked much older than they actually were
Jeanette Nolan

next: horn player
Watching until the end.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Holy smokes. You two should just kiss already. ;)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

LostHorizons wrote: December 31st, 2022, 12:52 pm Holy smokes. You two should just kiss already. ;)
Me and Dargo? Well, okay, I guess...pucker up, Groucho, Colin's coming in for the Big Smackeroo!

Watching until the end.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LawrenceA wrote: December 31st, 2022, 12:45 pm
Dargo wrote: December 30th, 2022, 9:46 pm
Jeanette Nolan

next: horn player
Jack Benny

Next up:

Wait! What's that you say? "Jack Benny/horn player, and not violinist?" Certainly you've at least watched Jack in THIS movie at least once, haven't you?! Ya know, it's actually a lot better than its reputation ;) ...

Okay, and NOW for next up: groomed to be a bigger star than they turned out to be
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: December 31st, 2022, 2:35 am . . . After all you are a distinguished sort of person, a great reader, knowledgable as all get out.
STOP! I'm getting a swelled head.

Knowledgeable as all get out . . . Not really. I was a poor student in school, which I hated, and I am shamelessly incurious about practically everything. Movies are my sole interest, and I'm losing interest in them as I get older.
laffite wrote: December 31st, 2022, 2:35 am I hope S.J. Perelman is not your role model, haha . . .
I wouldn't call SJP a role model. But, he is definitely an inspiration and one of my literary heroes. I share his P.O.V. about the life pastoral vs. metropolitan living. "The Great Outdoors" ain't so great, as far as I'm concerned. To paraphrase Captain Geoffrey T. Spaulding, The Great Outdoors is God's country, and He can have it!

Perelman often wrote about his farm in Bucks County, Pa. He described it as “an irregular patch of nettles bounded by short-term notes, containing a fool and his wife who didn’t know enough to stay in the city.” -- S.J. Perelman, the Rhode Island Wit Who Wrote Groucho’s Jokes
laffite wrote: December 31st, 2022, 2:35 am You may very well be a p r i c k but I have not seen anything of real consequence so far that would lead me to conclude that.
Well, either you've the charitableness of a saint or I need to try harder to lead you to the correct conclusion.

Verily you are a model of patience and charity, laffite. I should perhaps follow your admirable, sterling example.

. . . but, where would the fun be in that? 😈
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:07 pm . . . NOW for next up: groomed to be a bigger star than they turned out to be
Marion Davies

Next: His/Her fan base were hicks in the sticks.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

EP Millstone wrote: December 31st, 2022, 5:32 pm
Dargo wrote: December 31st, 2022, 1:07 pm . . . NOW for next up: groomed to be a bigger star than they turned out to be
Marion Davies

Next: His/Her fan base were hicks from the sticks.
"Tennessee Ernie Ford'

next: a great singer with impressive acting talent
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Frank Sinatra

Next- over the top