TV Christmas, when I was a kid in Philadelphia.

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
klondike

Post by klondike »

Seasons Greetings, JohnM!
'Fore Brother Hollis stops by to woolgather about the Philly yuletides of yore, thought I'd squeeze through real quick to remark that along with all my cherished memories of local Xmas airings in North Central New England, the first thing I always flash back to are those great little claymation ads Norelco used to run, with the festive li'l Santas riding the triple-head shavers down those sparkling Alpine slopes! :wink:
Weird, what captures those bright niches of Memory, ain't it!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klondike:

You are so right I remember those cute little santas too.

More than that though, I still think of The Cinnamon Bear and Suzy Snowflake. Also, seeing those things during the Christmas season (which actually started right around today's date), therefore making it a once a year deal, made the memories that much more cherished. Our kids and grandkids are stuffed with Christmas from Halloween, so they're a little bit jaded by the time the day arrives. I've noticed it's not just in my family but in some of my friends grandkids, the terrible jealousy of the older kids over the younger in regard to Mr. Jolly. Nobody is allowed to believe past the age of 5 it seems like, if they do, they're unmercifully teased out of it.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, Christmas decorations go up in September around here. The music starts before Thanksgiving. Several of the radio stations start playing Christmas music 24/7 immediately. Remember when we were "eased" into the music? One every couple of hours, then a week later, one an hour, etc. You didn't get all Christmas music till Christmas eve.
We're already scraping the bottom of the barrel, with such ditties as "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas", "Grandma got run over by a Reindeer", and some group whose singer practically MOANS "White Christmas".

This isn't exactly a "bah humbug", because I have the option to turn off the noise.

Speaking of "Suzy Snowflake", I found a CD of Rosemary Clooney's, with that song on it. Really brought back some memories.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks John! It's amazing how much we go back to our memories as we get older. "Suzy Snowflake" was my favorite Christmas song when I was very little, but it faded from popularity and was lost in the "mists of time"...til now.

What a fun way to start a snowy day!

Nancy
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Yes John:

Thanks a lot. I had forgotten about Hardrock, Coco, and Joe, and that particular version of Frosty. I guess being a little girl, Suzy Snowflake stuck in my mind because of her lacy gown. And I probably watched Cinnamon Bear until I was about 10, then all of a sudden one year I tuned into where it usually played and it was gone. There again is probably the reason I recall it so well, it was such a rude dismissal to a child.

This was a pleasant reminder though.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************